• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs Vs Bumbies - Rd 14 - 17 May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Coming from a hard fought victory vs the Sharks, and considering they'll play the Bulls next, the Brumbies need to put this game away and get the points. Cheetahs will be smarting after their loss to the Force, and will try to topple the travelling Brumbies. Away from home, agaist a SA team, always a tough proposition. Will also depend on how the Brums will recover from the trip, and that is an unknown factor.

Provided they turn up to play a match with discipline and strong defence, the Brums could make it.

PS: having thought about it, the worst thing the Brumbies can do is not to pay enough respect to the Cheetahs. Landslide win to the Brums.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
We found out last year the Brumbies travel well, so they should win this.Last week the Cheetahs looked good for twenty minutes but then got stifled out of it. It seems they cannot consistently perform at a high level Last year Coenie was a beast for them; this year he's a pussycat who often plays dirty. The Brumbies are likely to use the same Bulls stifling strategy. I don't think they'll be troubled.

Next week is another question entirely. The Bulls have the bye this week, so they'll be fresh; they have a mathematical chance to reach the finals if they win every game and pick up some bonus points but lose next week and they are only playing for pride thereafter. The Brumbies could easily find that game very difficult to win and even if they do, a bonus point is unlikely..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We found out last year the Brumbies travel well, so they should win this.Last week the Cheetahs looked good for twenty minutes but then got stifled out of it. It seems they cannot consistently perform at a high level Last year Coenie was a beast for them; this year he's a pussycat who often plays dirty. The Brumbies are likely to use the same Bulls stifling strategy. I don't think they'll be troubled.

Next week is another question entirely. The Bulls have the bye this week, so they'll be fresh; they have a mathematical chance to reach the finals if they win every game and pick up some bonus points but lose next week and they are only playing for pride thereafter. The Brumbies could easily find that game very difficult to win and even if they do, a bonus point is unlikely..

Getting a bit off topic there @Hawko?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Six weeks they said for Speight. Would it only be 5 to now? Hope he's fit for the Frogs.

Brumbies need to target Coenie. The Force scrum dished the Cheetahs so the Brumbies should take it to them. Also, dont committ too many to the rucks in defence. The Cheetahs are so pre-occupied with getting wide they don't seem to make great breaks 1 out from the ruck. Their whole support structure really comes into its own 2 out and wider from the ruck so you can afford to drop off the ruck and set your defence a metre deeper than you normally would.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speight's not eligible for the Wobs until halfway through the RC.........

As for the Brumbies, he's apparently available for selection this week.........

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Brumbies
1. Scott Sio,
2. Stephen Moore,
3. Ben Alexander,
4. Scott Fardy,
5. Sam Carter,
6. Fotu Auelua,
7. Jarrad Butler,
8. Ben Mowen,
9. Nic White,
10. Matt To'omua,
11. Robbie Coleman,
12. Christian Lealiifano,
13. Tevita Kuridrani,
14. Henry Speight,
15. Jesse Mogg.

Reserves:
16. Josh Mann-Rea,
17. JP Smith,
18. Ruan Smith,
19. Leon Power,
20. Tom McVerry,
21. Conrad Hoffmann,
22. Andrew Smith,
23. Pat McCabe.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Didn't think the Brumbies team had been announced yet but that looks close to what it should be

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looks about as good as it gets. Probably only Poey could make it stronger. Hoping for a good win.

No. Benching Kuridrani for McCabe would make it stronger. Given how well he has played I am at a total loss as to how McCabe is not starting. Kuridrani is not playing THAT well that he is an automatic starter.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
McCabe has gad a great season, but Kuridrani's has been solid and teams struggle against the big 13... McCabe is also a better utility back...

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
No. Benching Kuridrani for McCabe would make it stronger. Given how well he has played I am at a total loss as to how McCabe is not starting. Kuridrani is not playing THAT well that he is an automatic starter.

Agree. Kuridrani's form has been good, but McCabe has had an extra gear when on the pitch. Outstanding in my view.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies will need a tight defense against Le Roux. He is the heart and soul of the Cheetahs' attack. As many tricks as Quade, but usually pulls them off with better effect (at least this year with Quade).

Couple of years ago, Link was being lauded for designing game plans specifically to address the opposition. Last week, Brumbies were criticized for having a game plan that was designed to beat the top team in the comp, and which incidentally succeeded. This despite a couple of weeks ago having a game plan that got a bonus point win against the top NZ team. Bit of consistency from the commentariat please.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think McCabes lack of experience at 13 works against him. I don't think I can recall him ever playing there. Which is strange given his skill-set, you think 13 would be his best position but he has always played 12 or previously wing.
So you would have to say Kuridrani, Lilo and Coleman are lucky to hold their positions... for me its really a 50/50 call for with McCabe for each position.

Hope Lealifano finds some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.