• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Deans pushing for domestic comp in Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
PB, you talk about how strong the Kings team will be but when they played the Lions, they loaded the side with European-based mercenaries. :nta:

PB, Spook has a good point there.

However, a better question is how are the Kings (or equivalent from Port Elizabeth) doing in the Currie Cup?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
Spook said:
PB, you talk about how strong the Kings team will be but when they played the Lions, they loaded the side with European-based mercenaries. :nta:

However, a better question is how are the Kings (or equivalent from Port Elizabeth) doing in the Currie Cup?
The Kings is suppose to be EP (4th), SWD (2nd) and Border provinces. It dont work like that in SA. If they are the 6th franchise, the top players from all the small unions will play for them.

Like I explain previously , my test for their strength was the Royals team (Griquas & Leopards) and Kings matches against the BIL. The Kings team had a few mercenaries and a few of them stayed for the CC, like De Wet Barry. The Royals was pure small province players. Now add the others like Boland, Pumas, SWD, exct and you'll get the picture.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
Spook said:

The Kings is suppose to be EP (4th), SWD (2nd) and Border provinces. It dont work like that in SA. If they are the 6th franchise, the top players from all the small unions will play for them.

Like I explain previously , my test for their strength was the Royals team (Griquas & Leopards) and Kings matches against the BIL. The Kings team had a few mercenaries and a few of them stayed for the CC, like De Wet Barry. The Royals was pure small province players. Now add the others like Boland, Pumas, SWD, exct and you'll get the picture.

Sorry, Mate, I don't quite understand your reply.

The question is very simple: how are the Kings (or PE equivalent) doing in the Currie Cup?

Could you please try to give me an answer as simple as the question?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Biff, the relationship between CC teams (in various divisions) and S14 teams is complicated. Sometimes a simple question has a complicated answer. Why don't you google it?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Google wont help Biff, I'll give it my best shot and start all over again. You have to look at it from a rugby player career point of view in SA. U19, U21, Vodacom, CC, S14, Springbok.

Area wise the Stormers is suppose to be Boland & WP, Sharks is Sharks, Bulls are Blue Bulls,& Pumas, Lions are Golden Lions , Leopards & Falcons, Cheetahs is Cheetahs & Griquas.

Practically it dont work like that because you S14 franchise receive more money and they will draw the top players.

The next level of players will be in the smaller brother province. Meaning that if the Kings get the nod, all the top players that dont have a S14 contract will move there to earn a better living.

In NZ you have a total different setup where your top 120 players have central contracts and is spread over their NPC provinces.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
OK, let's try again.

1. What is the now the top team within the catchment of the proposed Kings?
2. In which tier of RSA rugby does that team play?
3. How is that team doing in its competition?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
OK, let's try again.

The Kings catchment area is the CC provinces of EP, Border and SWD. All three playing at the moment in the first division CC rugby. SWD end 2nd and EP 4th. SWD will play their promotion/ relegation match on the weekend for top division CC.

As soon as the Kings know they got the go ahead they'll sign up all the the top players not contracted to the other S14 franchises and may even poach a few top ones from the other franchises. As soon as the CC finish next weekend there is three months open for provinces to sign players that come out of contracts. All the S14 franchises have player budgets to buy players.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Biffo said:
OK, let's try again.

The Kings catchment area is the CC provinces of EP, Border and SWD. All three playing at the moment in the first division CC rugby. SWD end 2nd and EP 4th. SWD will play their promotion/ relegation match on the weekend for top division CC.

As soon as the Kings know they got the go ahead they'll sign up all the the top players not contracted to the other S14 franchises and may even poach a few top ones from the other franchises. As soon as the CC finish next weekend there is three months open for provinces to sign players that come out of contracts. All the S14 franchises have player budgets to buy players.
The first division of the Currie Cup is well named, as it is in fact the second highest division after the premier division.
SWD finished regular season 2nd, the other teams came 4th and 5th, that is to say there is one team worse than them in the top two divisions of the CC.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Moses said:
The first division of the Currie Cup is well named, as it is in fact the second highest division after the premier division.
SWD finished regular season 2nd, the other teams came 4th and 5th, that is to say there is one team worse than them in the top two divisions of the CC.
Well at least there is a provincial competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.