• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheerio Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
But the similarities end there surely? I mean, neither of them only won their Super Rugby titles due to an amazing playing roster bolstered by a committed back room free of political influence.. OK I'll just stop there.

:)

I was just struck by this thought: imagine if we'd lost 22-21, having held them scoreless after their last penalty, scoring a try after the bell out wide that Lilo failed to convert? What would the thought process here be?
I had made up my mind before the series! I have the start of the article i was going to write open in word '5 reason why Robbie shouldn't be reappointed Wallabies Coach'

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think White has shown that good players above the age of 21 can still be found in club land. This is something all provinces should adopt: no-one gets a full contract until they're 21. Go and do university or an apprenticeship while the province supports you on a stipend. Then earn the big bucks once you've had your head jammed up your freckle in reserve grade or premier rugby for a year.

Problem is league will come and wave cash under their nose, because ultimately they don't give a fuck about the game beyond profit.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Even as a Queenslander I do not believe that Link is the right guy at the job at this time. As much as I would like to see an Aussie appointed after 6 years of Deans my head tells me that White is the right guy for the job right now. I just wonder if there will be too much politics involved if Link comes in now with all the crap associated with Cooper.

White
Vast international experience
Won a world cup
Will have the proper game plan to beat the All Blacks and get the Bledisloe back where it belongs on this side of the dutch!
Fixed up the brumbies in record time (although Link has fixed up the reds in a similar period)
Seems like a good bloke and a players coach

White should be appointed thru to the world cup and then after the cup have the option of keeping him or not. Link needs couple of years to prove himself I think and he could do this at the Rebels. When the time is right we choose between Link and Cheika.

Just my thoughts

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
FYI if you right click on the number you can copy the link to the post. Saves people looking for a particular post.

And so were Jones and Connelly but they both got sacked for not winning enough.

Thanks for the info. I agree with you but was just reacting to the use of inaccurate stats when you had gone to the trouble of posting accurate ones. Thanks for your efforts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
But the similarities end there surely? I mean, neither of them only won their Super Rugby titles due to an amazing playing roster bolstered by a committed back room free of political influence.. OK I'll just stop there.

:)

I was just struck by this thought: imagine if we'd lost 22-21, having held them scoreless after their last penalty, scoring a try after the bell out wide that Lilo failed to convert? What would the thought process here be?

Pfitzy,
I thinks Deans was gone win, lose or draw on Saturday night.
It's just fiiting that his last hurrah was such a spanking.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Link needs couple of years to prove himself I think and he could do this at the Rebels. When the time is right we choose between Link and Cheika.

Just my thoughts

A couple more years to prove himself? Link doesn't have to prove anything more. He's taken two different Australian teams to the Super rugby finals and won it with one of them. He's done all the necessary "hard yards" in his coaching apprenticeship; coached at a super rugby level at multiple clubs, coached in the European rugby scene and was the assistant coach of our national team.

To say he needs to do more by taking another backwards step at the Rebels (at this point in his career) is grossly unfair on him.

White has done a great job with the Brumbies, but he still has more to do. More importantly, he hasn't earnt the right compared to Link to coach the Wallabies. How does appointing White inspire other great Australian coaches to stick around in our teams only to be told they still need more "experience".

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
White should be appointed thru to the world cup and then after the cup have the option of keeping him or not. Link needs couple of years to prove himself I think and he could do this at the Rebels. When the time is right we choose between Link and Cheika.

Just my thoughts

I personally think there are merits for both options but out of interest, why don't you think Link is ready?? He had a serious amount of work to do at the reds, arguably more than White, and succeeded. He has already rejected the offer to coach them because he himself didn't think he was ready for the role.

I guess I feel as though he is in his prime at the moment and we have the attacking style of players that suit his approach the best.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I personally think there are merits for both options but out of interest, why don't you think Link is ready?? He had a serious amount of work to do at the reds, arguably more than White, and succeeded. He has already rejected the offer to coach them because he himself didn't think he was ready for the role.

I guess I feel as though he is in his prime at the moment and we have the attacking style of players that suit his approach the best.

He did similar at the Tahs as well, the only time they've made the GF he was at he helm. What I like most about him is that he has varying game plans dependant on the opposition, this hasnt been as noticeable with White.

I have them neck and neck at the moment, lets see how they fair through the finals - throughout the year both teams have demonstrated they can beat anyone on their day.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't get the support for White over Link.

1st, Link is an Aussie, White not. What kind o message would we be sending to the rugby world, and our public, if twice in a row we ignore the aussie option and appoint a foreign coach. That Aussies are not good enough to even coach our own team? Come on...

2nd. White has had the Brumbies for two years. We haven't actually won anything yet. Link had the Reds for two years, after MUCH MUCH longer at the bottom of the table, and won Super rugby. White still has to do that, and IMO it would be far more beneficial to Aussie rugby to hire the coach who isn't contracted and coaching right now, rather than the coach who is halfway through rebuilding a club which is going to provide a lot of Wallabies over the next few years.

White is contracted, and is still rebuilding the Brumbies. Let him stay there and develop players and make the Brumbies a force again, while Cheika does the same thing at the Tahs. Link can take the Wallabies, and actually get this group of players FINALLY playing like a TEAM,rather than a bunch of guys out on the field but with no general plan.

It would shaft the Brumbies by pinching White, whilst shafting McKenzie who is ready to take over. The other thing that scares me shitless, is that the Brumbies will want a replacement high profile coach and i've got a terrifying feeling that the ARU will try and push Deans onto the Brumbies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Two reasons that Link should get the nod over White:

1. Link is Australian and represents 4 provinces - Victorian with either playing or coaching experience at Brumbies, Tahs and Reds.

2. White presided over the most boring game plan ever devised to win a World Cup. This is not what Australian rugby needs at the moment.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Even as a Queenslander I do not believe that Link is the right guy at the job at this time. As much as I would like to see an Aussie appointed after 6 years of Deans my head tells me that White is the right guy for the job right now. I just wonder if there will be too much politics involved if Link comes in now with all the crap associated with Cooper.

White
Vast international experience
Won a world cup
Will have the proper game plan to beat the All Blacks and get the Bledisloe back where it belongs on this side of the dutch!
Fixed up the brumbies in record time (although Link has fixed up the reds in a similar period)
Seems like a good bloke and a players coach

Just my thoughts
Link going to the Rebels will destroy the reds utterly.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
A few months ago I posted that I though Jake was the man for the job, because the style of game he coaches is more suitable to win a World Cup.

I have since changed my mind. I still believe we would have a better chance of winning the World Cup with Jake, but after a horrible 6 year period where we no longer have any identity in the style of rugby we play it is more important than ever that if we win, we in a style that captures the publics imagination.

We have gone from a country that was renowned for playing an exciting style of rugby to an aimless rabble.

Australian rugby has bigger problems than our win/loss ratio, and Link is the man to fix both.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
A couple more years to prove himself? Link doesn't have to prove anything more. He's taken two different Australian teams to the Super rugby finals and won it with one of them. He's done all the necessary "hard yards" in his coaching apprenticeship; coached at a super rugby level at multiple clubs, coached in the European rugby scene and was the assistant coach of our national team.

To say he needs to do more by taking another backwards step at the Rebels (at this point in his career) is grossly unfair on him.

White has done a great job with the Brumbies, but he still has more to do. More importantly, he hasn't earnt the right compared to Link to coach the Wallabies. How does appointing White inspire other great Australian coaches to stick around in our teams only to be told they still need more "experience".

Before the Lions series I also would have had Link as my personal pick to take over..... I have changed my mind after the series and think that white is the best bet. What has swayed me is that I have been really impressed with the way each and every new wallaby that has come from brumby land has stood up in this series. Mowen, Lilo, Mogg and probably Kimlin if he was given a go, have stood up and performed with the limitations that were around them during the games. I can only think that a lot of this has to do with the quality of the coaching environment that has guided them this year.... I might have used the wrong choice of words in that Link has still to prove himself but I stand by that White has impressed me immensely and is the best choice.

I was however careful not to add Tomane to that list

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
The other thing that scares me shitless, is that the Brumbies will want a replacement high profile coach and i've got a terrifying feeling that the ARU will try and push Deans onto the Brumbies.

thnk about the chances deans is going from international rugby back to provincial rugby and then in australia- not gunna happen

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
According to Eddie Jones, Jake White should take over for a couple of years and get the crap out of the Wallabies (off-field dramas, poor basics etc.)

Then McKenzie, who would have been at the Rebels in that time (according to Jones) would be appointed Wallaby coach.

Sounds like a plan.

What he said.

JW would say "It's my way or the highway" (or something similar). Maybe that's the medicine that some people need, but not want.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If White gets the job the difference between success and failure will be the quality of the attack and defence coaches he picks.

I know it wouldn't be good for the super rugby, but if Link doesn't get the job I'd like to see him as Wallabies attack coach under White.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
gold heart what about those from the reds that have stepped up under Ewen now/ in the past? The likes of S and A Finger, B Tapuai, Liam F'ing Gill, J Slippahhh?? I know not all of these blokes have stood the test of time but we have only seen one series from the Brumbies blokes you'd mentioned.

I just feel as though the ARU would be coming up with excuses to not choose EM if they went with White. There is very little separating them as coaches (in terms of sucess with teams) apart from nationality and how they achieve said sucess. It is blatantly obvious Ewen fits the 'Bill' of "fast, attacking, exciting ball in hand rugby".

Status
Not open for further replies.