• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dan Vickerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Every Wallaby deserves accolades for their performance last night, and most have already received it, but one person who I haven't yet seen receive much of a rap is Dan Vickerman.

Wallabies have consistently been losing games over the last few years due to the lack of mongrel in our tight 5. Vickerman last night was an animal and exactly what we've been missing. I thought I was watching Bakkies Botha the second after the way he flew into the rucks (legally, might I add). In 10 mins he basically took out the whole All Blacks starting back row. If that doesn't deserve a thumbs up, I don't know what does! :thumb

If TPN gets back fit, we may finally have a genuinely aggressive pack. TPN, Horwill, Vickerman, Elsom, Samo!! Just what we need in case we meet the poms/blacks again at the RWC.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dan is the man.

I remember watching him for Northampton vs Saracens at the start of the year - when plenty were saying he was no chance for us. He was a bit rusty but even in that game you could see how hard he was hitting the rucks. Everything starts from having that.

The pack is hardening up now which is exactly what we need.

W

What2040

terrific performance - tight 5 hardening up - good to have 2 mongrel locks

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
McCabe injured McCaw off the back of the line out. Thompson busted his gun trying to bring down Cooper in the lead up to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s near-try. Read got caught in the bottom of the ruck (Vicks was one of the men cleaning out).

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
McCabe injured McCaw off the back of the line out. Thompson busted his gun trying to bring down Cooper in the lead up to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s near-try. Read got caught in the bottom of the ruck (Vicks was one of the men cleaning out).

In the mould of the great *coughcough* Greg Growden, why let the facts get in the way of a good story?? :p

(... but fair point. Doesn't take away from the fact that Vicks was smashing the rucks all night tho. More, I say, more!)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Many doubted Deans decision to replace Sharpie with Vicks for this test. It was a great call.
Welcome back Dan Vickerman!
Sharpe still has a part to play, but doubt he will start against the likes of NZ or England if all locks are fit.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Dans cleaning out is second to none. He literally flies into some of those rucks It Is brilliant to watch. Aus now has depth in It's locks, when you have a man of Nathan Sharpes calibre sitting outside the 22...

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
No doubt he did well but our lineouts paid the price. If he stays then they need more work to strengthen our lineouts.
Funny thing - we discussed the No:8's and who was strong in that position.
Last good number 8's were Willie O then Kefu, now Samo.
Turned on the ABC and they were talking about the same thing! Trouble is - time is not on his side.

N

Newter

No doubt he did well but our lineouts paid the price. If he stays then they need more work to strengthen our lineouts.
Funny thing - we discussed the No:8's and who was strong in that position.
Last good number 8's were Willie O then Kefu, now Samo.
Turned on the ABC and they were talking about the same thing! Trouble is - time is not on his side.

Ita Vaea would be the long term option. Some of his carries for the Brumbies this year were outstanding.

Samo fits the same category of other great short-term No 8s who bloomed late in their career, like his forwards coach Jim Williams.

N

Newter

Dans cleaning out is second to none. He literally flies into some of those rucks It Is brilliant to watch. Aus now has depth in It's locks, when you have a man of Nathan Sharpes calibre sitting outside the 22...

Vickerman is the real thing. He learned how to play like this at the Waratahs and his time out of the game will only add years to his career.

Would love to see his dominant tackle rate from this game. He seemed to be getting in the leg drive and drilling people every time.

Z

Zeno

Robbie Deans was determined to have Vickerman in his first 22, regardless of fitness and form—and Vicks has proved him right with one Test. I'm hoping Robbie's horn for Horne bears out the same way.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As much as it wad great to see Vickerman add some grunt to the breakdown, the lineout simply wasn't up to scratch.

Last week against a superior Bok lineout it was solid and we were pinching their throws.

Last night they looked like amateurs bumping into each other and we didnt once attack the ABs on their own wonky throws.

Shape has to be in the 22, and Vickerman needs to up his game or else we are going to get boned at the RWC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As much as it wad great to see Vickerman add some grunt to the breakdown, the lineout simply wasn't up to scratch.

Last week against a superior Bok lineout it was solid and we were pinching their throws.

Last night they looked like amateurs bumping into each other and we didnt once attack the ABs on their own wonky throws.

Shape has to be in the 22, and Vickerman needs to up his game or else we are going to get boned at the RWC.
I think the lineout problems were combination related rather than ability / performance. That should get better in a few weeks prior to RWC.
That would work for me - Sharpe in the 22, Simmons out. Simmons has struggled at Test level a bit, and the other 3 are going well. I still think Sharpe / Horwill is the better starting pair, Vickerman to come on later. Elsom, Samo, Higgers (later) all good lineout options too.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Managing the lineout was one if Vickerman'a best assets before he left so hopefully he can improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.