• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Country v B&I Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
I was very disappointed when I read Iain Payten's article this morning regarding picking 'Country Origin' players. Why call it a combined country match? It should be a combined Heelers & Cockatoos team. I get bloody annoyed that Gold & Sunshine Coast premier players are picked in Qld Country and regional rep teams anyway. The boys will give them plenty, even if ends up being a pasting. Know a few who are possibles and they'd give their left testy to play.

Hugh - according to Iain Payten last tweet

'To clarify on NSW-Qld Country, eligible players v Lions can be those born/raised in country, as well as guys currently in country teams'

I guess in Qld terms, if you went to TSS, TGS, Downlands and Ippy you'd be eligible. Include Morahans, Lance (I think), Simmons, Slipper from one TSS team alone!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Surprised it isn't extended to include players who have been on holiday in the Country, or who are friends with someone who was raised in the Country.

Perhaps it should be like the international eligibility, and any player who can claim Country heritage by virtue of at least one grandparent being of Country descent.

Calling it a combined country team is a fraud, and a kick in the guts for all currently registered players in NSW and Qld country unions.

Rugby doesn't need to manufacture teams like mungoball has to in order to generate interest.

Will this measure do anything to grow and develop rugby outside the metropolitan centres?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's telling that there is nearly a full forward pack of country blokes who most of us could name off the top of our heads yet only one back..

Where is Rod Davies actually from. I chucked him in the team because he was suggested, but if that is just because he went to ippy grammar it is a bit of stretch to say he is from the country.
The Rockhampton Rocket.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree with you, Hugh. Whole heartedly!

Regional representation was an honour to be picked for, and was generally (though not always) picked on the best available players. It is one of the best ways for clubs to share recognition throughout the area for the sport. From regional, it moved onto the state country teams. Considering the country championship no longer exists, and there is very little touring done outside of the cities, there is very few opportunities for those who can play but work & live in country areas.

Right now there are over 800 kids in the junior rugby program playing regularly on weekends (and this doesn't include the majority of kids from TGS and Downlands, rugby playing schools) on the Darling Downs between mostly Toowoomba, Dalby & Goondiwindi. The non-Toowoomba kids go to the senior games and know most of the players in A-grade. Any guy who makes higher honours gets put on a pedestal by these kids, and gives them something to aim for, especially if they aren't going to move to Brisbane or the Coasts. Taking away the Lions game shows the lack of respect ARU have for country rugby, and is major blow for those wanting to follow the stories of older rep players who played touring teams at one stage, and used to beat/match their city compatriots.

Think of the kids and think of the regions, not the bloody capitals, ARU!!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Robbie's got any input into the side, I don't think you could rule out Richard Brown getting a crack.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry about the multiple entries. Put the first couple of entries into the suggested threads then they've been moved here. I guess I'm clear about what I think about the idea! :)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If this is the way they are going why don't they just play a Aust Bar Bars team of Australia A? While the team might get pumped by 100 I think it would do a lot for country rugby to have a true country team on the field.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's nothing wrong with the country concept, pick the Super rugby players who are really from the country...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I know it'll be great but they're going to smashed, I'm talking 150-0 not even 100-0. Seems pretty pointless to me.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Got my tickets this morning. I am looking forward to seeing the Lions but I am absolutely disgusted with the way they are going about picking the Country team. I am still going naturally because without numbers going to games at Newcastle it will not look good for us securing more games like this in future.

Wheatman & Hugh Jarse - you are both preaching to the choir here.
This country rugger girl could not give a shit if we are pumped 150-nil. I am expecting a Country team made up of Cockatoos & Heelers. I was originally open to a few players like Burgess coming in as they are formally of Country origin but it really needs to be all about players applying themselves in Country Rugby.

Local Newcastle/Hunter Rugby Journo James Gardiner rates Newcastle Locals - Lewie Catt, Dudley Parsaons and maybe Va Talaileva as chances for the CC side. Article on Lewie below.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1485827/rugby-union-centre-lewie-catt-up-for-a-challenge/?cs=306

Another article below on CC Coach Cam Blades. The biggest thing with this article is the comments below it, people are clearly not happy with the way the team is looking like it will be formed. This comment pasted below is in the article (& the others are worth reading too) but it accurately describes a lot of the feeling from people I've speaking to in Newcastle about this whole CC team fiasco.

"real country player: what a cock up this has been, I like many will go and enjoy the game however the way country rugby has been shunted aside is disgracefull. This game is a tradition for real country players who have been lead on to this point to think they stood a chance of being selected. This did not happen last time in coffs harbour, where a real country team admirable went down by 40 ish points. Its not about how many the boys get beatin by but the fact that they real amateur country players many of whom have only returned to play rep this year for this reason. Instead we are now going to see former country boys who have already had their time is the spotlight in sydney, it Tom Carter is selected I may refuse to go. Surely mney and tv rights have played a part here. Perhaps they would have been better off to pick a real country team and play at no 2.
On a side note, I guess we all know why so many rep players went to wanderers this season, with Louden assisstant country coach."
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1502082/size-counts-in-plot-to-tame-lions/?cs=306
So overall mixed feelings from me, looking forward to it but not exactly impressed with what is going on.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I think it will fill up once the tour arrives, tours dont include this game in them and you need an Australian address to send the tickets. So sales so far are only for people already here.

Kevinsons

Frank Nicholson (4)
It's telling that there is nearly a full forward pack of country blokes who most of us could name off the top of our heads yet only one back..

Where is Rod Davies actually from. I chucked him in the team because he was suggested, but if that is just because he went to ippy grammar it is a bit of stretch to say he is from the country.

He's from the Beef capital of the Universe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What makes country players so special? You should still have to be good at rugby. Is someone like Jed Holloway ok?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Here's the Saturday's country cockatoos squad to take on the SRU. These guys would all clearly be eligible, I wonder how many of these names will make the B&I team.

GRAINCORP NSW COUNTRY COCKATOOS
Players listed with their Zones and Clubs
1.Dylan EVANS (Western Plains, Warren)
2.Peter NAU (Central West, Dubbo Roos)
3.Joel DIGGINS (Illawarra, Vikings)
4.Gavin HOLDER (captain, Illawarra, Camden)
5.Va TALAILEVA (Newcastle/Hunter, Southern Beaches)
6.Jeff WILSON (Far North Coast, Lennox Head)
7.Alex BURNHEIM (Western Plains, Coonamble)
8.Paul TUALA (Illawarra, University)
9.Adam McCORMACK (Mid North Coast, Vikings)
10.Ben GREENTREE (Illawarra, Camden)
11.Eli SINOTI (Illawarra, Avondale)
12.Jade GARDINER (Illawarra, University)
13.Lewie CATT (Newcastle/Hunter, Wanderers)
14.Filisone PAUTA (Central West, Dubbo Rhinos)
15.Don NEPIA (Illawarra, University)

Replacements:
16.Hori LEEF (Illawarra, University)
17.John ADAMS (Central North, Moree)
18.Dan RYAN (Central West, Parkes)
19.Bradd SHERIDAN (Central Coast, Ourimbah)
20.Paul DAN (Newcastle/Hunter, Hamilton)
21.Ben HARRISS (Newcastle/Hunter, Hamilton)
22.Dudley PARSONS (Far North Coast, Lismore)
23.Kevin McNAMARA (Central Coast, Warnervale)

Coach: Col Jeffs
Assistant Coach: Mark Giacheri

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Absolute joke if contracted players living and playing in the "city" are chosen.

What about the blokes who play rugby in the country who want an opportunity for their day in the sun.

Who gives a fuck whether they get belted - that is not the point. It is likely that any team other than our test team is going to be belted.

That would really shit me AND quite frankly, disrespectful to those young fellas or older blokes who play for the love of the game....

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Moses,
should be 8-10, same probably with Qld boys with an odd one from the West, NT Victoria and other spots I suppose)
A REAL, HONEST representation from country players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Bowside - think he was actually from Rock Vegas (Rockhampton) - and I believe his nickname reflected that (and not his speed) - same as Rod Laver

Status
Not open for further replies.