• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cricket Summer 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'll be annoyed if Warner sails through this without reprimand as he was obviously involved. Unfortunately I can see easily envisage CA standing down Smith from the team for a while and handing over the reigns to Davey.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is Lehmann still in SA? Not a word form the coach in 24 hours. Quite strange. The longer his silence continues the worse it looks.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
At least the teams identity of win at all costs,never giving an inch,making the opposition fight for every moment is paying off.
O-57, all out 107.
A real backs to the wall performance.

I'm picking Warner to be the new captain.Purely on the basis that he is the most ill equipped to perform the role.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Barmy Army may be in our house, but they can't get you guys out of their head.

Bloody trickier than it looks

Cameron is an Aussie.
He fucked around with the ball.
Steve Smith the captain,
Said fuck it, you take the fall.

Cam-o shoved the tape
Right down his fucken strides.
Coach Lehman said send more tape out with the fucken drinks cart...
Upon which the 12th man rides.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nah, not really

Some rub their balls with lollies
Some scuff them in the dirt
Some pick them with their fingernails
Jeez, that must bloody hurt

To move them left, to move them right
They like their balls to swing
Because of Cam and Steve and Dave
Their balls are in a sling!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really? Ball tampering isn't that uncommon and the ICC penalty is pretty well established. Faf himself has been caught in the past (twice), as have other leading international players.

However, I think there are two important background points here that make this different.

Firstly, this was orchestrated, and time will reveal who was involved and how often this has occurred before - its hard to believe this is a one off. If more instances emerge (or more involvements in this instance), I am sure the ICC will have more punishments.

Secondly, this comes when the behavior of the Aus cricket team was already in question in many places due to the repeated and overly aggressive sledging (with the aim of "mental disintegration") that is ingrained in our game. Plenty of people feel we have had double standards on this for quite some time - happy to hand it out but cry foul when its dealt back to us. The same people would argue that this has been the "canary in the coal mine" for quite a while and CA has done little to address the underlying behavior and culture in the team. By doing so, they have let the issues fester and here we are now with ball tampering.

Dark times for Aus cricket fans. I don't know what to think yet.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Really? Ball tampering isn't that uncommon and the ICC penalty is pretty well established. Faf himself has been caught in the past (twice), as have other leading international players.

However, I think there are two important background points here that make this different.

Firstly, this was orchestrated, and time will reveal who was involved and how often this has occurred before - its hard to believe this is a one off. If more instances emerge (or more involvements in this instance), I am sure the ICC will have more punishments.

Secondly, this comes when the behavior of the Aus cricket team was already in question in many places due to the repeated and overly aggressive sledging (with the aim of "mental disintegration") that is ingrained in our game. Plenty of people feel we have had double standards on this for quite some time - happy to hand it out but cry foul when its dealt back to us. The same people would argue that this has been the "canary in the coal mine" for quite a while and CA has done little to address the underlying behavior and culture in the team. By doing so, they have let the issues fester and here we are now with ball tampering.

It’s really made worse that we were told that it was “planned by the leadership group.” If one guy just picks at the seam, rubs a bit of sunscreen on it, or lubricates it with a mint like Faf then even if that guy did plan it before hand it’s not apparent to the general public and it just gets passed off as a brain fart or spur of the moment thing. If Smith tampered with the ball in the same way Faf did and planned to do so at lunch we’d all be passing this off as a brain fart even though he had conspired to cheat.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Spot on. The ICC has tacitly said chucking the ball in to damage it is naughty, but little more; other means (lollies etc) have been widespread in their use and are sparingly punished; in fact some previous transgressors are quite vocal about this now. None of which makes one bit of mitigation for the Aus cricket team, or anyone. Not at all. To have a team captain, and others among the senior players collude to cheat is just deplorable. They deserve, and should get, no sympathy, but lengthy bans. But there are a fair few hypocrites mouthing off around the world too. I don't have much time or regard for them either.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Head lines are saying Smith is struggling following the backlash to the incident. Some would say he deserves to feel bad but If I was the team/CA I would keep an eye on the guy, he is very highly strung (apparently gets only a couple of hours sleep a night during a test match despite taking sleeping pills) and is probably in a very bad place mentally. Hopefully his wife is over there with him and can help him through it.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Plenty of people feel we have had double standards on this for quite some time - happy to hand it out but cry foul when its dealt back to us.
Shit, I reckon if the players could cop it along with dishing it out there would be a bit less criticism.

Good thing they didn't play against Viv!

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting article:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...g-scandal-ng-a593cbc80f21f33813d7bfef097afd7b

Key points:

- 'Leadership group' is Smith, Warner, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon
- Warner originally concocted the plan
- Starc, Hazelwood & Lyon don't appear to have knowledge of the plan
- The 3 bowlers are pissed off at Smith for throwing them under the bus

That's a detailed leak to the press!

I found this piece really useful and interesting: http://www.espncricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack/content/story/1090804.html

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting article:
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...g-scandal-ng-a593cbc80f21f33813d7bfef097afd7b

Key points:

- 'Leadership group' is Smith, Warner, Starc, Hazelwood, Lyon
- Warner originally concocted the plan
- Starc, Hazelwood & Lyon don't appear to have knowledge of the plan
- The 3 bowlers are pissed off at Smith for throwing them under the bus

Given the stupidity of the plan it was pretty obvious Warner probably was the driving force behind it.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Given the stupidity of the plan it was pretty obvious Warner probably was the driving force behind it.
I’m loving that no bowlers seem to be involved in the plan to alter the condition of the ball. As hard as I’d normally find that to believe it somehow seems to fit!!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
As hard as I’d normally find that to believe it somehow seems to fit!!

It makes sense that their the ones so pissed. It completely undermines their hard work and means any week they take comes under scrutiny. Even if CA don't strip Smith and Warner of the captaincy, if I was one of those three, why would you want to play under them again after being blindsided like that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

The fact that none of those involved in the whole sorry mess seem to have stopped and said:
a) this is a really dumb idea
b) this is morally wrong
c) this is cheting
d) we're going to get caught because there's 30 cameras all focussed on us
e) all of the above

indicates that there's not too much intelligence possessed by any of them and even less honour and common decency.

Very, very sad on so many levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.