• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Country v B&I Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The "issue" that I have with this is the nomenclature.

This is a NSW/QLD Country Presidents Invitation XV not a NSW/QLD Combined Country RU XV.

Call it for what it is, and this grumpy old sod will be happy.

I now know where all the NSW JRU and Sydney JRU State Championships administrators end up. After years of interesting interpretations of player eligibility requirements for National U16 teams, they end up advising the interns at ARU operations and marketing.

Wheatman

Chris McKivat (8)
Then call the team the lions are playing against the Australian Country Heelers. Don't call it a combined QLD/NSW country team. It's called managing expectations, especially to those of us who play the game outside the Brisbane and Sydney comps.
As for crowds, it's a Lions game FFS. If Newcastle can't fill the stadium, there'd be any other number of country towns that would host the match - and full the stadium plus give the tourists a fair drinking run too.

Agree with you Hugh. Unfortunately I dropped out of range before this was sent.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
The curtain raiser (from what I've been told) was planned a long time ago, but was only announced now along with the announcement that it will be an 'origin' game. Pretty poor of them to wait this long to announce it IMO, a lot of people have bought tickets in the expectations of seeing a mate/relative potentially play the Lions and now it won't be so. There have been well over 20 thousand tickets pre-sold, somewhere around 25k I believe, and that was before this announcement so I doubt this decision was made with crowd figures in mind.

Not surprising, but still disappointing.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I think it is reasonable to expect that the ARU are going to ensure a good quality side is put on the park for this match. The ARU wants something at least reasonably competitive that will sell tickets to the game and attract an audience on TV (I'm assuming this will be broadcast on Fox Sports).

In reality, I think the alternative to putting a few pro players in the team will just be to eliminate the fixture altogether.

Agree - how can a kid playing country Rugby Prop against a 6N international? - its a recipe for a broken neck.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The curtain raiser (from what I've been told) was planned a long time ago, but was only announced now along with the announcement that it will be an 'origin' game. Pretty poor of them to wait this long to announce it IMO, a lot of people have bought tickets in the expectations of seeing a mate/relative potentially play the Lions and now it won't be so. There have been well over 20 thousand tickets pre-sold, somewhere around 25k I believe, and that was before this announcement so I doubt this decision was made with crowd figures in mind.

Not surprising, but still disappointing.

If there was more transparency at the beginning & perhaps the team was named "Australia A" instead of "CC" then there would have been less of an issue - at least that's what I believe. Right now I'm just hoping for at least one Country local player being in the CC team. I'm probably going more to the see the 'origin' game than the actual main event - though I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the Lions.

As far as comments from others about worrying about scrummaging injuries well if that is an issue just pick super rugby players for the tight 5 but still pick local country players for the other spots.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
If there was more transparency at the beginning & perhaps the team was named "Australia A" instead of "CC" then there would have been less of an issue - at least that's what I believe. Right now I'm just hoping for at least one Country local player being in the CC team. I'm probably going more to the see the 'origin' game than the actual main event - though I'm obviously looking forward to seeing the Lions.

As far as comments from others about worrying about scrummaging injuries well if that is an issue just pick super rugby players for the tight 5 but still pick local country players for the other spots.

Perfectly reasonable and rational option - but the tight 3 really is a matter of serious concern.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It would be a crying shame if this turns into Australia A and would completely go against the spirit of Lions tours.

I went to a Lions mid week match in the bush in SA against a bunch of no hopers who played like their lives depended on it.

It's special.

The best game to watch on the Lions tour to NZ was against Bay of Plenty. All no-names but they played like demons and pushed the Pussies hard.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You have to question how many Super players would make the team. The Reds play the Lions on the Saturday, the Country game is on the Tuesday and the Tah's play the Lions the following Saturday. That doesn't leave much time to prepare especially considering all the other Super teams have games on the weekend of the 8th.
It looks more likely that some fringe Super player or club players will get a run.

Morton

Frank Nicholson (4)
If the ARU are worried about the need to strengthen the country side why not just follow the Sydney v country concept of the last two years and bring in seven real country boys who are pushing their skills at higher levels. Rory Walton and Mick Snowden for instance are country junior reps who both represented country proudly against city last year (possibly the year before as well) both got picked up by the western force and have done well but I bet both would near kill for the chance to play for country again particularly against the lions.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But Robbie knows what Nic White can do, Deans wants to see if Burgess is still capable of his 2010-11 form.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
But Robbie knows what Nic White can do, Deans wants to see if Burgess is still capable of his 2010-11 form.

Which is why Burgess will be picked. I'd just like to see White get the spot if it was between those two. I would assume White will play for the Brumbies against the Lions so there's no real need for him to play the Country game, just as I don't feel Burgess deserves to walk into a spot either.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
This in, apparently Lewie Catt is the only Newcastle player to make the 40-man squad. Another 6 from NSW Country & 7 from QLD Country. What are the chances most are cut by the time the eventual squad is named. This thing is a dead set train wreck. Lewies theme song would have to be Bee Gees "Stayin alive".

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1523593/catt-only-hunter-player-to-meet-british/?cs=306

I also did not realise there was going to be a NHRU Baa Baas game v Durham University at No.2 the night before the Lions game.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1520611/newcastle-barbarians-game-added-to-lions-tour/?cs=306

I thought Raymond Terraces' Gerry Collins was retired but apparently he will be calling the Lions game for ABC radio.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There is a 43 man preliminary squad with 6 from NSW Country, 7 from Qld Country.

Neither Burgess or Nic White are named.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is a 43 man preliminary squad with 6 from NSW Country, 7 from Qld Country.

Neither Burgess or Nic White are named.

I had to edit my previous post because I skim read the article & got numbers wrong but still overall my feelings are the same about squad.

They did name Holmes, Daley, Nic Henderson, Dan Palmer, & Beau Robinson.

Status
Not open for further replies.