• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Country v B&I Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the NSW/QLD Country v Lions game is more a 'origin' game. Let's have a go at picking a country team. Understanding that the Wallabies will be out, and quite likely the Reds players as well. Perhaps some Tahs, what could we expect?

I'd love to see the likes of Tom Carter get a run. Rocket Davies, Rob Simmons, Greg Holmes and Beau Robinson would be great to see there too, but the Reds game probably rules them out.

Brett Sheehan a shot.

Who else? What about Academy and club players? Any other country standouts?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Is it only player currently representing NSW & Qld? Otherwise, you can include Sam Carter (Quirindi) and Ben McCallman (Warren). Kane Douglas is from Yamba, but I imagine he will be in the test squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well, every rugby player in Oz is from country Australia somewhere*. This'd be a great opportunity to give non test-selected players a once-in-a-lifetime chance to front the BILs.

*Apparently there are quite a few players running around in Sydney from that country seat the County of Cumberland. Same goes for that Brisbane lot from the Shire of Moreton Bay. Pick 'em all.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
id like to see the game have a strong indiginous influence
2- s. fainga
6- m.hodgeson
7- c. fainga
10- k.beale
11- r. davies
12- a. fainga
if marketed properly this would do wonders for engaging our indiginous community
i also wouldnt be against having players like tahu or one or two 5kick players in there> would certainly draw a crowd

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
2- s. fainga
6- m.hodgeson
7- c. fainga
10- k.beale
11- r. davies
12- a. fainga
if marketed properly this would do wonders for engaging our indiginous community
i also wouldnt be against having players like tahu or one or two 5kick players in there> would certainly draw a crowd
Rod Davies is Filipino, and Beale is out for the foreseeable future, but I see where you are coming from, throwing names out there for the fixture.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Holmes
3. Ryan
4. Simmons (Walton)
5. Carter
6. McCutcheon
7. Robinson
8. McCalman
9. Sheehan
11. Davies

Could be a decent game if they can find some more quality country players kicking around QLD/NSW. Hopefully a few amateurs get a run as well, would be a great experience.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So much rests on Robbie's Test team... is Berrick Barnes a shot for country?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
2- s. fainga
6- m.hodgeson
7- c. fainga
10- k.beale
11- r. davies
12- a. fainga

Not sure of where those players hail from but this is a QLD/NSW Country team, not an Aus Country team. If they're all from QLD or NSW then fair play.

I'm with Lindommer and Pfitzy but. Pick a bunch of blokes playing in club land and let them have a crack! There's a guy playing for the Stingrays and QLD Country that I'd love to see get a run!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fuck that. This is a chance for those blokes playing for the Cockatoos and Heelers to play a tour game. Let them have a go, even if they get smashed

I think the majority of those same people would get more out of the whole experience if they have a couple of recent Wallabies in their team.

Having a few Wallabies turn up and train and play in your team would be pretty awesome.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cockatoos and Heelers players are obvious candidates for selection, and I am with Pfitzy here, give the guys from the bush a Bucket list entry, regardles of the score.

Touring is not just about winning everything. Ask some of the blokes from the Crows, who were beaten by the Darkness 100 something to not much, whether they would have wanted to give up their slot to a Sth Aust RU Presidents Invitation team in order to keep the score to a more respectable number?

My question would relate to the players from down yourmatesam way. Southern Inland are part of the Brumbies outfit, and I don't think they are eligible for the Cockatoos.

My favourite club, the Jindabyne Bushpigs first grade are being unfairly discriminated against just because they happen to be needed to support a struggling rugby union based in Canberra. They are NSW and proud of it. Same with the Wagga lads and the Tumut Bulls et al.

Are all NSW players resident outside the Sydney Metropolian area eligible to be selected, or is it just players from clubs that are affiliated to NSW Country RU and Queensland Country RU?

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
I have just read an article from Iain Payten (link below) that is suggesting this combined country team will include super contracted players who are born/come from non-capital cities in NSW and Qld.

Frankly, I am utterly appalled by this. It will be remarkably damaging for country rugby if this happens. Also what's stopping them picking Academy, Squad or even grade players who came from 'Country' areas. Country rep players don't have a lot of non-country games to be involved with, and this is certainly their biggest in a long time. It is already hard enough in Qld when Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast premier grade players are picked to play against the other regions as opposed to those who don't have the premier grade opportunity.

I don't care if they get a pasting, but the boys will destroy themselves trying and will give the tourists some physically tough opposition. I was thinking of trying to make this game, however Newcastle is too far for me. But I know of guys who are possibles and if this happens it cheapens the sport badly out here.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-and-irish-lions/story-fnh5q2et-1226642484251

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It's telling that there is nearly a full forward pack of country blokes who most of us could name off the top of our heads yet only one back..

Where is Rod Davies actually from. I chucked him in the team because he was suggested, but if that is just because he went to ippy grammar it is a bit of stretch to say he is from the country.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Iain Payten @iainpayten
To clarify on NSW-Qld Country, eligible players v Lions can be those born/raised in country, as well as guys currently in country teams.

This was just tweeted by Iain. Unbelievable! Why have the game? Why not have a combined Sydney/Brisbane premier grade team instead. Very disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.