• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs v Reds 5.05pm Friday 12/05 - New Plymouth

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Had to come on and say a few things after a win like that.
Some random thoughts:
1. Great win, not only for qld rugby but australian rugby in general. We really needed to see at least one aussie team get a win over one of the top kiwi sides in new zealand to give the players some belief heading into the finals / the test season.
2. The thing that really stood out to me was the discipline of the reds players. Hard to reconcile that against their discipline over the last 20 odd games.
3. Fraiser mcreight is becoming the player we'd hoped...he's an ever present issue for the opposition. Even at the 80th minute he was almost at every breakdown
4. The kicking from the reds was super effective. I was actually really impressed with Vunivalu's kicking...never really thought of him as having an effective kicking game but i thought his kicks were super accurate in terms of what was obviously the game plan

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I would love to know what changed during the week, I genuinely would. That was more than just changing players, we actually played smart, thoughtful footy with big dose of defensive mongrel.

Defensive effort was 90% mental at the end.

That is a Thorn masterclass, he would have been prepping them with the classic QLD underdog speech all week, third string players in the side, going to NZ, the impossible task etc etc

The leaders would have been challenged to step up - the Wallabies in the team played their best game in years. That’s the sign of a changeroom who rallied together.

I’m so pumped with what I saw, but I hope it wasn’t a final stand and the emotion of the win will burn out.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Amazing finish and Congrats to the Reds!

Didn't get a chance to watch it live (and TBH didn't think Qld had much of a chance) but they pull out their season's best performance ... awesome!

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Had to come on and say a few things after a win like that.
Some random thoughts:
1. Great win, not only for qld rugby but australian rugby in general. We really needed to see at least one aussie team get a win over one of the top kiwi sides in new zealand to give the players some belief heading into the finals / the test season.
2. The thing that really stood out to me was the discipline of the reds players. Hard to reconcile that against their discipline over the last 20 odd games.
3. Fraiser mcreight is becoming the player we'd hoped...he's an ever present issue for the opposition. Even at the 80th minute he was almost at every breakdown
4. The kicking from the reds was super effective. I was actually really impressed with Vunivalu's kicking...never really thought of him as having an effective kicking game but i thought his kicks were super accurate in terms of what was obviously the game plan
Is it possible that Vunivalu is the centre we have needed, Daugunu seemed to defend on the wing when Vunivalu went looking for work

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fuck that. 2 Kiwi scalps in a row thanks. Blues are there for the taking next Friday at home!

I'd like to single out daugunu for a great defensive effort in an unfamiliar position.

Yeah he was great wasn't he.

That was a backs to the wall win for the ages tonight for the Reds. They played some good footy in attack and defended like their lives depended on it. Good smart tactical kicking kept them in the game too. To do it over in NZ against an undefeated side would have made it all the sweeter,