• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Country v B&I Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The 20,000 paying public at Hunter Stadium might disagree with you, BR, I certainly do. I reckon the CC boys wouldn't've given up that opportunity for quids.

First time I've been there since the Tahs/Fiji warmup match in 2009, much improved venue since the new western stand's completed. I like the fact the stands are quite steep, every spectator gets a good view of the game. When the ends are completed (what is it about mungo grounds with their crappy corporate boxes on stilts behind the goal posts?) it'll be an excellent stadium, certainly better for rectangular sports than either Canberra or Homebush.

On to the match. The BIL backs (loping Lions?) seem to've picked up from where they left off in SAf in 2009, BOD and Roberts understand each other very well and North's a bloody big handful. I was very impressed with the work the BILs did off the ball: on one occasion 'bout the middle of the second half three BIL players sprinted across to the middle and far right to make a well-structured and numbered backline. Sure enough, the ball was recycled near the left touch line and a try was scored in the right corner. I noticed in this instance there was only one CC player ambling along across the posts to get back into position resulting in a lack of numbers out wide. Towards the end of the first half there was a lovely try down my end when the ball went from the BILs' right side through every backs' hands (I think there may've been one extra in that backline movement) to the left winger and a try in the corner. What impressed me was the simple, short passes to he next bloke's midriff and the timing to deliver the ball before the tacklers arrived. Macqueen was very insistent on this: there are times in broken play when it's imperative the ball carrier NOT get tackled and die with the ball.

When CC had the ball the BILs' tackling was robust and efficient. I don't know how many turnovers CC committed but's it's not surprising there were many as the BILs looked so much better physically. And their defence was well-organised with an uncanny ability to shepherd the CC ball-carrier into a corral of BIL tacklers. But the Wallabies are going to be a considerable step up from the CC lads and I reckon they'll find progress through our backs to be bloody difficult.

The mass injection of replacements in the second half seemed to upset the BILs' cohesion more than CC's. About this time I reckon CC worked out the BILs were only flesh and blood and matched them bloody well in the set pieces.

Coupla beers and a pizza with Moses at The Grain Store (Newcastle's new craft beer venue) and chauffeuring duties home while he edited his match photos. A good night all round. Had a word with Grumbles at half time when he was trying to escape back to Sydney. Fancy that, a rugby reporter declining to watch all of a one-sided game. He missed a much more competitive second half.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
One has to wonder what value a game like this could possible hold for the Lions. It's great for these unknowns to play the Loins, but a Lions coach would probably be happy to get no injuries and not care about the score.

BOD is a fantastic player. Look in the best shape in years. There is no 13 in the world with his work rate. It's incredible, he does not slack off for a second.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The thing that struck me about the Lions was their support play and offloading ability. They seemed to have an eternity after contact had been made, and in that time they surveyed their options and threw a perfect pass before going to ground.

I was impressed with Country, they really gave it their all. The credit to them was the fact that the Lions ran around them to score, they never ran through them.

Great atmosphere at the ground, too. Worth the two hour drive, will be doing it again in 2025!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The 20,000 paying public at Hunter Stadium might disagree with you, BR, I certainly do. I reckon the CC boys wouldn't've given up that opportunity for quids.

But the Wallabies are going to be a considerable step up from the CC lads and I reckon they'll find progress through our backs to be bloody difficult.

I don't disagree that the country boys wouldn't give up the opportunity. My point is that the match doesn't really serve anyone else, especially the Wallabies. And what about the much better credentialed players who will miss out on playing the Lions at all. I have in mind here the 8 or so who are in the Wallabies' squad who won't get a run in the tests, and those S15 players who for reasons of injury or unfortunate selection policies also missed the opportunity to play for their province against the Lions. This latter group would contain the likes of Godwin, Nic White, Andrew Smith, Dan Palmer, Hugh Pyle (maybe), Chris F'Sautia, and probably a number more who escape me at the moment. Altogether, with the excess Wallabies' training squad, an excellent basis for say an Australia A team.

My proposition would be to play all the provincial games before the first test, and schedule in an Australia A game between the 2nd and 3rd tests so that those in the Wallabies' squad who miss the tests and those who have recovered from injuries too late for their provincial games can get the opportunity they so deserve. It would be a much more meaningful game than the mismatched Country game.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But games like the Country one are what makes the Lions tour great. Sure they are one-sided, but it's a remnant of a byegone era, plumbers and sparkies playing the professionals, then swapping jerseys and sharing a beer after the game.

Fuck the rugby, fuck the constant need to be 'competitive' and 'serve the Wallabies/Lions'. Just for one second enjoy what was a great night, showing everything that makes our game great.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also interesting to note that sitting a few rows behind me was a very official looking bloke with a camcorder and tripod set-up. No idea what he was filming though.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I thought Snowden was pretty good at 9, he showed all the stuff he was doing at Eastwood last season, hopefully he gets more game time next season with the Force
I doubt it. With prior and Mathewson. Lol. Maybe the year after though.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I like how the force players that put everything they had into their game and didn't fair that badly get shat on but the men from the rugby heartland get held up like Heroes after getting smashed.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I like how the force players that put everything they had into their game and didn't fair that badly get shat on but the men from the rugby heartland get held up like Heroes after getting smashed.

No one rubbished the Force players, just their management. Plus they are a professional team who get paid to play well, thus they are open to criticism.

Country were mainly amateurs, who only had a few days to train together. They aren't pros, most of them have to go back to work tomorrow.

So I'd say it's pretty obvious why the two teams are treated differently.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The guy marking BOD remarked in the presser afterwards (as he sat, smiling with the Red #13 shirt on) that it was a day off for him today, then back to work.

So yeah, not heroes necessarily, but very happy chaps I'll bet.

The game had value to RUGBY, and that is the point

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
But games like the Country one are what makes the Lions tour great. Sure they are one-sided, but it's a remnant of a byegone era, plumbers and sparkies playing the professionals, then swapping jerseys and sharing a beer after the game.

Fuck the rugby, fuck the constant need to be 'competitive' and 'serve the Wallabies/Lions'. Just for one second enjoy what was a great night, showing everything that makes our game great.

True but if I had a choice of last night vs an Australia A game with ten minutes to go and the scores are tied I know what I'd rather watch.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
True but if I had a choice of last night vs an Australia A game with ten minutes to go and the scores are tied I know what I'd rather watch.

Yeah, the Aus A vs Lions is the real game missing. It's the only non-test game we won vs the Lions last time, and it would be useful to give the dirtrackers, bench players, and non-match fit players a hit out.

I suspect the ARU didn't put it on for one reason: money. The game would have replaced the Baabaas game from which the ARU pocketed half a million. That's a half a million profit before you add in the cost of running the Aus A game. Would the profit from running the Aus A game have exceeded the cost to put it on plus $500k? No idea, but unlikely.

The best way for the scheduling to work would've been for the Lions to play the Force the first weekend, followed by Combined Country midweek, then the Reds, then a Super Rugby side midweek (probably one of the teams that player on Friday, so Brumbies or Rebels).

Then you have left to play the Tahs, Aus A, Brumbies/Rebels. You'd probably want Aus A or Tahs on the weekend, and that leaves the other two midweek.

Easily workable, and the Lions would've faced the Force A team and the Reds A team (minus Wallabies), plus the Aus A team. Much better games all round.

Blame the ARU chasing a quick buck.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
The point, for those who question it, is rugby. This is what the game is about, this is why we play (or in my case played) the game, for the game itself, the mates, the spirit of the game, getting in and having a go, that's where we come from. Sure, money and TV ratings are a big thing now, but if we ever forget what this game's really about we just end up as another professional football code.

I loved it, and as to the result, the Tahs put 72 on the Kings, and they're both supposed to be professional teams playing at the same level.

There was a mention on the commentary, and also here, that Steve Walsh asked the BIL prop not to push too hard. What he actually did was ask him not to pack to wide, as he was making it very hard for the CC loose head to pack outside him by deliberately making the hit very wide.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I did forget to add Steve Walsh did a great job reffing this game. The scrums were moving around a lot as well before the ball was put in so I figure that also may have influenced Walshs call to the BIL not to push too hard.

Pfitzy the 13 was Catt.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was quietly impressed with Richard Standford. I thought he went through a pile of work and was one of the only forwards to consistently make it over the gain line.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
No one rubbished the Force players, just their management. Plus they are a professional team who get paid to play well, thus they are open to criticism.

Country were mainly amateurs, who only had a few days to train together. They aren't pros, most of them have to go back to work tomorrow.

So I'd say it's pretty obvious why the two teams are treated differently.
The Perth game was dubbed as a terrible performance by the team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wheatman most of what Steve Spinks has written about on the Roar has been covered in the previous 8 pages here, albeit not quite as succinctly.

I see you scored a post over there on the follow up comments. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.