• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs v Reds 5.05pm Friday 12/05 - New Plymouth

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Great win,

The Reds played like you would expect a Thorn team to play

Also great to see O'Conner remind everyone that he is a 12 who can play other positions

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Ok, I concur with most of what's been said in this thread. Really enjoyable game of Rugby. Well done Red's. All I can say is where has that performance been hiding?

Campbell, Tate, McReight, Uru all stood up and had great games, but really that was a team performance. I think what I'm most impressed with was the patience and focus on not giving away silly penalities at the breakdown when under the pump and the clear tactical kicking.

The other positive is that it wasn't even a perfect game. Clean up that lineout. Get that scrum humming a little better, secure one or two rucks a little quicker and they have the capacity to build on this.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I'm watching the replay. What a stupid way to lose 2 points in the first conversion by Creighton

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just got back from being up at New Plymouth for game, and my thoughts.
First half Chiefs looked like they were going to split Reds open at any stage, but combination of Reds tackling , and more Chiefs forgetting to treasure the ball, they didn't do an awful lot. Up until halftime, Reds genuinely looked to be struggling, some daft passes, and positioning looked a little lost.
Then second half and showed why we all like sport (and I was cheering for Chiefs), Chiefs started to look a little better , hell they were picking off Reds lineout at will, but Reds showed what happens to a team who are underdog and they get a sniff, they tackled everything that moved and seemd to pile into everything with a real purpose, and deserved win I thought.
Other thing that came to mind, is how much better games are live than TV , you can actually feel momentum shifts I think, the first try of Chiefs was a joy to behold of everyone in movement etc, was watching replay on big screen, didn't look anywhere near as good as it was. Also a little surprised how much speed JOC (James O'Connor) sees to of lost, Selby-Rickett cut him down when JOC (James O'Connor) had what looked 8-10 start.
All in all , and really just a reminder to everyone, that this comp isn't as one sided as negative nellies claim, and anyone can beat anyone which was a complaint about it. Also winning rugby games is about attitude and desire sometimes as much as anything.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Loved the win.

Particularly love the players & coaches reactions afterwards. I’ll admit I expected the Chiefs would find a way to win - and probably should have. But instead the Reds found a way to hold on.

It’s been a tough year and we all have a habit of piling on when things aren’t going well.

But, whatever their failings I have never got fhe sense that this current team didn’t care. Nice to see them get some reward for their effort.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Actually, he should have aligned the cosmos and stopped butterflies flapping their wings in Zanzibar so that the ball didn't fall at the same moment he moved into his run-up to kick.
According @Dan54 who was at the stands, there wasn't winds at that moment lol
Probably made sure he put ball on tee properly? I was amazed when it toppled off there wasn't a breath of wind.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I was not claiming it was wind, I think that was you. I was taking the piss out of people blaming Creighton for something that was just bad luck.
I just made a comment about it. Actually, I'm happy with the Reds win. That's the way to play against the Kiwis