• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Concussions and Protecting Our Players

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another aspect of this is how do you now deal with a guy at the breakdown who's on his feet, has his hands on the ball and his nose all but touching the ball?

I know this is an old post, but I see this line of logic all to often.

How you beat a player pilfering with good shape is you win the race to the ball and get your technique right. If a guy is good enough to get on ball then there's been a missed assignment and he deserves it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I know this is an old post, but I see this line of logic all to often.

How you beat a player pilfering with good shape is you win the race to the ball and get your technique right. If a guy is good enough to get on ball then there's been a missed assignment and he deserves it.

16.2 (a) - All players forming, joining or taking part in a ruck must have their heads and shoulders no lower than their hips.

There's a whole other long argument to be had there!
but how often is "good shape" in accordance with the laws of the game?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's a whole other long argument to be had there!
but how often is "good shape" in accordance with the laws of the game?

Whilst I see your point, referees go on rants all the time about rugby having laws and not rules. Laws are interpretation specific and can be policed as the referees see fit. As in life, plenty of laws that are on the books are not policed.

As the old adage goes, all you can ask for is consistency.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ACT Rugby's John I Dent Cup to take part in ARU 'blue card' concussion trial

While concussion is causing headaches for several NRL clubs, Canberra's rugby union competition will show it the blue card in a push to increase player safety.

This weekend's opening round of the John I Dent Cup will see the Australian Rugby Union initiative launched in Canberra as one of two league's - along with the Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union - that will trial the program this season.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/b...ue-card-concussion-trial-20170322-gv3sbm.html

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
France to be investigated for their substitution against Wales

They used the concussion protocol to get a stronger scrummager onto the pitch.

Not sure what could be done if there were anything improper but they should have to book thrown at them if so
ec51bdf66b45a67e662881dce3f5cee2.jpg

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
France to be investigated for their substitution against Wales

They used the concussion protocol to get a stronger scrummager onto the pitch.

Not sure what could be done if there were anything improper but they should have to book thrown at them if so

It certainly needs to be looked at very closely and France need to be severely reprimanded if they can reasonably prove that they cheated.

The accusation is that the French assistant coach on the sideline went to talk to the doctor who then pulled the player for an HIA.

The whole HIA system and teams not being punished by it counting as a substitution relies on teams not rorting the system. Clearly it is a crucially important part of improving player welfare so they have to protect the sanctity of it very carefully.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hunt, as suspected on the night, appears to be recovering from concussion.

After his initial blow, he got up and made a couple more tackles, while the trainer was trying to pull him off.

I found that pretty disturbing. Courageous on the surface, but how brave can you be after a concussion and your descision making is impaired.

In that situation, the ref has to stop play. There has to be better communication between the trainer and the officials.

Rugby has enough problems already with "injuries" but if there's any chance q player has been concussed he cannot be allowed to get back into the play

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hunt, as suspected on the night, appears to be recovering from concussion.

After his initial blow, he got up and made a couple more tackles, while the trainer was trying to pull him off.

I found that pretty disturbing. Courageous on the surface, but how brave can you be after a concussion and your descision making is impaired.

In that situation, the ref has to stop play. There has to be better communication between the trainer and the officials.

Rugby has enough problems already with "injuries" but if there's any chance q player has been concussed he cannot be allowed to get back into the play

Me too. We were talking about it as it was happening. This is why they need to stop the game when there are injuries.

Inside Shoulder made the point in the match thread about another situation where the game stopped as a player was down for an injury and said that it used to just be tight five forwards for which the game was stopped when there was a scrum reset.

An assistant referee or TMO should make the call to stop the game when it is obvious there has been a head knock.

You can't stop Hunt from doing what he did otherwise.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Some startling research out of the USA regarding CTE in NFL players.

Summary: 202 brains of former american football players were examined. Of these, 111 were from men who had played at the top level in the NFL, and 110 of those recorded evidence of CTE.

The whiplash impacts aren't as regular in rugby and the tackling technique is often far safer, but I'd bet a buck to a pinch of horseshit that there are similar issues bubbling away in our game.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/brai...traumatic-encephalopathy-20170725-gxis3r.html

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Some startling research out of the USA regarding CTE in NFL players.

Summary: 202 brains of former american football players were examined. Of these, 111 were from men who had played at the top level in the NFL, and 110 of those recorded evidence of CTE.

The whiplash impacts aren't as regular in rugby and the tackling technique is often far safer, but I'd bet a buck to a pinch of horseshit that there are similar issues bubbling away in our game.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/brai...traumatic-encephalopathy-20170725-gxis3r.html

Yeah, I saw this reported and had similar thoughts about rugby.

Should be sobering reading for all those keyboard warriors (and bombastic commentators) who think that head-high hits shouldn't be punished as harshly as they are.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Just to reiterate how bad this is, here's a visual presentation of the damage done. Top=normal brain; bottom=CTE brain:

1501024373391.jpg

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Just to reiterate how bad this is, here's a visual presentation of the damage done. Top=normal brain; bottom=CTE brain:

1501024373391.jpg

Heard on the Radio today that Billy Slater cannot remember the last two weeks. I know it's league but player welfare in both codes needs to really be looked at.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
Heard on the Radio today that Billy Slater cannot remember the last two weeks. I know it's league but player welfare in both codes needs to really be looked at.

Yeah, that's an absolute shocker. Rugby is light years ahead of league though, in terms of head injury protocols.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Yeah two weeks of blanked memory is frightening. He's got a young family - I don't understand why a bloke at that stage of his career would return to footy, let alone pushing it with one week's rest.