• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Deans pushing for domestic comp in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Stuff the other provinces and fark the ARU... why don't the Tahs approach the NPC and make moves to field a team in it?

We're close enough to make it workable without the massive expense of trying to include Perth etc. Direct flights to Sydney from Christchurch, Dunedin and Auckland ease the logistical complications, and we've also got a strong enough team to be competitive.

It'd revitalise the NPC, bringing in an old foe with much history between the kiwi provinces. It'd bring new money into a struggling NPC and it would give the kiwi's a chance to have a few days in Sydney during their harsh winter.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Because the Kiwis will not accept it, and the ARU would likely veto it (and has the power and control to). I have my doubts that one Aus team would "revitalise" the comp much, either.

To guage a reaction, suggest it on TSF and watch the reaction. Don't think it'd be pleasant.

Read a suggestion about having a "Heineken (sp?) Cup" between Aus club teams and Kiwi NPC teams. I think that the strongest Kiwi NPC teams are better than Aus club teams - could be nasty.

Digression - anyone seen much of how James Hanson is going for NH? Saw the end of the game last week against Wellington, thought he looked OK and was up to the level. Seems to have bulked up a bit. Was disappointed in his workrate - thought it could've been higher.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Moses said:
Stuff the other provinces and fark the ARU... why don't the Tahs approach the NPC and make moves to field a team in it?

... because it would put them way offside with the unholy trinity from Sydney\s eastern suburbs who fought so valiantly to whiteant the original ARC.

I think the original ARC had most of it right with teams, just some locations (, pricing and marketing - what good is a comp if no one knows about it?) needed tweaking. As others have stated Western Weekender at St Marys for the Rams and Concorde (I love watching rugby at this venue) or Redfern for the Fleet. Maybe if they put on a monthly pie buffet for Growden they could get sdome NRL type write-ups in the SMH (you know the type - every game was sensational wuth wall to wall moments of individual brilliance - greatest game of all crap). Maybe the Rays can be based at Brookvale Oval.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i loved the ARC but i feel like were all looking back on it with a fondness here.
were rugby fans so we see something in it that the general public doesnt.
for the comp to work on any level it needs a television product and the ARU ended up paying abc to broadcast it. on abc 2 no less so alot of people couldnt see it anyway.

then on top of this, all the talk of local grounds and such is fine and its good cost cutting, but the financial sense of playing at a ground like that is you wont get the casual fans which are the ones you need to attract in order to turn a profit or at least break even. most of the sporting public are conditioned to have a big screen for replays, clean toilets and decent bar service. these wont be available at most local grounds and as such will mean it will end up being the same number of hardened locals that go to watch club rugby anyway.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
"It would also end this ridiculous folly being pushed by the lunatic fringe for the return of the Australian Rugby Championship. Will someone tell this misguided faction that from 2011 the expanded Super season will go from March to August, with the Tri Nations to follow. When do they want to play it? Christmas Day?"

grumbles
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...-not-win/2009/10/20/1255891816800.html?page=2

grumbles doesnt sound to keen on it. i think if you look at the calender, the best thing might be a aus a, kiwi a, saffa a tri nations played while the real teams are in europe or close to.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Grumbles is retarded. The ARC season would largely coincide with the international season. The Wallabies are out the picture, so the teams are 50% S14 players and 50% club players.

It hurts my brain just to type something so skull-fuckingly obvious.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Cutter said:
A small point, but Rat Park is a horrible place to watch rugby. It has no soul. Only to the godless; not to the faithful. It's a wonderful place to watch rugby - come to a local derby against Manly sometime and enjoy. Watch the kids on any weekend taking their footies on the park kicking goals over the goal posts and even at half time in the main game. No soul? My arse.

Manly oval, although not a pure rugby ground, is a much nicer place to watch a game and is more likely to draw in passers by. It's a cricket ground that is used for rugby and like most cricket grounds used for rugby, eg Uni Oval and North Sydney Oval, the spectator is a long way from the action. Not for nothing is it known locally as "The Village Green". Also like those other cricket grounds good rugby is impossible on the cricket square after heavy rain and one sees the losing team trying to attack but only being able to use that part of the ground nearest to the two touch lines - and the team in front trying to kill the game up the middle.

As for any ARC Mark 2: until it can generate enough money to cover costs it is like pissing in the wind talking about it.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
True Lee. But it can't possibly make any money unless we all talk about it. If you follow me.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lee, with the Sheffield Shield model it doesn't have to cover cost, just not leak too much.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scotty said:
Lee, with the Sheffield Shield model it doesn't have to cover cost, just not leak too much.

Australian cricket has a little (shall we say :)) more cash available than has Australian rugby.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lee Grant said:
Cutter said:
A small point, but Rat Park is a horrible place to watch rugby. It has no soul. Only to the godless; not to the faithful. It's a wonderful place to watch rugby - come to a local derby against Manly sometime and enjoy. Watch the kids on any weekend taking their footies on the park kicking goals over the goal posts and even at half time in the main game. No soul? My arse.

Manly oval, although not a pure rugby ground, is a much nicer place to watch a game and is more likely to draw in passers by. It's a cricket ground that is used for rugby and like most cricket grounds used for rugby, eg Uni Oval and North Sydney Oval, the spectator is a long way from the action. Not for nothing is it known locally as "The Village Green". Also like those other cricket grounds good rugby is impossible on the cricket square after heavy rain and one sees the losing team trying to attack but only being able to use that part of the ground nearest to the two touch lines - and the team in front trying to kill the game up the middle.

Lee I have a smattering of experience at Manly v the filthy Rats games. I have never liked playing or watching rugby at Rat Park. Its in the middle of nowhere and, notwithstanding that its built for rugby, isnt conducive to non-rugby types dropping in to see what's happening. That is why Manly oval is a better option. I've been there when the spectators have been spilling from the ground, sitting in trees, hanging on the fence, watching from flats and the Rugby Club.

The cricket pitch is part of the game. How else could a slowish no. 8 catch a runaway winger than by herding him onto the boggy cricket pitch and running on the firm ground on the outside?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Biffo

Exactly so - national cricket revenues, especially TV revenues, can finance unprofitable competitions that develop players, but national rugby revenues don't compare with cricket revenues.

Cutter said:
I have never liked playing or watching rugby at Rat Park. Its in the middle of nowhere

Wrong, it's only a few blocks from where I live.

But you hate it and it takes all types - and you love Manly Oval with its mud right in the middle of the ground in the middle of winter. And if I write any more you will say you like the pies better at Manly Oval and talk about the wonderful parking there.

Different strokes. I've moved on.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
See, you cant even get your own provincial competition going but you want the 15th team. :nta:

That's not relevant to getting a 5th team.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:
See, you cant even get your own provincial competition going but you want the 15th team. :nta:

Thats exactly where the Kings started their champagn. The Argies is on their way to do the same, playing in SA provincial Vodacom competition.

S

Spook

PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

Thats exactly where the Kings started their champagn. The Argies is on their way to do the same, playing in SA provincial Vodacom competition.

I don't think it's relevant PB because the biggest thing stopping an Aussie domestic comp is money. This won't be an issue for Melbourne. They have quite a few sponsors knocking down their doors by all accounts and they get decent crowds for their matches IMO.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
waratahjesus said:
"It would also end this ridiculous folly being pushed by the lunatic fringe for the return of the Australian Rugby Championship. Will someone tell this misguided faction that from 2011 the expanded Super season will go from March to August, with the Tri Nations to follow. When do they want to play it? Christmas Day?"

grumbles
http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...-not-win/2009/10/20/1255891816800.html?page=2

grumbles doesnt sound to keen on it. i think if you look at the calender, the best thing might be a aus a, kiwi a, saffa a tri nations played while the real teams are in europe or close to.

Grumbles is in bed with Easts, Randwick and Sydney Uni who dont want another ARC.

Lee, it does take different types but sometimes the different types need to agree eg SANZAR. I think our difference of opinion is purely tribal which is good. Brookvale might be a satisfactory compromise as it offers the best of both worlds, has a good surface and good facilities.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

We have a red hot favourite for the next Robbie award :thumb

S

Spook

Biffo said:
PaarlBok said:
Spook said:
PaarlBok said:

We have a red hot favourite for the next Robbie award :thumb

Was it the champagne?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:

"Want" - that is a key word and is not the same as "deserve". There is nothing wrong in wanting.

I'd take the provincial comp as we had for one year in 2007 any day of the week over the 5th Oz Super team. But the ARC lost money in 2007 and we even had to pay TV to have 2 games a week broadcast. If we had an ARC, 4 Super teams would be enough and our standard would be higher, just as the SAfrican Super teams are of a higher standard for having a Currie Cup comp and not having to take unproven players directly out of local club rugby.

So; we want the 5th Oz Super team and the 20 domestic Super games a year that will come with the conference system, because we don't have an ARC. We want it even though it will reduce our chances of winning the Super competition, not that they are ever very high.

That's what we want, and why - or more correctly, because not everybody is for the 5th Oz team - that's what Oz rugby fans who want a 5th team want and why they want it.

Do we think we deserve it? Hell, no.

Are we going to take it if we are offered it? Hell, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.