• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Craft beer thread

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I have purchased a 6 pack of James Squires in preparation for tonights game. I am sure it will taste better if the Wallabies win and hopefully not too bad if they go down.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Guys, guys, guys - a great thread, I don't know where to start.

Living on the Mud Isle, I guess I'm spoilt for choice. In a savour the complexity and flavour occassion, I'm usually hitting the vino - but will now consider re-exploring some of the Belgian beers. Was in Brussels recently on business and hit the Duvel.

I've managed to get used to, and even like, some of the indigenous warm flat stuff (playing cricket and rugby, there was no choice some times, and it's easy to skull!).

The key there is to match the weather/mood to the colour/flavour. The darker heavier stuff is really meant for mid winter in a fire lit pub and gale outside. Speckled Hen would fit in there. In an Aussie climate look for something much lighter with a golden colour; Summer Lightning, Discovery, Honey Dew etc. They're meant to be a little cooler as well.

However, I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder and one of my constant quests is to get hold of Aussie beer over here. Amazing what memories a taste brings back! I left Oz so long ago that Hahn Premium was still an independent boutique beer when I left and I'm still loyal! However, the only Oz brew you can regularly and easily get over here is VB, so there's a six pack of that in the fridge looking very nervous should we win today!

Oh, and when in RSA Windhoek goes down a treat!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
God is on our side! :yay :yay :yay There's a new Belgian-style beer on the market, brewed by the Benedictine monks at New Norcia in West Oz. Saw an article recently featuring Chuck Hahn's handsome dial with the head monk at NN. He's cleaned up an old Benedictine recipe and helped them set up a micro-brewery at the abbey to brew Abbey Ale.

Just sunk my first this afternoon: 7% alc/vol, rich, clean, touch of spice and fruit on the back palate, FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. Faithful to the true Belgian abbey style. God must be on our side. We HAVE to win this evening.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
An American brewing Belgian beer in Western Australia is a sign? Mate, you're easily convinced.

I'm off to put on a collared shirt so I can go to Leura Golf Culb for the game.

Go the Robblies!

M

Mainlander

Had to rush over to NZ (Wellington) last week... Typical was supposed to be in Brissy and in a corporate box with free piss to boot but was not to be....

Discovered a new Speight?s beer that was bloody nice.

It's called Distinction and would highly recommend it.

http://www.speights.co.nz/Great-Beers/Speight-s-Range.aspx said:
Speight's Distinction Ale

This premium ale is a traditional full flavoured malt ale with hints of caramel, malt and butterscotch flavours. Five malts have been blended to create a full malty bitterness that sets it apart from other beers.

The full flavour of this ale is not intimidated by big red meat dishes and it holds its own against casseroles, steaks and venison.

Style Dark Ale
First Brewed 1994
Alcohol Level 5%
Energy (kj/100ml) 172
Calories (cal/100ml) 41
Carbs (g/100ml) 3.5

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
It's a lovely beer, alright. Good call on the food as well; we drank it with venison in Te Anau, and it went down a treat. :thumb

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I came back to NZ and went to buy a box of Steinlager, the name on the side of the All Blacks*. The helpful bugger restocking the chiler suggested I try the "Pure". No Preservatives. No additives. Just beer...

It's a lager, it's 5%, it tastes good, it's best served just above fridge temp, it does have a decent stench. However the main point: No Hangover!

So since then if I've been drinking it's been Steinlager, the name on the side of the All Blacks Pure.

For Londoners, the Speights pub near Temple sells it over the bar. Aussies, it's a Lion Breweries effort - you might be lucky enough? Kiwi's, the local boozer is your friend.

*Marketing doesn't affect me. At all.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
There's a Speights pub near the Temple? :eek:

Details, if you would...

It's one of the great things about Windhoek, as well; Rheinheitsgebot beer, no chemicals or additives, lovely and pure. Windhoek Draft is even better. ;D

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Thomond78 said:

Details, if you would...
Go to Temple Tube Station , instead of turning right as you exit, turn left, walk up a slight hill, turn right, walk for a few minutes, turn right, pub is on the left hand side of the road.

Well , that's how I got there anyway. I don't remember leaving but I must have because I'm here.

It's called the Southerner. No sheep there though.

F

formeropenside

Scorz said:
Thomond78 said:

Details, if you would...
Go to Temple Tube Station , instead of turning right as you exit, turn left, walk up a slight hill, turn right, walk for a few minutes, turn right, pub is on the left hand side of the road.

Well , that's how I got there anyway. I don't remember leaving but I must have because I'm here.

It's called the Southerner. No sheep there though.

Well, you did say it was a pub not a brothel!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did a "Beer Snob" tasting at MuMu restaurant in Crows Nest the other week.

6 Oz Boutique beers in one hour. Very nice way to spend a couple of hours if a little exe.
http://www.beersnobs.com.au/

White Rabbit White Ale
Williams Pilsner
Riverside ???
Two Birds Sunset Ale
Moo Brewery Dark Ale
Riverside 69 Summer Ale

Loved most of them, never heard of any of them previously. Good banter from Dan about the brews.

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Did a "Beer Snob" tasting at MuMu restaurant in Crows Nest the other week.

6 Oz Boutique beers in one hour. Very nice way to spend a couple of hours if a little exe.
http://www.beersnobs.com.au/

White Rabbit White Ale
Williams Pilsener
Riverside ???
Two Birds Sunset Ale
Moo Brewery Dark Ale
Riverside 69 Summer Ale

Loved most of them, never heard of any of them previously. Good banter from Dan about the brews.

The other one might have been Riverside 77 IPA? I know MuMu does stock it along with Riverside 69.

Dan's a good guy, glad it was a fun night.

What was your fave?

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Big fan of belgian beer over here, though here in Paris is not at all a rare thing.
I'm no expert, but I like the beers light in color and strong in alcohol, such as trippels. I'm a regular at a bar with over 150 belgian beers in the menu, though I try not to take the same beer to often.
Enjoying a blonde La Chouffe right now after work

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Favourite Belgian beer has to be Duvel. Its 8.3% but not too heavy to drink. 6 pints of that and you'll be well on your way to a good night!

Actually while I'm on the topic anyone know of anywhere this is available in Sydney?

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Favourite Belgian beer has to be Duvel. Its 8.3% but not too heavy to drink. 6 pints of that and you'll be well on your way to a good night!

Actually while I'm on the topic anyone know of anywhere this is available in Sydney?

Available at Platinum Liquor in both Bellevue Hill & North Strathfield. They carry a very good selection of Belgian beers.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The other one might have been Riverside 77 IPA? I know MuMu does stock it along with Riverside 69.

Dan's a good guy, glad it was a fun night.

What was your fave?

Hard to say. I liked the Pilsner, but then I have a preference for Pilsners.