• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD: Timaru - 2011R17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Where:
Alpine Energy Stadium, Timaru

When:
7.30pm(local time), 5.30pm(AEST) Saturday, June 11th

Head to Head:
Played 18 - Crusaders 9 wins, Blues 9 wins

Last Game:
Blues 24 def Crusaders 22, Eden Park, February 19th, 2011

Referee:
Craig Joubert

Teams:

Crusaders
Coach: Todd Blackader

1. Ben Franks
2. Corey Flynn
3. Owen Franks
4. Brad Thorn
5. Sam Whitelock
6. George Whitelock
7. Matt Todd
8. Kieran Read (c)

9. Andy Ellis
10. Dan Carter
11. Zac Guildford
12. Sonny Bill Williams
13. Robbie Fruean
14. Brent Ward
15. Tom Marshall

Reserves:

16. Quentin MacDonald
17. Wyatt Crockett
18. Luke Romano
19. Jonathan Poff
20. Willi Heinz
21. Matt Berquist
22. Ryan Crotty

Blues
Coach: Pat Lam

15. Jared Payne
14. Joe Rokocoko
13. Benson Stanley
12. Luke McAlister
11. Rene Ranger
10. Stephen Brett
9. Alby Mathewson

8. Peter Saili
7. Luke Braid
6. Jerome Kaino
5. Ali Williams
4. Anthony Boric
3. Charlie Faumuina
2. Keven Mealamu (capt)
1. John Afoa.

Reserves:

16. Tom McCartney
17. Tevita Mailau
18. Chris Lowery
19. Sean Polwart
20. Chris Smylie
21. Lachie Munro
22. Sherwin Stowers.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This is a vitally important fixture in the context of the NZ Conference and the competition more generally.

The winner of this fixture is all but assured of winning the Conference. And a home match in the first week of the finals. I can't see either of these teams overtaking the Stormers or Reds for a top 2 position, unless there are one or two upsets over the next fortnight.

In Round 1, the Blues really surprised the Crusaders, and won their clash through good old fashioned graft in the forwards. They dominated their Southern rivals up front, and smashed them at the breakdown. I expect the ruck contest to be just as fierce and just as crucial this weekend, and the Crusaders will need to match the intensity of the Blues pack in this facet.

The return of Andy Ellis couldn't have come at a better time for the Crusaders. Willie Heinz is an honest but limited journeyman, and the return of a world class no.9 such as Ellis certainly bolsters the Crusaders stocks. With Maitland and Dagg out for the season, the Crusaders will need to play a more structured, conservative style of rugby, and Ellis' leadership, kicking game and decision making will help facilitate this. He'll be a little rusty after 2 months out of rugby, but I hope he regains his pre-injury form as soon as possible.

The key match-ups in this for me are:

Matt Todd v Luke Braid: Arguably the two best young 7s in NZ. Both players will have plenty to prove. Braid and Todd have been two of the success stories of this year's tournament, and whilst neither will feature in the RWC squad (barring injuries), both look like stars of the future. I get the felling that these two will be fighting for the ABs no.7 jersey (or at the very least to be McCaw's backup) for years to come.

Ellis v Mathewson: This will be a very important game for both these halves, as they fight to secure a RWC squad berth. Both players are under a bit of pressure. Both started the season very strong. But Ellis has been injured for almost two months, and Mathewson's form has slumped in recent weeks. The service and decision making these two provide for their teams will be crucial.

Thorn & Whitelock v Ali Williams & Boric:
There's a very good chance that this will be Henry's locking quartet for the RWC. Given that, you'd expect this contest to be fierce. The Blues forwards smacked the Crusaders pack around in round 1, and I expect that the Red'n'blacks haven't forgotten this. The work that both sets of locks do at the breakdown will be vital. Moreover, the set piece will be telling. I expect the scrums to largely cancel each other out, meaning the lineout contest will be crucial. The Crusaders lineout has been extremely accurate over the past few games, and so for their sake I hope this continues. It will need to be at its best, with Ali Williams looking to fiercely contest opposing throws. In saying that, the Blues lineout has not been particularly strong over recent times and no doubt this is one area in which they will expect improvement against their southern rivals.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Three great games in a row tonight. I actually forgot about this one, which may end up being the best of the lot.

You forgot about this one? What a pleasant surprise for a rugby fan.

There are actually four massive games over the weekend. The three tonight and then the Stormers v Bulls match early tomorrow morning. We should have a much clearer idea about how the finals will pan out this time tomorrow than we do now.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The first one was a cracker, this one will go off too. Can't wait.

By the way, there's a Whitelock captaining the NZ team at the JWC; how many brothers are there in there in this family!?

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)

By the way, there's a Whitelock captaining the NZ team at the JWC; how many brothers are there in there in this family!?

Four Whitelock brothers are currently signed to the Canterbury Rugby Football Union and the Crusaders. Sam and George Whitelock have both been test capped. Adam Whitelock has 30 caps for the Crusaders and the youngest Luke is captain of the under 20s.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can't wait. This will be a cracker. I've actually tipped a draw. So many good match-ups

Also, I didn't know where to put this but Kiwis what are your thoughts on Aled de Malmanche? I think he's actually the worst hooker in Super rugby, shame because he's quite big. The Chiefs lost that game yesterday when he came on for Elliot.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Too bloody many! :)

Reactions: DPK
G

GC

Worst reffing performance of the year from Joubert and touchies - and that's saying something. Missed scrum pens that lead to try, forward passes, shoulder charges, throwing in from touch when not actually in touch...the list goes on. Every one against the Blues.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Worst reffing performance of the year from Joubert and touchies - and that's saying something. Missed scrum pens that lead to try, forward passes, shoulder charges, throwing in from touch when not actually in touch...the list goes on. Every one against the Blues.

It has been appalling. A lot of the missed stuff is in the job description of the Assistant Refs - the quick lineouts, forward passes, offside especially. Very shabby. I'll bet they'll be on quick smart if they can see a "head on TV" opportunity though.

G

GC

Try butcher of the year....even better than Somerville's many rounds back. That's some funny shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.