• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Country v B&I Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPSGURU

Frank Row (1)
So the NSW/QLD Country v Lions game is more a 'origin' game. Let's have a go at picking a country team. Understanding that the Wallabies will be out, and quite likely the Reds players as well. Perhaps some Tahs, what could we expect?

I'd love to see the likes of Tom Carter get a run. Rocket Davies, Rob Simmons, Greg Holmes and Beau Robinson would be great to see there too, but the Reds game probably rules them out.

Brett Sheehan a shot.

Who else? What about Academy and club players? Any other country standouts?

when is the game

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
An Indigenous team would have been pretty great as well. That is if we could find the players. Surely if we included premier grade there would be enough.

Morton

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm looking forward to watching the game, the country team may not be full of superstars but ill bet the boys give it all their heart. You'd give your left nut to have played the lions regardless of what the result is.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Morton, that is what is so great about playing a sport with a credible international footprint.

It is all about participation and bragging rights.

I'm just cross that more "genuine" country rugby folk (ie those playing in country competitions) haven't been chosen.

Morton

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hj. How do you define genuine? Mick Snowden may be playing for the force but in the last two years while with us at Eastwood he has played for country v Sydney twice and before he came here he played junior and senior rugby inTamworth where he is from and represented country juniors a couple of times as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My "genuine country" is blokes who are registered with and playing rugby in 2013 for clubs that are affiliated with NSW CRU or Qld CRU. Don't care where they live, or if they play for the Force or the Tahs or whatever.

I would even accept a Drew Mitchell/Balmain style registration of convenience as qualifying for Country if Player X was registered with say Dubbo Rhinos and occasionally turned out for them on a gala day or two as representing a genuine country rugby bloke.

I fully accept that there are many blokes from the bush junior clubs who have gone on to bigger and better things in the Metropolitan areas, and their parents may still reside in the NSW CRU catchment, but when they register and play with a club in Shute Shield, then they are City boys.

Consider the case of a boy who attended The Kings School from years 7 - 11 and represented AAGPS at rugby, who transfers to Barker College for Year 12.

Would he be eligible to represent AAGPS in Year 12, or does he get selected for the CAS representative team?

Would it matter if his Father and two Uncles were Kings Old Boys, and his younger brothers were still attending Kings?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Beau Robinson looked to be quite badly concussed last night after colliding with Vunipolas head.

Anyone have any intel on his condition? I'd be very surprised if he was OK for Tuesday night.

Be a shame if he is not OK because he was right into it for the Reds.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Weather forecast for Tuesday looks good. Hopefully the rain stays away.

Mind you nothing could compare to the weather the last time I watched rugby in Newcastle (Aus vs the hurricane)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^Plenty of other Sydneysiders are a little gunshy about venturing across the Hawksbury Bridge to watch a midweek game of International Footy.:)

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Teams, from this article http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1560692/lucky-lewie-gets-biggest-cat-in-lions-clash/?cs=306

COMBINED COUNTRY: 1 Haydn Hirsimaki, 2 Josh Mann-Rae, 3 Tim Metcher, 4 Battye Phoenix, 5 Blake Enever, 6 Jarrad Butler, 7 Beau Robinson, 8 Tim Davidson (c), 9 Michael Snowden, 10 Angus Roberts, 11 Tom Cox, 12 Junior Siakisini, 13 Lewie Catt, 14 Alex Gibbon, 15 Nathan Trist, 16 Tom Kearney, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Rikki Abraham, 19 Richard Stanford, 20 Trent Dyer, 21 Adam McCormack, 22 Ben Greentree, 23 Dale Ah-Wong

LIONS: 1 Alex Corbisiero, 2 Richard Hibbard, 3 Dan Cole, 4 Richie Gray, 5 Ian Evans, 6 Sean O’Brien, 7 Justin Tipuric, 8 James Heaslip, 9 Conor Murray, 10 Stuart Hogg, 11 George North, 12 Jamie Roberts, 13 Brian O’Driscoll’, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 15 Sean Maitland. Res: 16 Rory Best, 17 Ryan Grant, 18 Matt Stevens, 19 Alun Wyn Jones, 20 Toby Faletau, 21 Mike Phillips, 22 Jonathan Davies, 23 Leigh Halfpenny

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Monday 10th June, 2013

TWO CHANGES TO COMBINED COUNTRY AS NEWCASTLE LOCAL LEWIE CATT NAMED TO START AGAINST THE LIONS

Newcastle local Lewie Catt has been named amongst the Combined Country starting XV to face the British & Irish Lions at Hunter Stadium in Newcastle tomorrow, Tuesday 11 June.

From Newcastle’s Wanderers Rugby Club, Catt is the only NSW Country Rugby player in the Combined Country starting fifteen, stepping up alongside eight Super Rugby players, two Queensland Country players and four Sydney Premier Rugby players.

There have been two changes from the 23-man squad named on 1 June with Queensland Reds star, Beau Robinson ruled out following a head clash during last Saturday night’s match between the Reds and the British & Irish Lions.

Robinson’s Reds’ teammate, Jarrad Butler has been named at openside while Sydney Premier Rugby representative, Richard Stanford will run on at blindside flanker.

NSW Country representative, Ben Greentree has also been ruled out due to injury, replaced by Queensland Country Rugby player, Shaun McCarthy.

Queensland Country’s Rory Arnold moves onto the bench to complete the 23-man squad.

The 23-man line-up will be Captained by the Melbourne Rebels’, Tim Davidson as announced by Combined Country Coach, Cam Blades and his coaching staff today.

On the bench for the Combined Country side is one Super Rugby player, five Qld Country players, and two NSW Country players, including Singleton local and Wanderers Rugby Club representative, Dylan Evans, for the match against the Lions.

The match is an opportunity for some of Country Rugby’s best to pit themselves against the best from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

Fans are being encouraged to dress in the Combined Country colours, blue, orange and black to show their support and counteract the Red of the Lions fans.

The game will provide a unique showcase of Australian Country Rugby during the DHL Australia 2013 Lions Tour giving the players a rare and exclusive opportunity to face the British & Irish Lions who only Tour Australia once every twelve years.

Tickets are available to the Combined Country v British & Irish Lions Tour game at Hunter Stadium, Newcastle via proticket.com.au.

The Combined Country starting XV and the eight-man bench for the match against the British & Irish Lions is below:

Player
Team
Current Club
Regional Club/Born
Haydn HIRSIMAKI
QLD Country
Sunshine Coast Stingrays
Sunshine Coast
Josh MANN-RAE
Brumbies - Super Rugby
Gungahlin, ACT
Narromine
Tim METCHER
Premier Rugby - Southern Districts
Southern Districts, Sydney
Coffs Harbour
Phoenix BATTYE
Force - Super Rugby
Wanneroo, WA
Cooma
Blake ENEVER
Reds - Super Rugby
Easts, Brisbane
Sunshine Coast
Richard STANFORD
Premier Rugby - Eastern Suburbs
Eastern Suburbs, Sydney
Wellington
Jarrad BUTLER
Reds - Super Rugby
Easts, Brisbane
Gold Coast Breakers
Tim DAVIDSON (Capt)
Rebels - Super Rugby
Sydney University, Sydney
Young
Michael SNOWDEN
Force - Super Rugby
Eastwood, Sydney
Tamworth
Angus ROBERTS
Rebels - Super Rugby
Gunnedah
Tom COX
Brumbies - Super Rugby
Uni-Norths, ACT
Sunshine Coast
Tareta-Junior SIAKISINI
QLD Country
Gold Coast Breakers
Gold Coast
Lewie CATT
NSW Country
Wanderers, Newcastle
Wanderers, Newcastle
Alex GIBBON
Premier Rugby - Southern Districts
Southern Districts, Sydney
Far North Coast NSW
Nathan TRIST
Premier Rugby - Sydney University
Kiama
Tom KEARNEY
QLD Country
Noosa Dolphins
Sunshine Coast
Dylan EVANS
NSW Country
Wanderers, Newcastle
Singleton
Rikki ABRAHAM
QLD Country
Teachers West, Townsville
Townsville
Rory ARNOLD
QLD Country
Gold Coast Breakers
Gold Coast
Trent DYER
Rebels - Super Rugby
Avoca Beach/Gosford
Adam McCORMACK
NSW Country
Hastings Valley, NSW
Hastings Valley, NSW
Shaun McCARTHY
QLD Country
Burdekin RUC, QLD
Townsville
Dale AHWANG
QLD Country
Barron-Trinity Bulls, Cairns
Far North Queensland

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Beau Robinson looked to be quite badly concussed last night after colliding with Vunipolas head.

Anyone have any intel on his condition? I'd be very surprised if he was OK for Tuesday night.

Be a shame if he is not OK because he was right into it for the Reds.

I hope he is alright too, but I have to be honest, I was yelling at the TV for McKenzie to take him off, the other night (and I don't do that often) - I thought he was having a shocker - particularly in the 1st half...

Status
Not open for further replies.