• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Classic Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The 5:30 Parliamentary game seems to have been replaced with a Sydney vs Country game.

Guess we won't see Mr Rabbit copping a haymaker.:(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Also the NSW Schools vs Queensland game previously advertised will not be going ahead at North Sydney Oval.

I have heard on the grapevine that 5000 tickets have been sold. Not sure how true this is.

It would be nice to have the unpaid media interns from somewhere promote the game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Schedule of events seems to be:
3:30 Gates open
3:45 NSW Waratahs Coaching clinic
5:00 Sydney Juniors vs Country Juniors (Under 17 I believe)
6:00 Golden Wombats vs King Penguins
7:30 Classic Wallabies v B&I Legends

Prices $25pp or $50 family (2+2 x 16 yo or younger)

Tickets from Ticketmaster

Classic Wobs
1. Matt DUNNING
2. Jeremy PAUL
3. Bill YOUNG
4. Justin HARRISON
5. John LANGFORD
6. Matt COCKBURN
7. David CROFT
8. Sam SCOTT-YOUNG
9. Sam CORDINGLY
10.Scott BOWEN
11.David CAMPESE
12.Nathan GREY
13.Ryan CROSS
14.Scott STANIFORTH
15.Andrew WALKER

16.Nick GREGORSKI
17.Scott GOURLEY
18.Adam FREIER
19.Troy JAQUES
20.Richard HARRY
21.Nick REILY
22.Damian MURPHY
23.Tim WALLACE
24.Steve KEFU

Head Coach Damian SMITH
Forwards: Tim KELAHAR
Waterboy: Dan CROWLEY

British and Irish Legends
1. Marcus HORAN (IRE)
2. Frankie SHEAHAN (IRE)
3. Peter ROGERS (WAL)
4. Matthew SALTER (Bristol)
5. Roy WALTERS (ENG)
6. Colin CHARVIS (WAL)
7. Liam TOLAND (IRE)
8. Anthony FOLEY (IRE)
9. Shaun PERRY (ENG)
10.Jeremy STAUNTON (IRE)
11.Michael STEPHENSON (ENG)
12.Tom MAY (c) (ENG)
13.Jamie NOON (ENG)
14.Dan SCARBOROUGH (ENG)
15. Mark WOODROW (ENG)

16.Shane BYRNE (IRE)
17.Nathan THOMAS (WAL)
18.Ben STURNHAM (ENG)
19.Alan QUINLAN (IRE)
20.Hall CHARLTON (Newcastle)
21.Arwel THOMAS (WAL)
22.Robert HIGITT (Scarlets)
23.John O'NEIL (IRE A)
24.Cameron MURRAY (SCO)
25.Craig CHALMERS (SCO)

Head Coach: Steve BOYLE
Asst Coach: Ted HEDGES

Referee Steve DICKINSON
Touch Judges: Mike ROLLESTON, Warren ROBILLIARD

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
Sell out crowd at North Sydney oval, and the lights have just gone out.

Pay the Meter someone.

Lights coming back on now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fox Sports reporting a 10000 crowd.

Great atmosphere.

Campo hasn't changed much. Hot and cold.

Funny as a wet suit fart when the lights went out.

My tin foil hat says that some of the fatties paid someone to flick the switch on the lights to give them a breather.

North Sydney Oval looked an absolute picture. Perfect Setting.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
Full time lions legends 29 Classic Wallabies 19
I thought the score was?
Lions Legends 14 Classic Wallabies 14 Campo 20
And City got up over Country, can't remember the score.

Bloody great night, really enjoyed the games.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
How did some of the more recent Wallabies look? ie Grey and Walker?

Grey was pretty much the same as old - obviously a little slower and didn't hit as hard, but still fit, ran straight and hard and tackled well - eventually nearly knocked himself out in a tackle and came off in the second half.

Walker was the same as old - incredibly skillfull - we never got the best out of him, the sky was the limit.

Sam Cordingly was of old - still fit, sniping runs, played very well.

Scott Staniforth still very fit, but played well within himself.

At 51 / 52? Campo was still Campo - threaten to open up a few times, but I think his legs then got the better of him, but still set up one try - ran the Lions back line ragged - turned two of the defenders inside out then threw one of those high loopy passes to his winger to score - it was just like old. He may get criticised a lot, but the fact is he is one of our greats, and it still shows. Not many guys his age could still do that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From where I was, it looked like Campo had the line open for himself to grab meat, but he chose the speculator pass out wide to his winger to score in the corner, and make it hard for Andrew Walker to add the extras.

And didn't Peter FitzSimonns look a pretty picture on the sidelines - Not.

Having just cycled from Melbourne for Red Kite appeal, Simon Poidevin was looking very dapper in a suit, although he was walking as if he had just cycled from Melbourne.

Many Classic Wobs were posing for Photos with locals and B&I Lions supporters. For all the crap that he gets from time to time, Campo was very generous with his time with the tourists, and seemed to be the most popular draw card.

Lots of people were asking about George Gregan and Bernie Larkham. Apparently the Ticketmaster web site had them listed as making an appearance at #9/#10. After Campo, most of the tourists and locals around me seemed to want to see them play.

PS. Campo's tackling hasn't improved with age.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Favourite moment was Todd Pearce's try. 50+ metre run down the western sideline. He slowed a little halfway through thinking he would be tackled and looked for a pass but the British held back waiting for the pass so he ran on and scored. Then immediately subbed himself off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah. I think everyone thought he had put a foot into touch and were waiting for the AR to put his flag up, which he didn't do.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
This was a fund raiser for NSW junior rugby from memory. Any idea how much was presented to the NSWRU?

BTW who are the Penguins and the Wombats?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Penguins are more or less a UK Parliament team. MP (Moana Pasifika)'s and Staffers as far as I can gather.

Wombats are the Aust Equivalent.

I think that there is some gentleman's agreement that allows an agreed number of ring ins to raise the standard.

If it was a Juniors fund raiser, I'd hope that the $ were presented to the NSW JRU and not the NSWRU, otherwise there could be some handling fee extracted to stock the NSWRU Board room wine cellar. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.