• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Coaching Options for Qld Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Again this debate of whether link backed RG or not is nothing more then speculation... Let's not fill threads with arguments based on speculation of an event from 3 years ago please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
RG has to go. He has failed at the Force and certainly not taken the reins here. We do have capable players but mentally they are screwed. Interim coach to finish the year and then appoint a full time person. There is no reason why the interim coach can't become the full time coach. We need to players to get their mojo back and actually believe they can play again.
The board has done a great job in bringing QLD rugby back into the black. I 'm sure they don't want to see us struggling again and going cap in hand to the ARU for funds. We Reds fans are loyal to the point of stupidity. For the way the Reds have played over the past years and we still can pull 27000 to a NSW game. Brilliant. This week may be a different story with the ponies and as mentioned above we don't want to get to crowd numbers of 6 or 7000. Then we really are stuffed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's interesting that people think Matty Taylor would walk away from Scotland after the 6 Nations. I would have thought he'd want to stay with them for the RWC. That could rule him out but I'm sure if the Reds wanted him then he could be back in November.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
That may be true QH for you and others, but it's not for me, sorry...

The answer to this question has IMO very important ramifications for Aus rugby as manifestly the code is increasingly commercially fragile ...

...My grave concern is that what I am today witnessing within the Reds/QRU establishment are all the signs that, sadly, 2010-11 was indeed a 'oncer' as referenced above. And that establishment is not displaying the calibre of facts-respecting and fans-respecting leadership and judgement of a type that would confirm an institutional process capable of ensuring repetitive, enduring rugby successes, both commercially and over every 80 minutes on the hallowed turf.

With all respect RedsHappy, that all sounds a bit hysterical. ARU is about to sign a significantly increased TV rights deal for SuperRugby and have secured a long term commitment to the NRC.

I've said before I thought the Reds success in 2010-2012 was somewhat serendipitous - the happy meeting of a group of players with a good skill set but little direction, and a group of coaches with the skills to get the most out of that playing group. The QRU has done a great job on capitalising on that success with more members and spectators than any other Aussie franchise, and a net profit last year despite a poor finish.

I think the ARU and the states can and should do a lot more to sure up the games position in the Aussie landscape, and provide some vision and leadership. An embracing of the grassroots is long overdue, as is an analysis of where the elite and community games fit and how they can best prosper, but Rugby won't fall over as a sport in this state or this country for a long time yet.

And I still can't understand how Ewen McKenzie's role in RG's appointment can be relevant.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting to see him come out publicly in defense of the coach.
It's not that interesting. Any journo that gets a chance to ask a Reds player a question is going to ask them what they think of RG and they are all going to answer exactly the same. Quade knows this better than most.

Had he written an open letter to QLD Rugby fans and made it a full page feature in the Courier Mail throwing his support behind his embattled coach then that indeed would have been interesting! ;)

EDIT: just re-read my post and it sounded like I was having a bit of a crack at you. I wasn't. :)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was he any good as a player?

Yeah he was. Played Australia A. A couple of games for the Reds (stuck behind Latho). Played for GPS (one colt of the year in 1991 I think), Souths and Easts.

Is an Australian 7s legend too. Captain for a long time. As I've said before he actually would've been an excellent choice as oz 7a coach when O'Connor stood down.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kept M Burke out of Aus Schoolboys 15, then snapped his femur.
Not making any insinuations.just the facts I know.

first year of premier grade he did the same. Playing for GPS v Wests at Toowong. I can still remember the sound of the crack. It echoed across the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.