• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Cycling

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Padded shorts are the go. The bike I am borrowing has probably the hardest seat in the history of humanity, so the padded shorts have made a huge difference.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
anyone else see/hear much about the world track cycling champs that were just on?

So good to see Australia dominate. And even sweeter reading the UK newspaper reports about the event.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
More seriously, the Tour of Flanders is this weekend with Paris Roubaix the following weekend. Cancellara is a special for both, and Boonen is hitting some form too.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Mate of mine is doing the Flanders route - obviously not as a pro - and reckons it's 12 hours in the saddle

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Flanders is what - about 260kms? With nasty cobbled sections and short, sharp climbs. The pros will probably take about 7 hours, I reckon, and spend plenty of that hiding in the peloton, so 12 hours is not bad.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Paris Roubaix on tonight for any interested. Some coverage starts on eurosport channel 511 at 8:30 pm and is due to finish about 20 to 1 in the morning. Free to air coverage starts at 10:20pm on SBS.

It is about 260 kms long and dead flat but known for over 50 km of cobbles littered through he course. The very hard sections of cobes makes it one of the hardest one day races in the world.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'll be watching a bit - can't do the whole thing as I have to get up early to go to a US Masters breakfast (6.30 am) then golf game at. 'Tis a hard life, I know. The Hell of the North is a great spectacle.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Indeed it is. I've been watching Paris - Roubaix for as long as the TdF, around 20 years now. Bone rattling doesn't begin to do it justice.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Wasn't a bad race at all in the end. Van Summeren from the break away held off after Cancellara (pre-race favourite, with Tom Boonen) refused to tow Ballan and Hushovd (two of the other pre-race favourites) up to the breakaway, from which one of those three would've been the likely winner.

It sounds fair enough that Cancellara refused to tow them up to the breakaway, until you remember that cycling is a team sport, and that both Ballan and Hushovd had team mates in the breakaway and one of the unwritten laws is that you don't chase down your own team mate who is in a break up the road (unless you're on your own and not towing people with you), especially if that man you're bringing up is Cancellara. So Cancellara was understandable in his refusal to tow them up, and Ballan and Hushovd were even more justified in not working.

In the end Cancellara waited too late to attack (after previously attacking so hard he ran into a motobike carrying a camera man!) and couldn't catch Van Summeren, who held on for a gutsy win (and in a damn fast time too). Cancellara had to settle for second after catching the remaining breakaway ground and out sprinting them, and Ballan couldn't go with Cancellara and had to settle for 6th. Hushovd, team mate of the winner Van Summeren, lost the sprint for 7th just behind and finished 8th.

The real reason that Cancellara lost was because his team was weak. Had he gone to BMC instead of Leopard-Trek (who are all about building a GT winning team for the Schleck brothers) you'd think he would've won all three monuments so far this year: Milan San Remo, Ronde van Vlandren, and Paris Roubaix. Instead Cancellara has a 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd respectively, and BMC have had a 4th, 6th and 6th - a disappointing result for both.

One of the other pre-race favourites Boonen had bike issues in Arenberg forrest, and was stranded without team mates - after an epic ride nearly catch the peloton, the rider in front of him crashed and his day way done.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Wasn't a bad race at all in the end. Van Summeren from the break away held off after Cancellara (pre-race favourite, with Tom Boonen) refused to tow Ballan and Hushovd (two of the other pre-race favourites) up to the breakaway, from which one of those three would've been the likely winner.

It sounds fair enough that Cancellara refused to tow them up to the breakaway, until you remember that cycling is a team sport, and that both Ballan and Hushovd had team mates in the breakaway and one of the unwritten laws is that you don't chase down your own team mate who is in a break up the road (unless you're on your own and not towing people with you), especially if that man you're bringing up is Cancellara. So Cancellara was understandable in his refusal to tow them up, and Ballan and Hushovd were even more justified in not working.

In the end Cancellara waited too late to attack (after previously attacking so hard he ran into a motobike carrying a camera man!) and couldn't catch Van Summeren, who held on for a gutsy win (and in a damn fast time too). Cancellara had to settle for second after catching the remaining breakaway ground and out sprinting them, and Ballan couldn't go with Cancellara and had to settle for 6th. Hushovd, team mate of the winner Van Summeren, lost the sprint for 7th just behind and finished 8th.

The real reason that Cancellara lost was because his team was weak. Had he gone to BMC instead of Leopard-Trek (who are all about building a GT winning team for the Schleck brothers) you'd think he would've won all three monuments so far this year: Milan San Remo, Ronde van Vlandren, and Paris Roubaix. Instead Cancellara has a 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd respectively, and BMC have had a 4th, 6th and 6th - a disappointing result for both.

One of the other pre-race favourites Boonen had bike issues in Arenberg forrest, and was stranded without team mates - after an epic ride nearly catch the peloton, the rider in front of him crashed and his day way done.

I don't think it was the weakness of Cancellara's team that was the problem. He isn't that kind of rider who uses team protection, and even if he'd had teammates in the group ahead, they'd not have been able to do anything. He was simply marked out of the race. Neither Cervelo nor BMC rode good races, and it was luck more than tactics that had Van Summeren in the right position at the end of the race (not to take anything away from Van Summeren's individual victory, which I thought was absolutely awesome). It's clear that a number of teams have been entirely focused on countering Cancellara to the detriment of their own results this season.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Has anyone ever owned a Cervello? Particularly any of the P Series? Im upgrading at the end of the year and have my eye on a P2 or P3