• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
There are inconsistencies everywhere in both the testing regimes and also the recording of deaths. In Italy and other countries apparently, elderly people dying at home don't get counted in the COVID-19 deaths because they never had a test even though they most likely died of COVID-19.

China let the virus out into the world in the first place but if you look at Australia's situation, we have imported far more of our COVID-19 problem from the USA than anywhere else. For one of our closest allies we could pin a lot of blame on their lack of response to the pandemic.

Much of the prolonged economic disaster will be as a result of many countries not taking the pandemic seriously enough and acting early based on the experience elsewhere.

The news of the novel coronavirus originating from Wuhan was available in mid January so it is not like there wasn't more time to prepare.

It's hard to pinpoint many countries where you would guarantee their response and transparency to the rest of the world would be better if a novel virus had originated in their country.

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.52.09 am.png

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are inconsistencies everywhere in both the testing regimes and also the recording of deaths. In Italy and other countries apparently, elderly people dying at home don't get counted in the COVID-19 deaths because they never had a test even though they most likely died of COVID-19.

China let the virus out into the world in the first place but if you look at Australia's situation, we have imported far more of our COVID-19 problem from the USA than anywhere else. For one of our closest allies we could pin a lot of blame on their lack of response to the pandemic.

Much of the prolonged economic disaster will be as a result of many countries not taking the pandemic seriously enough and acting early based on the experience elsewhere.

The news of the novel coronavirus originating from Wuhan was available in mid January so it is not like there wasn't more time to prepare.

It's hard to pinpoint many countries where you would guarantee their response and transparency to the rest of the world would be better if a novel virus had originated in their country.

This baffles me, I work in the Sydney CBD, we have had thousands of Chineses tourist trundling around every day of the year, and no line of infections from this cohort?

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Not going to defend the Chinese in their actions, but are they inconsistent with others if they haven't been reporting asymptomatic cases? My understanding is that such cases aren't even tested here.

I suspect it goes well beyond not merely reporting asymptomatic cases.

Looking at Iran for a sec, they've apparently had "only" a couple thousand deaths, yet they're digging mass graves that are so big they can be seen from space. And I've already posted that article about Russia and its strain of "community-transmitted pneumonia."

So I really doubt that the regime that rounds up hundreds of thousands of Uighers in "re-education" camps, practices organ-harvesting on political prisoners, intimidates pro-democracy activists abroad and bought out the World Health Organisation to spread its propaganda would blink at the idea of pretending that there's a huge amount of coronavirus deaths in China that just didn't happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This baffles me, I work in the Sydney CBD, we have had thousands of Chineses tourist trundling around every day of the year, and no line of infections from this cohort?

We have some based on the stats from Up the Guts but they are not high in number. Travel to and from Wuhan and then all of China was ceased far earlier and when we did evacuate Aussies from Wuhan, we quarantined them for two weeks. Meanwhile we kept our borders open elsewhere and did nothing to screen incoming passengers.

We stopped flights to and from Italy but not the USA at a time when it was clear the USA was causing us more of issue (partly due to the much greater air traffic on that route). This was clearly political.

Because it's not true that we've imported more of our cases from the USA than anywhere else. As at 1 April, case origination data:

Europe isn't a country.

Cruise ships are a bit of a case unto themselves. The massive influx from the Ruby Princess is largely Australian tourists who boarded the cruise in Australia and returned to Australia.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
We have some based on the stats from Up the Guts but they are not high in number. Travel to and from Wuhan and then all of China was ceased far earlier and when we did evacuate Aussies from Wuhan, we quarantined them for two weeks. Meanwhile we kept our borders open elsewhere and did nothing to screen incoming passengers.

We stopped flights to and from Italy but not the USA at a time when it was clear the USA was causing us more of issue (partly due to the much greater air traffic on that route). This was clearly political.

Europe isn't a country.

Cruise ships are a bit of a case unto themselves. The massive influx from the Ruby Princess is largely Australian tourists who boarded the cruise in Australia and returned to Australia.
No but you didn’t say “more than any other country,” you said “more than anywhere else,” which is demonstrably false.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I suspect it goes well beyond not merely reporting asymptomatic cases.

Looking at Iran for a sec, they've apparently had "only" a couple thousand deaths, yet they're digging mass graves that are so big they can be seen from space. And I've already posted that article about Russia and its strain of "community-transmitted pneumonia."

So I really doubt that the regime that rounds up hundreds of thousands of Uighers in "re-education" camps, practices organ-harvesting on political prisoners, intimidates pro-democracy activists abroad and bought out the World Health Organisation to spread its propaganda would blink at the idea of pretending that there's a huge amount of coronavirus deaths in China that just didn't happen.

Simple rule, totalitarian regimes don't want bad news or dissent spread, so lower level bureaucrats kill the messenger, both figuratively and metaphorically

I have a couple of Chinese mainland born and raised employees, their understanding of world events is quite amazing, the Indoctrination runs deep

Uighers - just bad people being helped
Taiwan - still part of China
Tiananmen Square - agitators

And then Chinese government agencies spend a load on marketing/PR. One good example is their spending spending loads of $$$ with the NYT to deliver a China Daily insert within the paper - of course would never skew their editorial slant .................................

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I honestly wouldnt be surprised if some of the China apologists commenting on news articles and the like are on the CCP payroll.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I honestly wouldnt be surprised if some of the China apologists commenting on news articles and the like are on the CCP payroll.

Most of the people commenting on Australian forums are LNP/Labor juniors, I would be very, very surprised if there weren't CCP employees commenting.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Gents just out of interest as to your collective views .....

If we achieve "moderate" mitigation with the first suppression flag commencing in window of April 6th to 8th the modelling suggest total cases of 10,000 ( say , rounded ) by end of May with < 1,000 active cases

Yes , we have to be careful around triggering a second wave - but are these markers sufficient to phase in some return to normalcy?

In particular , at what point do you see , that is safe / appropriate for Sport ( read : Football codes ) to re-commence ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In particular , at what point do you see , that is safe / appropriate for Sport ( read : Football codes ) to re-commence ?

I would say not until there is ample availability of rapid COVID-19 tests and/or antibody testing to see who might have already had it.

Given where restrictions are currently at in NSW and Victoria in particular, it would seem that there needs to be a substantial reduction in that before an argument can be raised that any high risk activities can resume.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I dont see how we could return to normal without triggering another wave until a vaccine or total eradication has been achieved? Particularly given there appears to be significant numbers of asymptomatic carriers.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
If antibody testing works and, all going well, those who have had it are allowed to return back to work, then how long is it till people start trying to deliberately infect themselves?