• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cipriani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
It's getting a bit beyond me now, Baldric, but faced with a choice between the Cipster's hobby and your stamp collection, I'd be off to the Ivy.

Perhaps thats where the Rebels could have done more?

You've got a young bloke moving countries, being paid large sums of money to live in a city far away from any mates he may of had back at home (sure you'll make new friends at the club), but what is he meant to do to pass the time?

A lot of the Rebels team have their own family to go back to every night and others will have close friends, but for a young single guy like Danny, whats waiting for him at home? Left overs?

Now, Im not saying he isn't responsible for his actions, or the Rebels should have done more, but, like you said Bruce, are we really shocked Danny resorted to drinking?

Perhaps the Rebels should send him to a pottery class/enroll him at uni or whatever, just something he can do to pass the time and do something outside of rugby.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
are we really shocked Danny resorted to drinking?

Are you available for marriage, I could do with an enabler like you :)

I'm not a big fan of player group disciplinary power, but Cips basically gave the playing group a big two finger salute by going out the second night. The first is almost understandable, if not excusable, but the second night and blowing off training is dereliction of duty.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think the message here is one we have heard around the Rats and NSW for some time, and no doubt it applied to the Brumbies and Wallabies also: "Do not fuck with Macqueen."

This fellow may seem touchy feely but he is one hard bastard.

It has served him and the teams he operated with well.

Reactions: Epi

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
He has standards Lee and I like that. It builds character in a team, something John Eales alluded to in his column in the AFR today.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Agree TBH, and building a team culture was a key part of why Macqueen was hired. I think a key part of the recent popularity of the Swans in Sydney has been their super-clean, team-first image, which makes them very attractive to families - they're appreciated by mums. The Rebels no doubt want the same image in Melbourne.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
There was talk on the radio this morning that Yoda had a bit to do with him being left out. He apparently has strong views on how the team should opperate.

I am very much against drinking bans placed on teams but I also believe there should be a level of respect show to the organisation and I guess that Danny doesn't have that for the Rebels. It's a real pity because he could have become a superstar of world rugby. I hope he picks up his act and does just that.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
There was talk on the radio this morning that Yoda had a bit to do with him being left out. He apparently has strong views on how the team should opperate.

So what you're saying is that Yoda is the spiritual leader of the Rebels?

Ba-doom Tish!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree TBH, and building a team culture was a key part of why Macqueen was hired. I think a key part of the recent popularity of the Swans in Sydney has been their super-clean, team-first image, which makes them very attractive to families - they're appreciated by mums. The Rebels no doubt want the same image in Melbourne.

Yep. The Swannies had that whole "no dickheads" culture and it worked well for them. MacQueen had more or less the same thing at the Brumbies and that is clearly something that he was hired to instill in the Rebels, as you pointed out.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

I am very much against drinking bans placed on teams but I also believe there should be a level of respect show to the organisation and I guess that Danny doesn't have that for the Rebels. It's a real pity because he could have become a superstar of world rugby. I hope he picks up his act and does just that.

Adam Freier talked about it as a team decision on Offsiders on Sunday, I think it's more than fair enough if the team as players set standards and one or two fuck up it's up to them to face the consequences, as dictated by the team.

As an aside, I think Freier on Offsiders (they mentioned him as a new panellist) could mean rugby starts to get a bit more than the usual passing mention in an AFL/mungo borefest

Link (not McKenzie): http://www.abc.net.au/sport/offsiders/ - this week's program and all its segments are listed at the top

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yep. The Swannies had that whole "no dickheads" culture and it worked well for them. MacQueen had more or less the same thing at the Brumbies and that is clearly something that he was hired to instill in the Rebels, as you pointed out.

Then how did Jeremy Paul get a run at the Ponies? Or has he changed since he started going on the Rugby Club?

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Then how did Jeremy Paul get a run at the Ponies? Or has he changed since he started going on the Rugby Club?

An interesting point. I'm fairly certain he came into super rugby in 1998, which is the year Rod took over at the Wallabies. However, that still doesn't answer the question of how he got a run in a wallabies jersey under Rod. Maybe he simply was a bit better at exerting a bit of self-control than young Cipriani is.

I do remember a few articles from his latter years at the wallabies (post Macqueen) where they continually wanted to drop him from the squad despite him being the best hooker, specifically stating his behavioural issues as a problem.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Don't forgot the Paul was the perennial bench warmer for the Wobs for years as well. When Kearns got injured for instance, they'd leave Paul on the bench to bring in Foley to start.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think what the Rebels have done is to be applauded to give them some credibility over they way they are running their club.
It's not fault that they are trying to be professional about what they do, yet Cipriani is not.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Paul was a more than handy player and was he that much of a dickhead? I don't recall hearing anything untoward.

There were a fair few rumblings from camp wallaby at the time. I think his case was quite different to Cipriani though - Paul classified as more of a 'shit stirrer'. Ie, the guy who would say things just to get a rise out of someone and just be generally annoying all the time. I think in his mind, he saw himself as more of a larrikin, and sometimes knowing where to stop is tricky. It's also the sort of thing which is slightly damaging to team culture, but impossible to make rules against.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Justin Harrison was the same way, but MacQueen apparently had a stern word or two with him and told him if he didn't knuckle down, he'd be out.

D

daz

I think the message here is one we have heard around the Rats and NSW for some time, and no doubt it applied to the Brumbies and Wallabies also: "Do not fuck with Macqueen."

This fellow may seem touchy feely but he is one hard bastard.

It has served him and the teams he operated with well.

Good post.

You know, when I watch the post match interviews now, Rod looks like a nice, friendly, jovial uncle. Even in defeat he has a smile and an aura of "aww shucks" about him.

Then I think about the stories of Uncle Rod back in the day, and remember that the man could drill through diamonds....

Precious petal Danny would last about 3 seconds before flaming out under that stare.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That's where Danny breached the code. Legendary Australian root rats, like the late and great Keith Miller, would have fronted even if he was still in his dinner suit with his fly buttons undone. Not that cricketers actually had training in those days but you get my drift. Keith would have got to the Test ground just in time to roll the arm over or to take strike.

And quite likely when he did go on with a skinful he would either make 100 or take 5 for. He seemed to be performance unaffected, unlike the rest of us mere mortals.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
I believe he was a participant in the SA taxi incident.

Could be. The only name I remember associated with this is 'prof' Rod Kafer (Who, to be honest, I quite like. Particularly his chalk board thingy on the Rugby Club).

However, at the time, I think he infamously tried to justify his trashing of the cab, explaining to the Brumbies board: 'Well, he [the cabbie] did try to overcharge us' !!

Status
Not open for further replies.