• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cheetahs Vs Bumbies - Rd 14 - 17 May 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Well done Cheetahs Brumbies not good enough on the night, too many penalties and struggled to create the game tempo they needed. Makes next week very important for any top two aspirations.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Brumbies played at about 80%

If that.........

Just didn't have enough of the ball, and didn't do enough with it when we had it.........

It was nearly similar to the 'saders game in that regard.........

I wish I could blame it all on the ref and his idiotic scrum calls (it means so much when the Saffa commentators are disagreeing with them all) but it's fairly irrelevant in the end...........

We need to make more of our opportunities, particularly with so many strong skill full ball runners in that back line...........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From a Brumbies perspective I thought that Mowen had a really good game tonight............

Quite possibly his best game of the year......... alas..........

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lealiifano's goal kicking is a big concern this year.

Where has the ice cold man that won that 2nd Lions test gone?

I hope he finds form soon because 9 points of missed kicks isn't good for any team.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
hope he finds form soon because 9 points of missed kicks isn't good for any team.[/quote]
It was early so may be wrong but think we missed four shots one conversion and three penalties but to be fair a couple were not easy kicks. Might be time to stick with one kicker.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If that...

Just didn't have enough of the ball, and didn't do enough with it when we had it...

It was nearly similar to the 'saders game in that regard...

I wish I could blame it all on the ref and his idiotic scrum calls (it means so much when the Saffa commentators are disagreeing with them all) but it's fairly irrelevant in the end.....

We need to make more of our opportunities, particularly with so many strong skill full ball runners in that back line.....

I worry that the kicking has started to become the first thought (option) in our game and we have to consciously make a decision to keep ball in hand. I maybe wrong (probably) but a few times it looked like there were options to take on the line (space, overlap, mismatch) but we kick instead of even making the opposition have to worry about defending at the line. I would presume that if teams are prepared for us to kick out of our 22 they are dropping players back, including an extra one or two. Surely this means there are gaps in the defence to exploit?
I'm starting to wonder what the actual plan is because we seem to kick it away from our forwards and kick it away from our backs. We are even kicking it at the line to run on to for tries. Ironically the only thing we can't kick is penalties and conversions! :eek:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Another one that got away from the Brumbies because we continue to kick the ball rather than running it. Gives the opposition so much more ball to play with than they should have. Unfortunately, Matty To'omua is one of the main culprits, but I suppose that is the game plan. So, a message for Stephan and Laurie - change the game plan andlet the backs loose to run the ball more often. There are some very dangerous players in that back line, but they are being stifled ATM. They must go out there with intent to win the game, and preferably through scoring tries.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Another one that got away from the Brumbies because we continue to kick the ball rather than running it. Gives the opposition so much more ball to play with than they should have. Unfortunately, Matty To'omua is one of the main culprits, but I suppose that is the game plan. So, a message for Stephan and Laurie - change the game plan andlet the backs loose to run the ball more often. There are some very dangerous players in that back line, but they are being stifled ATM. They must go out there with intent to win the game, and preferably through scoring tries.

The other thing that needs to change is attitude - we look as threatening as a sleepy panda!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

When you play Jakeball, kicking is your first, second and third option. When those three are exhausted, then you might try a run or two.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
When you play Jakeball, kicking is your first, second and third option. When those three are exhausted, then you might try a run or two.

Would love to see the Tahs game plan played by the Brumbies backline. Ah well, maybe in the Test matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.