• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs v Reds. Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

Re: Reds v Chiefs

The Reds are having a bit of back luck at the moment, but it's nothing compared to the force. From what i've heard down the grape vine Hynes is a good chance of playing next week depending on how quickly the swelling goes down on his finger. Ioane from the article sounds like he'll be back for the force game too, I think it is the right move resting him, it would be silly forcing him to play and risk having injure himself more.

T

tranquility

Will be very interesting to see the team that is named. As Toua did not even get a mention.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)

Scotty said:
Va'aulu is almost guaranteed to start.

This guy has played some of the worst rugby I've ever seen at this level. Hands like absolute tits. It will be interesting to see how he goes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Va'aulu went alright with limited opportunities three or so years ago. But he didn't step up when he got more time, in fact he went backwards. Don't rate him now.

Yeah, Reds are going to get a pasting. At least the starting inside backs are injury free.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

Just promoted Lelia Masaga to captain of my fantasy team...

D

David

Moses said:
Just promoted Lelia Masaga to captain of my fantasy team...

I might have to copy that move, seems with the outside backs the Reds will have on the paddock that he might get a few meat pies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member

This could get ugly, Sivivatu and Muliaina are back...
http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsarticle=12296

Winger Sitiveni Sivivatu returns from injury as one of two changes in the Chiefs' Rebel Sport Super 14 rugby side named today to face the Reds in Hamilton on Friday night after.

Sivivatu comes back on to the left wing, having recovered from the shoulder strain he suffered in the 72-65 win over the Lions in Johannesburg two rounds ago.

Also back is skipper and fellow All Black Mils Muliaina, the fullback having been given the first three weeks off.

Their return means Dwayne Sweeney and Mike Delany drop to the bench.

Chiefs coach Ian Foster said there had been some hard selection decisions after the Chiefs came away from their three-match road trip with three wins.

"But we've decided to re-introduce Mils and Sitiveni to get them back involved as soon as possible," he said.

The Chiefs gained 14 points from their victories over the Sharks, the Lions and the Western Force to put them just one point behind competition leaders the Bulls.

Chiefs: Mils Muliaina (captain), Lelia Masaga, Richard Kahui, Callum Bruce, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Stephen Donald, Brendon Leonard, Colin Bourke, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam, Culum Retallick, Romana Graham, Nathan White, Hika Elliot, Sona Taumalolo.

Reserves: Aled de Malmanche, Toby Smith, Jarrad Hoeata, Luke Braid, Junior Poluleuligaga, Mike Delany, Dwayne Sweeney.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

I am keeping the faith. Looking at the positives, these blokes have now got their chance. Every chance they could have a blinder and not waste it. I know it sounds shitty on paper but I wouldn't write the Reds off yet.

Good call on Digby.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

9-15 the chiefs are pretty stacked. but the reds pack is better than what the chiefs have going.

if they can keep it tight, might have a chance. but the odds of that happening..... uhhh....

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

My fingers are crossed for the Reds and the heart is hoping for a miracle..and a miracle I think it will have to be.

Keeping it in the forwards may be our only chance.

That Chief's backline is looking hot, hot,hot, and I don't know that there is a better S14 back three than Masaga, Sivivatu and Muliaina. Hopefully, the latter two are still short of a run. I didn't realise Digby was injured. His absence, and that of Hynes, really robs the Reds of serious strike power.

I think Link made the right call in terms of the replacements. Vaalu and Connor both have S14 experience. Both are pacy and Connor has a massive heart and defends well for his size. Vaalu has actually played well at 13 in the A side. He has pace and strength, and may well be the one to do well of all the replacements. It was only a matter of time for Morahan, and it is good reward for Tapuai. Also think Lucas is a stronger option than Kingi.

Could be a long night, but here's hoping....

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We were never meant to beat the Crusaders, but we did and quite clinicly at that. Chiefs are good but most deffinatly beatable with the team we will field. Crikey, the let in 65 points against an oponant. Reds can win this one and I will be tipping them again.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It will be up to the forwards and the Reds defence, they will have to be very "Tah like" to keep in this game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wouldn't be tipping the Reds, and I am a Reds supporter.

At least if you tip against the Reds, you're not totally devastated if they lose. But I will be devastated if the Reds succumb and ruin my spread.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The team is:

1 Ben Daley
2 Saia Fainga'a
3 Laurie Weeks
4 Adam Byrnes
5 Van Humphries
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 Daniel Braid (vc)
8 Leroy Houston
9 Will Genia (c)
10 Quade Cooper
11 Brando Va'aulu
12 Anthony Fainga'a
13 Morgan Turinui
14 Will Chambers
15 Luke Morahan

16 Sean Hardman
17 Greg Holmes
18 Robert Simmons
19 Jake Schatz
20 Ben Lucas
21 Ben Tapuai
22 Blair Connor

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not too shabby. Definitely not optimal, but could be worse. The 10. 12. 13. positions are decent enough.

T

tranquility

This team demonstrates the improved depth the Reds have this season - which has come from a good academy setup that has ripened perfectly for this season. Losing out complete back three and bring in those guys + a fitter Leroy who has now earnt his spot in the run on - expect him to cause havoc.

Then with Tapuai off the bench (who has the potential to be the best 12 in the country in 3 years) + plus the reliable and workmanlike Jake Shatz at the tail end. Get your money on the Reds at $7!!!

If the rebels didn't exist and would could keep this group I would have full confidence that we would once again be a super power of this comp within a matter of years. but alas..

Tasi, what are you doing mate? you should already be on the plane to Melbourne.

T

tranquility

also Brando better justify his selection over Toua. I would say that link is giving the fulltime players the first opportunity over the academy where it is lineball. Toua is clearly the next best fullback after Hynes.

I would say that one of either Brando or Connor will be leaving the Reds at end of the season so these games are important as both of those players are essentially playing for there career.

Status
Not open for further replies.