• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Choose 4 clubs would you include in a national comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
This is the 3rd Tier conversation on GAGR
3rdTier.png

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think they should run an 8-10 team national comp. If anyone is interested in fielding a team they can pay a license fee (say $250K). If there are multiple teams in one area then there can be other criteria to cull them down.

The ARU could set up a competition management team who can source sponsorship and telecast rights deals to further fund the tournament.

This would open the comp up to current clubs, private enterprise and even Super teams to field feeder teams. Teams can find adequate grounds to play out of.

I can think of 3 club teams that would likely get involved straight away. Also it takes the responsibility away from the ARU for neglecting areas as it's up to the regions to raise the money and apply for the license.

This would not be a professional league. Players would be covered for expenses incurred and have a flat fee for work days missed. It's about exposure and opportunity for them.

It sounds simple but sometimes simple works.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think they should run an 8-10 team national comp. If anyone is interested in fielding a team they can pay a license fee (say $250K). If there are multiple teams in one area then there can be other criteria to cull them down.

The ARU could set up a competition management team who can source sponsorship and telecast rights deals to further fund the tournament.

This would open the comp up to current clubs, private enterprise and even Super teams to field feeder teams. Teams can find adequate grounds to play out of.

I can think of 3 club teams that would likely get involved straight away. Also it takes the responsibility away from the ARU for neglecting areas as it's up to the regions to raise the money and apply for the license.

This would not be a professional league. Players would be covered for expenses incurred and have a flat fee for work days missed. It's about exposure and opportunity for them.

It sounds simple but sometimes simple works.

That appears quite reasonable. Someone could probably calculate the cost of travel, accommodation and ground hire over the course of such a comp and use that figure as the licence fee. That way to ensure that they at least have the ability to afford to compete.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
According to G. Robinson - the clubs will be meeting with the ARU next week to discuss the model the SS will likely take in the future were the ARU will put through their proposal and the clubs will table their alternatives.

It also mentioned that the ARU were going to table their model for a 10 team National club Competition. That would be interesting to get some details on.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
I've got an idea... Sydney Uni (who have more money than NSWRU) could bankroll the whole thing & do some good for the game!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aren't Balmain Rugby Club keen for a slice of the action?

What ever happened to the $1m winner take all competition that was proposed out of Balmain about a year or so ago?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That was a PR stunt in my opinion. Trying to keep Balmain relevant and in the press so members and sponsors see value in the club.

T

TOCC

Run the current club competitions concurrent to the Super Rugby competition with the finals occurring on the same weekends.. Shute Shield and Premier Rugby wont change except for the absence of the Super Rugby players.

Then host the third tier following Super Rugby similar to how the ITM Cup is currently run. Put the licensing of the teams out to tender, quite simply if the teams don't have the money or the facilities then they wont be given a license...

Then to create equality across competition, run it similar to the NZ Super Rugby contracting system, teams are able to select their starting 15 and all the rest are free agents to be picked up by other teams.

Is this a perfect competition, absolutely not, it will alienate some fans of clubs not chose in the initial season... However in time market forces will dictate that those teams selected will take measures to reach out to those other clubs, mergers, clubs renaming, moving home grounds etc to reach out to a larger demographic and wider sponsorship base.

Will this kill of other clubs, well take a look around at the standard of some of the clubs in the Shute Shield and Premier Rugby currently, you can't kill whats already dead.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Canberra Vikings
Southern Inland
Sydney Uni - Prob called something else - Syndey Students maybe
QLD combined side - QLD South Maybe

I think all up they should have -

1 x ACT
2 x NSW (one being a branch off of syd uni)
2 x QLD
1 x Melb

Maybe a Perth side but this would bite into funds and I dont know if a 3rd tier team would really take off.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Canberra Vikings
Southern Inland
Sydney Uni - Prob called something else - Syndey Students maybe
QLD combined side - QLD South Maybe

I think all up they should have -

1 x ACT
2 x NSW (one being a branch off of syd uni)
2 x QLD
1 x Melb

Maybe a Perth side but this would bite into funds and I dont know if a 3rd tier team would really take off.

Was there talk at one stage after the ending of the ARC of a Perth team locating to Qld for the duration of a national comp? I can't remember. But anyone know if that's a possibility to save costs?

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Run the current club competitions concurrent to the Super Rugby competition with the finals occurring on the same weekends.. Shute Shield and Premier Rugby wont change except for the absence of the Super Rugby players.

Then host the third tier following Super Rugby similar to how the ITM Cup is currently run. Put the licensing of the teams out to tender, quite simply if the teams don't have the money or the facilities then they wont be given a license.

Then to create equality across competition, run it similar to the NZ Super Rugby contracting system, teams are able to select their starting 15 and all the rest are free agents to be picked up by other teams.

Is this a perfect competition, absolutely not, it will alienate some fans of clubs not chose in the initial season. However in time market forces will dictate that those teams selected will take measures to reach out to those other clubs, mergers, clubs renaming, moving home grounds etc to reach out to a larger demographic and wider sponsorship base.

Will this kill of other clubs, well take a look around at the standard of some of the clubs in the Shute Shield and Premier Rugby currently, you can't kill whats already dead.

Should they throw in further criteria, like a teams location and their strategic plan for juniors as part of the requirements a potential team has to meet? Or at least as something giving a potential team an advantage?

This might get potential teams to think about mergers and other factors that are good for the game instead of just thinking about themselves.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was there talk at one stage after the ending of the ARC of a Perth team locating to Qld for the duration of a national comp? I can't remember. But anyone know if that's a possibility to save costs?

Not sure mate I think that would be just nearly as expensive - putting up a squad of players for 6-8+ weeks - and would somewhat defeat the purpose of having a team from Perth when really this is all about growing the local game in their areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.