• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Concussions and Protecting Our Players

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I watched the incident on foxsports last night and thought Baritt was significantly more at fault than Barrington who was just about standing there as parling fell to the ground. If this is an example of the new law interpretations then we are going to see a shitload of yellow cards this year.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I was watching the game, and the thought crossed my mind that I can see this going real pear shaped, I agree about cutting out foul play etc, but I tend to think if refs get carried away especially at Club level it will be a complete schmozzle, I can imagine at least 3-4 games in any club comp ending up with teams of 12-13 on them! I hope I am wrong and hope I am but.....

In the same game another player also took a pretty hard knock to the head, only trouble was he was a tackler and was going in low etc.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I was watching the game, and the thought crossed my mind that I can see this going real pear shaped, I agree about cutting out foul play etc, but I tend to think if refs get carried away especially at Club level it will be a complete schmozzle, I can imagine at least 3-4 games in any club comp ending up with teams of 12-13 on them! I hope I am wrong and hope I am but...

In the same game another player also took a pretty hard knock to the head, only trouble was he was a tackler and was going in low etc.

Hopefully this isn't the case.. so far it seems like it won't be a total mess over here in the States, at least not generally.

After talking to friends who play out west and some of the good folks running the game in the Baltimore/Philadelphia area (where I'm based at the moment - season isn't currently in play here) the general consensus is that referees are going to apply the law on a case-by-case basis and take into account the intent of the tackler and body height of the ball carrier before they ever go to pocket.

At the same time I'm just waiting for some team to come out and just have their pigs run pick and drives 6 inches off of the ground over and over, because with the way the law is being interpreted by some of these European refs you could effectively march upfield and get half the opposition pack carded this way.

On the same note I have no idea how you're supposed to contest a play who is diving into the try zone now because it seems if you even stroke their cheek lovingly you're going to the bin.

I'm a bit torn on it all after dealing with two pretty nasty concussions myself while playing at college.. but it's hard to see the current interpretations at the higher levels as completely in line with the inherent risk of playing a collision sport while bound to the laws of Newtonian physics.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WR (World Rugby) have reviewed the George North incident & RFU's failure to sanction Saints for breaching the head injury protocols:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/world-rugby-gives-verdict-on-north-incident/

Short version: don't do it again or we'll have to tell you "don't do it again" again. It's about the outcome I expected but still disappointing & you have to wonder if they're really taking this seriously or just giving the appearance of doing so.

Reactions: dru

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
WR (World Rugby) have reviewed the George North incident & RFU's failure to sanction Saints for breaching the head injury protocols:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/world-rugby-gives-verdict-on-north-incident/

Short version: don't do it again or we'll have to tell you "don't do it again" again. It's about the outcome I expected but still disappointing & you have to wonder if they're really taking this seriously or just giving the appearance of doing so.

According the Sydney Morning Herald World Rugby has no power to do anything about it.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Both Baritt and Barrington have been cited for the high tackle.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hopefully the month or so this will be in operation in the Northern Hemisphere before Super Rugby starts will give a bit of time for adjustment and for the SANZAAR referees to be able to look at the results and get the new interpretations working as well as possible from the start.

You would also hope that coaches are focusing on this pretty heavily. Good discipline will be even more advantageous if the number of cards used increases substantially.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
According the Sydney Morning Herald World Rugby has no power to do anything about it.

That's my point: WR (World Rugby) wrote the protocols & told their member Unions they had to sign up to them plus make the people running the pro game (e.g. SANZAAR, PRL, etc) abide by them but there's no sanctioning of breaches process to back it up. A toothless tiger, in other words.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Every parent should read this article.......
Rugby is a contact sport - no doubt about that, and it is what many who play and watch actually love about it.
The administrators - from the top down - need to tweak the way they coach their players to minimize the risk of this dreadful outcome.
As a father whose sons have loved their rugby over the years, I feel for this lad's parents....

Unfortunately, I don't believe that WR (World Rugby)'s new protocols will diminish the risk - particularly at a community level of the sport.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I was watching the game, and the thought crossed my mind that I can see this going real pear shaped, I agree about cutting out foul play etc, but I tend to think if refs get carried away especially at Club level it will be a complete schmozzle, I can imagine at least 3-4 games in any club comp ending up with teams of 12-13 on them! I hope I am wrong and hope I am but...

May end up with a NRL citing/AFL reporting system. Obvious foul play deserves red card but careless/reckless possibly cite and then hand out appropriate suspensions to avoid the 12-13 situation. Yellow cards for professional fouls etc are still fair game.
NB Barrington contact looked awful in slow-mo and I thought "oh dear - he will be rubbed out for the season".
Edit: Barrington cleared and Barritt receives 3 week suspension.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe sanity has prevailed?

Makes a complete farce of the actual game. Wrong team down a man. Thats a two man detriment to the right team.

I seriously hope we do NOT see Super Rugby games impacted like this.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Makes a complete farce of the actual game. Wrong team down a man. Thats a two man detriment to the right team.

I seriously hope we do NOT see Super Rugby games impacted like this.
Both guys were on the same team weren't they? Panel said the wrong guy got the red card but same team is losing a player...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Both guys were on the same team weren't they? Panel said the wrong guy got the red card but same team is losing a player.

Ah, there you go. I'll have to find somewhere else for my outrage.

I really dont like teams playing out with less than a full compliment.