• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders v Waratahs, Round 13, 20 May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If that was on offside call on the goal line with two offside players preventing what could only be a try how is it not a penalty try and a YC. That is just woeful.

The Tahs were totally outplayed for 90% of that game, but the Crusaders do what has always shitted me off about them and the ABs, they can totally dominate a game and they still resort to the cynical professional penalties.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Scrappy 2nd half, but a pretty good game I thought. Was a bit surprised with some of the subs, would of been tempted to leave Phipps on if I was Gibson. Anyway I enjoyed game, and good to see Hooper showing a bit of class to remember Ellis was playing game 150 tonight. All in all I have seen worse games !

The game was gone and two players are total keys to the Tahs, Phipps being one and Foley being the other.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
The Tahs were totally outplayed for 90% of that game, but the Crusaders do what has always shitted me off about them and the ABs, they can totally dominate a game and they still resort to the cynical professional penalties.

yawn, you mean like when McNicholl was about to score from kicking the ball and Phipps tackled him without the ball with the goal line at his mercy? It's not OK when THEY do it!:(

Houndi

Frank Nicholson (4)
I don't think I've seen Foley play that poorly before, hopefully it's not raining during the England series.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
yawn, you mean like when McNicholl was about to score from kicking the ball and Phipps tackled him without the ball with the goal line at his mercy? It's not OK when THEY do it!:(

Lets not forget who invented taking players out past the ruck etc. Yawn and be dismissive all you want, it is nothing but the truth. Perhaps the lack of decision in the Phipps matter was a square up, but its a bit hard to compare offside tacklers a metre off the line with nobody else in front, and the Crusaders are the best at this sort of cynical play.

I'll compare it with Maradonna, he was the best soccer player the world had seen since Pele, but he was a cheating F%$# and for me that makes him far from a great and really nothing more than a wasted talent.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tordah don't bother.

Was a little surprised to see Folau at fullback for basically the whole game. Was there a late change in the lineup? I know there was a defensive pattern of positional changes involving 3 players, but it seemed he was basically playing his normal fullback game in attack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

G

galumay

Much as I hate to be the twat that told you so....I told you so. The gap is real and present. Tah's didnt play awful rugby, but the 'Saders are just at another level. Their defence was great and then their accuracy and skill level was rewarded with points in attack.

I think the Tah's can be reasonably happy with the 2nd half, denied the Saders a bonus point and played some good rugby.

The bush donkeys will have to trip over their boot laces to miss out on the finals spot for an aussie team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given the number of Waratahs who are going to be in the test squad, this was a let down. The only player in form, maybe, is Horne, though I'm giving Holloway the week to come back from injury. Crusaders might count themselves unlucky that it was even close.

Definitely agree that the second half was better from the Tahs POV, but it's still a worrying set of performances from them this year.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Gotta say the Saders looked good - played well outta the blocks. Awesome handling skills. Tahs were going to need much more aggressive defence to negate it.

I was surprised/impressed by how the Tahs managed to apply some pressure towards the back end - Beale was a big miss though. While Foley didn't have his best game, there's a lot of hyperbole surrounding it. He made some excellent runs and D was solid.

Was there one penalty against the Crusaders at the breakdown? Peyper abdicated that one.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Given the number of Waratahs who are going to be in the test squad, this was a let down. The only player in form, maybe, is Horne, though I'm giving Holloway the week to come back from injury. Crusaders might count themselves unlucky that it was even close.

Definitely agree that the second half was better from the Tahs POV, but it's still a worrying set of performances from them this year.

It's been the story of the super season. The top 4 Kiwi teams are a step above everyone else. At least having the Blues in the comp reminds us that Kiwis are beatable at rugby.

The Wallabies will be better than the sum of its parts, but so will the ABs. Tough times ahead, but we'll be competitive.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who did most of the ruck work for the Waratahs in this match?

2016-05-21_12-59-55.jpg

The strategy of standing off Defence Rucks obviously changed after Half Time.
The Waratahs had only 15 Defence Ruck involvements in the first half.

Ruck involvements over time

2016-05-21_12-59-02.jpg

Highest contributions by Backs:
Horne - 12 Total (8 Attack/4 Defence); Folau - 12T (11A/1D)

Turn Overs Won:
1 TOW to TPN, Tom Robertson, Roach & Palu.

EDIT: Some minor changes to distribution of rucks in last 10 minutes.

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

Most Ruck Involvements from Round 13.
2016-05-23_6-07-24.jpg

2016-05-23_6-06-38.jpg

As usual the table is dominated by Back Rowers - plus 3 Front Rowers and 3 Locks.
Only 4 players from this list were in the 2015 RWC squad.
If you recall the Wallabies were totally worked over at the breakdown by the ABs in the RWC Final

M

Moono75

Warratahs.....as a team, the return on investment equals a fail. I have shares like this........

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really good performance, first half in particular, but not getting the BP could be a huge problem as early as later today: I'm expecting the Tribe to give the Rebs a hiding & us to be 5th come tomorrow. Given we've got the Bloos next week & Tribe have 'tahs we're a chance to grab it back & go into the June break on top by virtue of points differential (we're currently 37 better than Tribe, hard to see them making up that much ground in two matches), but I'd be a lot happier if we were sitting on 41 right now.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Overall, it was an entertaining game of rugby.

Tahs scrum under big pressure most of the night and until a particular player heartily engages at scrimtime, every time, they will continue to have problems.

Thought Folau and Horne were very good. Anyone who thought Rob Horne would miss a spot in the Wallabies should give themselves an uppercut.

Tahs missed Kurtley bigtime.

Season just got a lot tougher

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I still think one of Tahs biggest problems (and most aussie teams) is their lack of effort off the ball, they would really annoy me if I coached them, forget all the shit about extra skills (though they are there) still biggest difference between teams from NZ and Aussie is work rate off the ball, and Phipps is an exception. Why do you think Kiwi teams transit into attack from defence so well, because every bugger works his arse off to be in a position to make a difference when the ball is turned over, just look when Tahs made break out and kicked ahead how many Crusaders players got back to clean up and set up a ruck to secure ball. I get gobsmacked by how many people rate players as great because they see them make a break or beat a couple of tackles, but are not working their arses off in defence, chasing the ball etc etc. It is quite a simple, it's not league it's RUGBY be in the game ALL the bloody time!
Lol ok my little rant for day, just what I always used to coach onto my players when I could and how I rate players!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still think one of Tahs biggest problems (and most aussie teams) is their lack of effort off the ball, they would really annoy me if I coached them, forget all the shit about extra skills (though they are there) still biggest difference between teams from NZ and Aussie is work rate off the ball, and Phipps is an exception. Why do you think Kiwi teams transit into attack from defence so well, because every bugger works his arse off to be in a position to make a difference when the ball is turned over, just look when Tahs made break out and kicked ahead how many Crusaders players got back to clean up and set up a ruck to secure ball. I get gobsmacked by how many people rate players as great because they see them make a break or beat a couple of tackles, but are not working their arses off in defence, chasing the ball etc etc. It is quite a simple, it's not league it's RUGBY be in the game ALL the bloody time!
Lol ok my little rant for day, just what I always used to coach onto my players when I could and how I rate players!

can't agree more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom