• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Currie Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
WP were horrible, I know the 10 is young by wow he was sitting way too far back when receiving the ball. WP's runners just didn't make enough ground compared to the Lions forwards.

I think the Lions can beat the Sharks next week.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Black weekend for WP supporters. All their teams got knocked out of the semis. Frustrating season comes to the end for WeePee and Bok supporters.

Lions deserved their win no doubt, they killed us at the breakdowns and the young 9 & 10 kicked much hard earned possession away. Back to square one for us.

Good luck to the Lions and hope they and the Sharks have a big final on saturday.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am tucked between the two. Best for SA rugby if the Lions take the CC but I am a coastal supporter. The CC showed that the Bokke being back havent gave the necessary boost for the provinces. Lions have been great all CC and deserve the Kerrie Koppie. Taute and Jantjies probably our biggest young stars at this very moment. Strauss (vokken x Bolander and boer as can be) and Minnie killed us last weekend at the breakdowns. The Sharks better pick Botes otherwise they'll get the same pain as what we recieved.

Pretty disappointing about our U21s losing against the Sharks at Ravensmead at home last saturday. wanted to see more of Ruan and JP Smith before they head back to the Brumbies. Also wanted to see where JP du Plessis is at the moment.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Ellispark a sold out for the final. after going on sale on monday.
Lionsrugby
2011 Absa Currie Cup Final Tickets
October 24, The MTN Golden Lions, after a nail-biting semi-final match against DHL Western Province, have qualified for the 2011 Absa Currie Cup Final which will take place at Coca-Cola Park on Saturday, 29 October 2011. This will be the first home final the Lions have played in since 2002 and the first final they’ve competed in since 2007.

Tickets for Season Ticket and Half Year Ticket holders will go on sale on Monday, 24 October 2011 and tickets will cost just R100.00 each. These tickets can only be purchased from the Coca-Cola Park Ticket Office up until 4pm on Tuesday, 25 October.

Prices for the various areas in the stadium have been announced and are:

West Lower: R250.00
West Upper: R200.00
East Lower: R200.00
East Upper: R175.00
East Upper Corners: R100.00
North Lower: R150.00
South Lower: R150.00
North Upper: R100.00
Scholars behind the poles (North and South Lower): R50.00*

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Maybe I've missed past posts on the topic, or maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this in, but can you tell me about these WP Smith brothers. Why are they coming (back?) to Canberra and are they any good.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Ellispark a sold out for the final. after going on sale on monday.
Lionsrugby

That is great for SA rugby in general. Would love to see them get up and take that momentum into Super Rugby. With the Bokke needing a bit of rebuilding you must be loving so many young players stepping up and cashing in on the opportunties they are getting.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That is great for SA rugby in general. Would love to see them get up and take that momentum into Super Rugby. With the Bokke needing a bit of rebuilding you must be loving so many young players stepping up and cashing in on the opportunties they are getting.

yep 65,000 at Ellispark and we have our own WC final like back in 1995, sorry 1987.

One lesson learned from this years S15 season towards the end was player depth. Pretty sure this years CC have brought through a few Lambies for the future.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe I've missed past posts on the topic, or maybe this is the wrong thread to ask this in, but can you tell me about these WP Smith brothers. Why are they coming (back?) to Canberra and are they any good.

I know them since their prymary school days. Unfortanetly havent spoked to them while they were here but got the rumours that they'll go to the Brumbies. Also havent saw them playing the few games here, so have no idea in what form they are at the moment.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
yep 65,000 at Ellispark and we have our own WC final like back in 1995, sorry 1987.

One lesson learned from this years S15 season towards the end was player depth. Pretty sure this years CC have brought through a few Lambies for the future.

I don't know either player well but Toute looks more dangerous than Lambe.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've done my analysis, Lions to get up through Jantjies superior goal kicking in a tight affair.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yep and he sure is versatile. May end up playing 13 and preferred position is 10.

Actually now that you say that Paarl.

We only got the semi finals on TV yesterday so I watched this game last night and thought to myself that Taute runs like a 13.

Lions backs looked damn good.

The Sharks Cheetahs semi was a shocker. That Sharks backline sucks. A lot. If they don't get some decent midfielders they will never win the Super Title.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA Rugby Preview
Absa Currie Cup Preview – The Final
The MTN Golden Lions will be aiming for their first outright Absa Currie Cup Final victory on home soil since 1950 when they host The Sharks at Coca-Cola Park in Johannesburg on Saturday at 17:30.
It seems amazing, but the last time the Golden Lions won an Absa Currie Cup Final at their home ground, was 61 years ago, when they were still called Transvaal and they beat Western Province by 22-11.

Since then the Johannesburg-based union have won finals in Wellington (beat Boland by 11-9 in 1952), Springs (beat the Valke by 25-19), Durban (beat The Sharks by 21-15 in 1993 and by 32-9 in 1999) and Bloemfontein (beat Free State by 56-33 in 1994).

In 1971 they drew with northern neighbours, the Blue Bulls, at Ellis Park (14-14), while the Golden Lions have lost home finals in 1987 (24-18 to the Blue Bulls), 1992 (14-13 to The Sharks), 1996 (33-15 to The Sharks) and 2002 (31-7 to the Blue Bulls).

Compared to the MTN Golden Lions’ recent performances in the Absa Currie Cup, The Sharks have a better record when it comes to lifting the trophy. In 2008 and 2010 they won the Final, on both occasions in Durban (beat the Vodacom Blue Bulls by 14-9 in 2008 and beat DHL WP by 30-10 last year).

There is one interesting similarity with the last time the team from KwaZulu-Natal managed to win back-to-back titles, in the mid-1990s.

In 1995, The Sharks beat DHL WP in the Final at Mr Price Kings Park (25-17) and the next year, in 1996, they travelled up to Johannesburg where they beat the MTN Golden Lions by 33-15.

Interestingly enough, in four previous Absa Currie Cup Finals between these two sides, the hosts have lost every single time.

They said it:

John Mitchell (coach of the MTN Golden Lions): “The set piece accuracy and your ability to create pressure in that area are crucial. The game hasn’t changed at all and you had an example of that over the weekend in the World Cup final. The Sharks are a very good side and very good forward pack with a heap of test players.

“But we are just focusing on our own performance and clearly we have total confidence in our forward pack and team. Right at this moment you don't change a lot. All our work is done, so we we've just focused on being more accurate and bringing some of the attitude that is important at this time of the year.”

Keegan Daniel (captain of The Sharks): “A lot of us have played in finals while many Lions players have not, but then you could reverse that and say they have been together all year and we’ve had to bring in new guys.

“I don’t think that will make too much difference. We know what it is like to play in a final not having won it for so long and the hunger that we had that day and they will bring the same hunger, I’m sure. For us, it’s about physically fronting up on the day, no matter who plays. You can’t live on reputation because that’s going to get you nowhere, you have to play as a team.”

Head to Head: MTN Golden Lions v The Sharks (since 2005) 16/07/2005: MTN Golden Lions 16 The Sharks 22 - Durban
23/06/2006: MTN Golden Lions 22 The Sharks 33 - Durban
19/08/2006: MTN Golden Lions 22 The Sharks 21 - Johannesburg
30/06/2007: MTN Golden Lions 14 The Sharks 7 - Johannesburg
01/09/2007: MTN Golden Lions 3 The Sharks 21 - Durban
13/10/2007: MTN Golden Lions 19 The Sharks 12 - Durban
26/07/2008: MTN Golden Lions 11 The Sharks 16 - Durban
27/09/2008: MTN Golden Lions 20 The Sharks 34 - Johannesburg
11/10/2008: MTN Golden Lions 14 The Sharks 29 - Durban
15/08/2009: MTN Golden Lions 19 The Sharks 30 - Johannesburg
03/10/2009: MTN Golden Lions 17 The Sharks 19 - Durban
07/08/2010: MTN Golden Lions 19 The Sharks 48 - Durban
25/09/2010: MTN Golden Lions 22 The Sharks 20 - Johannesburg
27/08/2011: MTN Golden Lions 28 The Sharks 19 - Johannesburg
15/10/2011: MTN Golden Lions 9 The Sharks 53 - Durban

Played 15 - MTN Golden Lions won 5 - The Sharks won 10 - Drawn 0

Head to Head in Absa Currie Cup Finals
1992: MTN Golden Lions 13 The Sharks 14 - Johannesburg
1993: MTN Golden Lions 21 The Sharks 15 - Durban
1996: MTN Golden Lions 15 The Sharks 33 - Johannesburg
1999: MTN Golden Lions 32 The Sharks 9 - Durban

Played 4 - MTN Golden Lions won 2 - The Sharks won 2 - Drawn 0

Teams:

The MTN Golden Lions have named an unchanged match 22 from the team that beat DHL Western Province in their semi-final last week. The only possible change is on the bench, where Jacobie Adriaanse has been bracketed with JC Janse van Rensburg as reserve prop.

The Sharks’ starting 15 is also unchanged from last weekend, when they beat the Toyota Free State Cheetahs in the first semi-final. On the bench, Alistair Hargreaves comes in for veteran loose forward Jacques Botes.

MTN Golden Lions: 15 Jaco Taute, 14 Deon van Rensburg, 13 Doppies la Grange, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 Michael Killian, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Michael Bondesio, 8 Joshua Strauss (captain), 7. Michael Rhodes, 6. Derick Minnie, 5 Franco van der Merwe, 4 Wikus van Heerden, 3 Patric Cilliers, 2 Bandise Maku, 1 CJ van der Linde. Replacements: 16 Martin Bezuidenhout, 17 Jacobie Adriaanse/JC Janse van Rensburg, 18 Warren Whiteley, 6 Cobus Grobbelaar, 20 Butch James, 21 Dylan Des Fountain, 22 James Kamana.

The Sharks: 15 Patrick Lambie, 14 Odwa Ndungane, 13 Stefan Terblanche, 12 Marius Joubert, 11 JP Pietersen, 10 Frederic Michalak, 9 Conrad Hoffmann, 8 Ryan Kankowski, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Keegan Daniel (captain), 5 Ross Skeate, 4 Jean Deysel, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira. Replacements: 16 Craig Burden, 17 Eugene van Staden, 18 Alistair Hargreaves, 19 Marcell Coetzee, 20 Ross Cronje, 21 Adrian Jacobs, 22 Lwazi Mvovo.

Age Group Rugby

The Blue Bulls’ Under-19 and Under-21 teams have progressed to their respective finals in the Absa Under-19 and Absa Under-21 A-Divisions.

At 12:30 on Saturday the U19s will battle it out with the hosts, the Golden Lions, while the Sharks U21s are the Bulls’ opponents in the second final on Saturday, at 14:30.

Teams – Golden Lions U19 vs Blue Bulls U19

Golden Lions U19: 15 Marais Schmidt, 14 Tiaan Putter, 13 Jaco Viljoen, 12 JP du Plessis, 11 Errol Jaggers, 10 Duncan Campbell, 9 Vian van der Watt, 8 Ruaan Lerm, 7 Stephan de Wit, 6 Stephan Nel, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Pieter Stemmet, 2 Mark Pretorius (captain), 1 Henri Boshoff. Replacements: 16 Rikus van Niekerk, 17 Gideon Muller, 18 Johan Rautenbach, 19 Paul Willemse, 20 Fabian Booysen, 21 Louis Nel, 22 Ruan Barnard, 23 Luqmaan Ismail.

Blue Bulls U19: 15 Juan Nel, 14 Richard Dean Gorrah, 13 William Small-Smith (captain), 12 Christopher Bosch, 11 Travis Ismaiel, 10 Tony Jantjies, 9 Rudi van Rooyen, 8 Nardus van der Walt, 7 Wiaan Liebenberg, 6 Shaun Adendorff, 5 Marvin Orrie, 4 Schalk van Heerden, 3 Hencus van Wyk, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Du Toit Genis. Replacements: 16 Jason Thomas, 17 Christoph Gouws, 18 Herman Groenwald, 19 Cloete Wessels, 20 Abrie Griesel, 21 Andile Jho, 22 Stefan Willemse, 23 Nico van Vuuren.

Teams – Blue Bulls U21 vs Sharks U21

Blue Bulls U21: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Sampie Mastriet, 13 Ulrich Beyers, 12 Francois Venter, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Louis Fouché, 9 Lohan Jacobs, 8 CJ Stander, 7 Jono Ross (captain), 6 Arno Botha, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Gerno Eksteen, 3 Gerhard Engelbrecht, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 Juan Schoeman. Replacements: 16 Jacques Momberg, 17 Basil Short, 18 JJ Breet, 19 Dalton Davis,20 Xander Redelinghuys, 21 Willie du Plessis, 22 Adri Jacobs.

Sharks U21: 15 Gouws Prinsloo, 14 Jaco van Tonder, 13 Piet Lindeque, 12 Heimar Williams, 11 Sbura Sithole, 10 Paul Jordaan, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Lubabalo Mtembu, 7 Brynard Stander, 6 Siseko Jafta, 5 Peet Marais, 4 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3 Nick Schonert, 2 Monde Hadebe (captain), 1 Danie Mienie. Replacements: 16 Shaun Malton, 17 Njabulo Mkize, 18 Mike Williams, 19 Chris Cloete, 20 Francois Kleinhans, 21 Fred Zeilinga, 22 Jared Meyer.

Finals Match Officials

Absa Currie Cup – MTN Golden Lions vs The Sharks
Referee: Mark Lawrence
Reserve referee: Marius Jonker
Assistant referees: Stefan Breytenbach and Christi du Preez
Television match official: Johann Meuwesen

Absa Under-21 – Blue Bulls vs Sharks
Referee: Quinton Immelman
Assistant referees: Rasta Rasivhenge and Cobus Wessels
Television match official: Gerrie Coetzee

Under-19 – Golden Lions vs Blue Bulls
Referee: Rasta Rasivhenge
Assistant referees: Tiaan Jonker and Reuben Rossouw
Television match official: JC Fortuin

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Lions looking pretty good. 19-6 at half time. Sharks not getting any value when in the lions 22.

Sent using Tapatalk

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Watched the Lions in the Semi and Final (in parts) - loved their attitude. Are they on PCP, Qat or what?

Got to see I really enjoyed watching those saffas knocking 7 bells out of each other - they certainly don't hold back

Good to see John Mitchell finally win something as well!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is Jantjies a better kicker than Steyn thesedays? I think so.

So depressing seeing another Saffer kicker like that, why the fuck is place kicking not taken seriously here in Aus.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well done to the Lions. It would've taken a brave man to back them to win by so much after the Sharks smashed them a couple of weekends ago.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fark me. Lions belted the Sharks. Who would have thought?

Taute, Hollenbach, Jantjes, Killian, Minnie, Rhodes

These guys can play.

Whereto from here for the Sharks? They have played the same basic gameplan for about 50 years now. Bash, bash, bash. Game of attrition. Wear the defense down. It has failed year after year in Super Rugby.

I don't rate Plumtree as a coach because he hasn't fixed the midfield for years now and has persisted with old, one dimensional players playing the same old predictable rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.