• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Concussions and Protecting Our Players

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lost, are you really that stupid? How is the fact that someone has missed a HIA mean that Barnes/WR (World Rugby) as well as the Aussie Dr who is there just to help indentify these things, etc are snuggling up to NZ.
Whoops sorry looks like I answered my own question there doesn't it.:p

True story.

There's the Chief Medical Officer at the ground whose job it is to prevent issues like that happening.

Fault lies with him as well as the NZ coaching and medical staff who also missed the situation and exposed their player to unnecessary risk.

Wayne Barnes is probably the least at fault.

I also find fault with the stadium video producer. It would have been perfectly valid for them to show the footage of SBW over and over again until the correct and obvious action was taken for him to get an HIA. Whilst there's clearly some gamesmanship for the home ground crew to put up that footage, it's very hard to argue it does anything but result in the correct and safest action being taken.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree it was not good Braveheart, but I would find it very hard to believe it was anything but the fact it was not noticed by those at ground, we have all seen ABs (as well as most teams I think) being pretty careful with head injuries. Probably one of the more important players in ABs was not playing last week as a precaution, even though he had been cleared.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree it was not good Braveheart, but I would find it very hard to believe it was anything but the fact it was not noticed by those at ground, we have all seen ABs (as well as most teams I think) being pretty careful with head injuries. Probably one of the more important players in ABs was not playing last week as a precaution, even though he had been cleared.

Yes, I agree.

Multiple people missed it which to me suggests it wasn't covered up or ignored by NZ staff.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
It was not missed, it was managed to allow Williams to recover. The NZ team would have some of the best medics and sports trainers in the world. Their job is not to watch the game but the aftermath of contact and players reactions. We have done it as well, the part that pisses me off is that SANZAAR had a chance to make a strong stance and bottled it as they do in every instance involving NZ. World Rugby are no different. Constant success needs constant attention to detail and giving NZ every benefit of the doubt is central to the ongoing priority.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was not missed, it was managed to allow Williams to recover. The NZ team would have some of the best medics and sports trainers in the world. Their job is not to watch the game but the aftermath of contact and players reactions. We have done it as well, the part that pisses me off is that SANZAAR had a chance to make a strong stance and bottled it as they do in every instance involving NZ. World Rugby are no different. Constant success needs constant attention to detail and giving NZ every benefit of the doubt is central to the ongoing priority.

There is an independent Chief Medical Officer present at the game who also missed it.

What do you suggest SANZAAR should do? Fine the NZRU? What good would that do?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
There is an independent Chief Medical Officer present at the game who also missed it.

A much more reasonable approach would be to retrospectively penalise the team 25 points

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Real question is how the fuck did he miss it while the commentator didn't? Seems like grounds for dismissal.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
This is huge news and although its about AFL the ripple effect to us is obvious.

AFL facing concussion Armageddon
Richard Earle, The Advertiser
November 29, 2017 9:20am
Subscriber only

Ads by Kiosked
THE AFL has long indulged a paranoia about the world game but Gillon McLachlan has genuine, unprecedented cause for alarm with Adelaide United chairman Greg Griffin prosecuting John Barnes’ landmark concussion claim.

If a $1.3 billion, NFL-style settlement for post-career care doesn’t break the bank, a massive focus on brain injury caused by contact football codes looms as Armageddon for AFL participation.

Griffin, one of the nation’s sharpest commercial legal minds, is at the coalface supporting battered footballers losing theirs, from former Essendon ruckman Barnes to 109-game Melbourne high-flyer Shaun Smith.

AFL boss McLachlan will earn his $1.74 million annual salary after News Corp this week revealed Barnes would front a concussion damages action, masterminded by Griffin, against the league and clubs. The NFL this year finally ratified a monster pay-out to past players, predicting up to 6000 would suffer Alzheimer’s disease or dementia linked to on-field concussions.

There is no hidden agenda here from soccer heavyweight Griffin. Instead, the AFL is confronted by a time bomb decades in the making.

It has been reported a dozen players will join the proposed concussion action, expected to start early next year. The Advertiser understands that substantially under-represents the numbers led by Barnes.

Brain lesions, epilepsy, depression and insidious mental deterioration cited by former footballers serve as a warning to sons, daughters, fathers or mothers pursuing the game as an amateur or professional.
Brownlow Medallist Greg Williams four years ago revealed the torment of mood swings and memory loss consistent with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a disease responsible for early-onset dementia. Brisbane great Jono Brown, haunted by 20 career concussions, notes the brain “eats itself from the inside out” when attacked by CTE.

Barnes, 48, laments “I’m not the same bloke I used to be” after three broken jaws and a half-dozen concussions, 17 years on from his 2000 flag with Essendon. There will be blokes from Beaumont to Bordertown with similar tales, pain and apprehensions.

Soccer boasts 674,094 out-of-school-hours participants nationally to Australian football’s 366,462. The plight of players who fear neurological impairments resulting from football will focus parents on the sport of choice for their children.

The AFL has spent around $120 million on a fledgling Giants franchise through a silent war on the world game for hearts and minds in Sydney’s west. The proposed federal court action by ailing players has the potential to rock the fabric of AFL, drain its broadcast rights windfall and ability to prop up Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast.

The 2016 AFL injury survey showed the number of games lost to concussion rose from 4.2 per club in 2015 to 5.6 in 2016. Adelaide’s Brent Reilly, North Melbourne’s Leigh Adams, Melbourne’s Sam Blease, Brisbane’s Matt Maguire and Justin Clarke are examples of concussion-related retirements in recent years. St Kilda’s No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin, 21, has sustained six concussions since 2014, leading to fears over the consequences of another blow.

This writer won’t forget watching Adelaide vice-captain Rory Sloane mistake a club trainer for Bernie Vince after being concussed against Melbourne in Darwin last July.

Sloane was inspirational against Geelong six days later but another head blow could have had untold ramifications, now highlighted by Barnes.

Eradicating risk means quelling the gladiatorial nature of Australian football that has proven an unrivalled allure for over a century.

Griffin’s case sheds light on an inconvenient truth the football industry is duty-bound to face.

AFL facing a concussion Armageddon | Adelaide Now

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Any of you Doctors or Sports Scientists out there care to hypothesise on how specific types of exercise would reduce the incidence of concussion.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Bit hard to tell without seeing the actual paper, but I wonder if 3x20 minute of warmups each week has simply replaced 1 hour of more risky training

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Any of you Doctors or Sports Scientists out there care to hypothesise on how specific types of exercise would reduce the incidence of concussion.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Only just saw this. I was involved in the design of this intervention from the lower limb prevention perspective. The full paper is here http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2...MD&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BJSM_TrendMD-0 One of the groups of exercises included was isometric (just push don't move) neck strengthening exercises. Weaker neck strength has been linked to concussion with the proposed mechanism being if you have a stronger neck your head doesn't whip around as much and therefore you have lower accelerations of the head and the brain doesn't bounce around as much. With a stronger neck, you control your head and don't have the whipping forward or hitting the ground out of control.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Bit hard to tell without seeing the actual paper, but I wonder if 3x20 minute of warmups each week has simply replaced 1 hour of more risky training

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

not really. Warm up replaced the warm-up that would be normally done. Instead of running around the oval and doing run-throughs/stretches you do this instead. Standard approach for most injury prevention programs rolled out in the community (see FIFA11 and FootyFirst in AFL)