• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Chiefs vs Reds R9 Sat Apr 13th

Status
Not open for further replies.

something

Jim Clark (26)
There has to be some Australian based kiwis or south africans that could fill this role. I would love an ex referee to be on the panel as well.

On the topic of an ex-referee on the panel (Feel free to shoot me down for this) but i think Steve Walsh upon retiring would actually be pretty good on the panel. Firstly he is an Aussie & Fox would probably care about that because 'its the right thing to do'. Secondly, he is a ref so he wouldn't really be biased and would understand the rules. But most importantly, he is a character. He would add a lot of insight i reckon. I dont particularly like him as a ref but i think he would be a pretty interesting commentator.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and a welcome one.

Aw come on tranquility, all the Queenslanders I know love a good cross border dig. In fact they get disappointed if their insult is not returned in kind.

If it wasn't for Qwerty and the other perceived, or real, Queensland haters in Gaggerland, a fair percent of the Queensland posters would pack up their bags and leave Gaggerland out of boredom. They love a good fight and to have a good fight takes two.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I don't think it's so much a cross-border deal as it is a personal vendetta against everything and anything Quade Cooper.

Joey

Frank Row (1)
Sorry to derail this slightly but I was just wondering if anybody else noticed what I thought was a pretty major and game changing inconsistency with Walsh last week.

We have probably all seen or noticed how he pulled Sam Cane back from the a maul following a Chiefs lineout (
) as Cane was offside.

This is due to some of the rules in law 19 - touch and lineout.

The backs (or anybody not involved in the lineout) cannot move past their offside line (10m from the line of touch) until the lineout is over -- but the lineout is only over when (Law 19.9):

• When the ball is thrown, knocked or kicked out of the lineout, the lineout ends.
  • When the ball or a player carrying the ball moves into the area between the 5-metre line and the touchline, the lineout ends.
  • When a lineout player hands the ball to a player who is peeling off, the lineout ends.
  • When the ball is thrown beyond the 15-metre line, or when a player takes or puts it beyond that line, the lineout ends.
  • When a ruck or maul develops in a lineout, and all the feet of all the players in the ruck or maul move beyond the line of touch, the lineout ends.
  • When the ball becomes unplayable in a lineout, the lineout ends. Play restarts with a scrum.
So we can obviously agree that Walsh has made the correct call in the case of Sam Cane above (calling him offside, and it was good management to make him back off so as to not give away the penalty which only happens if he has an impact on play)
Now I would say take a look at 2:11 in this video.
You can clearly see Lance (15) , Ant (13) and Taps (12) come in and join the maul before the lineout was over.

I think it was pretty obvious, especially compared to the Cane one, that the reds were all offside and the try should be disallowed - but neither the touchy or Walsh picked it up and he obviously felt the was no need to go to the TMO so he got no input from there.

I only mention it here because I thought it was strange nobody had brought up what seemed to me to be a clear breach of the rules directly leading to a try in what was an extremely good and close game of rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Joey, you make a very good point, and perhaps a little inconsistency by ref there.
Also makes me wonder, it obviously a well practiced move, is Link actually coaching them to break the laws??;)

Joey

Frank Row (1)
I'm glad somebody else thinks so. I was sitting there wondering if I had missed something ridiculously obvious.

And yes it does look very rehearsed, but thinking back on it I think there probably a a heap of instances of teams getting away with exactly the same thing in the past -- Is this just somethign referees are generally happy to let slide?

Status
Not open for further replies.