• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

T

TOCC

Nothing has changed. The SS was reduced from 22 to 18 rounds to assist in the introduction of the NRC. This tends to disprove the view held by some on these thread that SS clubs are trying to sabotage rugby in Australia. There is no proposal that I have heard of to finish the SS later than it is going to finish this year. It won't happen.

This is a incorrect, Sydney Rugby Union announced that the Shute Shield would reduce from 22 Rounds to 16 Rounds in December 2011(SRU decision), 2 years before the NRC was announced and almost 3 years before the first NRC game was ever played. In the inaugural NRC season(2014) the only change to the SS was that the finals series was shortened from 4 weeks to 3 weeks.

2002 - 2007 Shute Shield/Tooheys New Cup
2007 - 2011 22 Rounds
2012 16 Rounds(Split season)
2013 18 Rounds(4 week finals)
2014 18 Rounds(3 week finals)*NRC Introduced
2015 18 Rounds(3 week finals)

Interestingly, 2011 marked the season in which the reformed Sydney Rugby Union took control of Shute Shield, grade and colts competitions. Reforming the SRU was supported by the clubs because they disliked the way in which the NSWRU had been running the competition and wanted to take control again. So it interests me that in their first year in the charge they decide to drastically reduce the season.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
This is a incorrect, Sydney Rugby Union announced that the Shute Shield would reduce from 22 Rounds to 16 Rounds in December 2011(SRU decision), 2 years before the NRC was announced and almost 3 years before the first NRC game was ever played. In the inaugural NRC season(2014) the only change to the SS was that the finals series was shortened from 4 weeks to 3 weeks.

2007 - 2011 22 Rounds

Interestingly, 2011 marked the season in which the reformed Sydney Rugby Union took control of Shute Shield, grade and colts competitions. Reforming the SRU was supported by the clubs because they disliked the way in which the NSWRU had been running the competition and wanted to take control again. So it interests me that in their first year in the charge they decide to drastically reduce the season.

I recall something changed to the SS because of the NRC - I cant remember what through?

I can't ever remember club rugby finishing mid July, I'll say again it is wrong and in know why does it develop / grow rugby.

Rugby has one round left of club or soup.
Rugby league has 8 rounds left of club.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I recall something changed to the SS because of the NRC - I cant remember what through?

I can't ever remember club rugby finishing mid July, I'll say again it is wrong and in know why does it develop / grow rugby.

Yes, but then we hqve 9-10 weeks of NRC and 6 Tests in that same timeframe. Then of course the Spring tour. From next year we'll have the Womens 7s Circuit and the Mens in 2018 following the NRC. Rugby is hardly disappearing.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes, but then we hqve 9-10 weeks of NRC and 6 Tests in that same timeframe. Then of course the Spring tour. From next year we'll have the Womens 7s Circuit and the Mens in 2018 following the NRC. Rugby is hardly disappearing.
Lots of colts, and grade players don't get to play NRC or Test match rugby.
Could say mid July its disappeared for a far greater number than those who are still getting to play.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

2007 - 2011 22 Rounds

I'd be interested in a link to where this information came.

Assuming that you are correct, and I'll accept that you are, the timing of the season has certainly changed to help accomodate the NRC.

The 2013 grand final was on Saturday 14 September for example.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/rugby-union-shute-shield-finals-series/

The 2012 grand final was on Saturday 15 September.
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc1/201209/programs/SP1122H026D2012-09-18T033000.htm

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

No, but there's a large chunk of community level participants who have no game after this Saturday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm thinking they played round one because they wanted to play, and they are playing this weekend because they enjoy it.
Just guessing
Of course they enjoy it. That's the biggest reason people play sport.

It doesn't mean you want your season to run indefinitely.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No, but there's a large chunk of community level participants who have no game after this Saturday.

Fair enough. But then perhaps the clubs should look to setting up some kind of post season social competitions. I suggested 7s previously but Viva 7s could be used or 10s. Focus it toward participation. If the season isn't long enough for some then perhaps some initiative should be taken to fill the gaps.

T

TOCC

Yep like I mentioned, the finals was reduced from 4 weeks to 3, that was the only change to the length of the season which occurred.

As for the July comment, well the Shute Shield does start 2 weeks earlier then it did a few years ago, which isn't really relevant because we are discussing the quantity of rugby played and not the time of year it's played.

T

TOCC

Again il ask, if the SRU decided it was in their best interest to cut the season from 22 Rounds vack in 2011, then what were the reasons for this decision and what has changed since then? and don't say the NRC because it would be another 3 years before that came in.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Y
As for the July comment, well the Shute Shield does start 2 weeks earlier then it did a few years ago, which isn't really relevant because we are discussing the quantity of rugby played and not the time of year it's played.

No, the July finish is exactly what we are talking about.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Again il ask, if the SRU decided it was in their best interest to cut the season from 22 Rounds vack in 2011, then what were the reasons for this decision and what has changed since then? and don't say the NRC because it would be another 3 years before that came in.

You seem to have been to SRU records to find out, surely you know why the season was shortened?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think you are on the money half and talks of taking 15-20 years to develop is not the thinking required by top echelons.

To change the status quo you need a disruptive game changing strategy.

In other words adopt a leaf out of other sporting codes books. Cricket beyond test level was dying with shefield shield an extinct beast, and ODI's etc at state level equally flagging.

So what did they do - they introduced the big bash which been huge success.....which created new professional opportunities.

A-League equally thought outside the square.

We need some innovative game changing strategies/approach to change rugby's fortunes.

I don't have all the answers but what it does mean is:
1. Not just recruiting old school past rugby players to administration roles in senior positions in ARU etc. Need professional sports administrators who can think outside the square and about best talent - not finding jobs for retired rugby players.
2. Need better commercial partnerships with external partners
3. We need to accept that NZ is not the benchmark for judging our professional talent as they have greater depth and our competition for professional players to recruit is not NZ but other sports in Oz who compete for schoolboys on which sport to play and league clubs who compete for schoolboy rugby players because of more professional opportunities available by virtue of more league clubs than the 5 state based Super Rugby sides.
4. We have got to get the product right for wider appeal. Here lot of work being done which area of less criticism for me - NRC rule changes, 7's focus and growth, push for rule changes through IRB etc, focus more on attacking rugby by Super Rugby's sides as focus, all part of that.

In short it is a very tough gig for rugby to compete which is why they need innovative game changing strategies which change the rules to attract more rugby fans and attract the best rugby talent, administrators, coaches etc etc. I am not sure we have the innovative thinkers who can come up with these game changing innovative strategies that other codes or companies find as not an easy task to find....but we need to find those people who can do this. As lot to market behind this as a product which don't leverage enough.

Ps yes we need to develop a national domestic competition which having a short form national competition is good starting point as agree with other comments that this is way easier said than done now we have created a super rugby product that will be superior in quality of football but inferior commercially and for longer term growth of professional rugby through just relying on this alone.