• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Reds Prelim 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Evenly matched on paper, with the reds possibly bringing a little more brawn in the tight 5 and reserves, but the Crusaders able to bring Sir Ritchie into the game. Risky to pack no 2nd rower on the bench with Romano only just back from injury but those are the games the coaches play. Centres are pretty equally matched for mine, with Taylor probably having the edge passing wise over lance, who is the better tackler, and tapuai and crotty being about equal at their best (and neither a natural 13). However taps has not been at his best so we'll have to wait and see

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Gee it is such a shame when a talented young man cannot reach his potential due to injury - happens all the time but still a shame

vismyr

Peter Burge (5)
Really looking forward to this game. The Reds haven't won in Christchurch since 1999, and I think that's going to continue this weekend. The 'Saders made a big statement when they handed the Chiefs an absolute thumping a few weeks ago, on the back of that totally dominant forward performance. Its pretty obvious they feel they have unfinished business with the Chiefs and unfortunately for the Reds, they find themselves in the way. Though the last few games between these two teams have been close, I think the 'Saders will kick away by the 65 minute mark.

Crusaders by 12+

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
If this game was played under the auspices of any QRU competition, McCaw would not be qualified to play as he has not played sufficient lead-up games.
Could we try and enforce this?

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
If this game was played under the auspices of any QRU competition, McCaw would not be qualified to play as he has not played sufficient lead-up games.
Could we try and enforce this?

We all know that the ethics of this affair are questionable but who really could be bothered - as the kiwis would likely whinge and moan so much.

Hopefully Jaco calls him for being offside and shows the yellow for repeatedly slowing down the ball at the ruck which will inevitably occur.... but once again Jaco will likely be in the kiwis corner and as such reds up against it....

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
We all know that the ethics of this affair are questionable but who really could be bothered - as the kiwis would likely whinge and moan so much.

No. But don't let the facts get in the way of your moan.

McCaw was named in the Crusaders squad at the beginning of the season precisely because his comeback was to be timed for the finals (assuming the Saders made them.)

See for yourself.

http://www.superxv.com/Crusaders/squad.asp

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Its a very settled starting lineup for the Crusaders. Donnelly did a decent job last week filling in for Romano, but Romano and S. Whitelock have played the majority of the season together and been in vey good form. S. Whitelock is probably our most important player because of his defensive lineout work and his tackle and breakdown workrate.

Would've liked to have seen Tupou or Donnelly on the bench but Blackadder has persisted and persisted with L. Whitelock all through the season - much to the chagrin of the Crusader faithful. He has played a little bit of lock at ITM level and filled in during this S15 campaign when substitiutes have been made, but its not ideal IMO. Perhaps Todd is banking on his AB duo to play the full 80 and a versatile player like Luke is insurance?

The front row is starting to work better together and Flynn needs to play a fair chunk of the game if not the full 80 because Funnell's throwing is very questionable. With Jaco reffing I think the scrums will be given a bit of time before penalties are handed out. Crockett will be under pressure, but he's played well since the France series.

The Crusader back row has worked well as a unit this season. there's been minimal disruptions and Matt Todd has grown an arm and leg since getting his first AB cap. Read has been up and down in form and I'm hoping he really steps it up and displays the sort of form that has had him touted as the best 8th man in world rugby. He won't want to be captain of a Sader side that loses a finals game on home soil......

Ellis and Carter have been around a long time. Early in the season when Carter was sidelined, Ellis was our best performed backline player. He took on the line more, his box kick was used to great effect, his passing to Bleyandall was crisp and his direction of the forwards was 2nd to none. Since Carter has come back his games have been a mixed bag, some excellent performances along with some less effective play. But against the Chiefs he was very good doing what he does best, playing close to the gain line. "Beans" play off the bench has been an impoortant factor in closing out some games last and this season.

Carter's tackiling and kicking IMO is what sets him apart from any other 1st 5. He is tackling more in the line and has text book technique - low and with the back bent. His sweeping left foot punts that travel consistently 45-50m take huge pressure off our forwards and no doubt this will be used on Saturday night.

Taylor/Crotty is the best midfield we can put out on the park. Even with a fit Fruean I prefer this duo - Fruean is a better winger than midfield. These two are honest footballers that toil all night and do the job they are asked of. There's nothing flash in either of them and neither have the ability to just turn a game, but Taylor will take some of the kicking pressure off Carter - allowing Dan to attack the line, and Crotty will if needed straighten the attack.

Dagg really needs a big game. He has the skill and ability to turn a game if required. But this season Dagg has been pretty easy to read as a footballer, insofar that i've known after about 5-10 minutes what sort of influence he is going to have. Step it up Izzy.

Predicted earlier that it should be a good tough game, but I cannot see this Crusader team losing a big game on home turf. Saders by 11

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Heart says Reds but the common sense says Crusaders. They are a tough team at home. Hoping for an exciting game either way I am just not convinced that the Lance-Tapuai combination will work. Then again CFS would have been a huge gamble.

Morahan on the bench is confusing for mine, he is the kind of guy who can change a game and his form isn't bad. Maybe they think he will have a bigger impact against tired forwards but I'd prefer him starting. If Lucas, Cooper, Genia and the forwards match their opposite numbers it should be an even contest.

Crusaders by 5 (will be cheering very loudly for the Reds!)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting to see how the breakdown is reffed for this game. CFS I think will be the inside ball option for Quade in the role that Digby normally fills and Davies was doing last week.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not sold on the Crusaders, I think the game will be close but despite being an away game I think the Reds will win, provided 1 Genia is given space 2 Cooper plays a confident game. I am a little concerned about the Reds backline but the defensive counter attack game should do them ok.

All bets are off if Dagg has a blinder, but will he?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see all 4 Whitelocks named in the 23. Hope we get to see the quadrella with all 4 on the oval at once.

It is a tough ask to take on the Saders at home in a knockout game. They haven't the best record against the Reds at Suncorp, but home in the Shaky Isles I think the Saders in a tight game.

QC (Quade Cooper) to play a blinder to silence his critics, and cement his place in the Wobs.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hope QC (Quade Cooper) remains composed and plays his normal game as the crowd will; really give him some stick.
He seems to have matured over the past year or so, both on and off the paddock

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Hope QC (Quade Cooper) remains composed and plays his normal game as the crowd will really give him some stick.

just be thankful your name is not greg martin, you'd be ridiculed for saying that.

oops, he did and was.

Agree, hope he plays a blinder. We need him to produce and flourish under link.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think this game might play out similar to the Reds last game in Christchurch. A close game for the first 60-65 minutes, with the Reds maybe even taking the lead in the early stages. But the saders to finish stronger and take the win. Just hoping we play well.

Gurz

Allen Oxlade (6)
Queensland the real under dogs here and majority of media and commentators tipping against them which is probably the smart money.... BUT.... I got a feeling Reds going to come to the party this weekend... I think their forward pack is looking dominant on paper so really comes down to execution and reffing calls..... should be a cracker

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Gee there are some optimistic Reds supporters. The Crusaders only real weakness is Wyatt Crockett - although a couple of their backline stars are a bit iffy from time to time.

I would really love to think that the Reds can get home, but cannot see it happening in Christchurch. Hope I'm wrong.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Corey Flynn is a big weakness as well.

Interesting that the Rebels and Waratahs went really close to beating the Crusaders in Christchurch this year, both had the win there for the taking.

The Force beat them and the Brumbies were the only ones outplayed.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just BTW:

Before EVERY one of the recent Reds v Cru games, the outputs from blogs and pro commentators were all the same: "The wonderful, tough, know-all-about-finals-rugby, great players dominating, overwhelming favourites, Crusaders vs the highly talented but somehow less strong, less experienced and less able Reds. Crusaders surely must win it."

That description has only turned out true in the minority of recent cases.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring. But the consensus view above is a flawed predictor.

Status
Not open for further replies.