• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ho Ho Ho

Tis Santa here, and I am going to grant three wishes.

So lets have some wishes Santa is capable of delivering.

Santa wants to know if anyone else has any wishes

1. Brumbies Super Rugby title
2. Further growth, support and media coverage for the NRC
3. The Shute Shield, Papworth, and all those miserable fluffybunnys to fuck off forever

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sad that some can only find hate in their hearts on Christmas Day.

Apologies........

e903ce25c54abdc2cbc406a52a377fe6.jpg

half

Alan Cameron (40)
On my old hobby horse pertaining to having a national domestic competition ..

While having seen the trouble FFA are having getting revenue it has not stopped them from expanding and planning.

She who must be obeyed[The wife for the poster who asks me to stop using nicknames] she sent me this which I am told is doing well in twitter-sphere and social media.

How I would love the ARU to be in a position to run or put out something like this. Its FFA launching a new logo and its easy to see its not aimed at the existing fans but engaging those not currently engaged. Its bragging and explaining they have three national leagues and soccer is uniting.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au...l-in-australia/iq5noyz15qf21mdji9v6d2hpg/2/12

T

TOCC

Australian Rugby as a whole can't even plan 3 tiers of competition without clashes, let alone uniting under the one giant banner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: dru

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Just registered one of my kids for the upcoming rugby season (<10yrs).
Fees per kid are:
ARU $12
NSWRU $28.25
SJRU: $0
Club: $180 (includes jersey)

Less than the other activities the kids do (dance, music lessons etc)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
My realisation more and more is the future for Australian Rugby is not being so dependant on Super Rugby for its professional teams as Super Rugby dying slow death. Short form European Heineken cup works IMO but just not sustained interest in longer form comp. playing sides from other countries not there for long form but is for short form competitions. Novelty factor worn off - people are parochial and want more local derbies. Why league in some ways more successful (and because rugby administrators can't move fast enough to realise emphasis on penalty goals as primary point scoring mechanism killing the game competing with other codes more and more).

So stupidity of thinking salvation is only having 4 professional rugby teams in Oz needs to change. But I doubt it will as lack confidence in having any real visionaries for Oz rugby. I also don't know if we can immediately move to professional domestic competition (preferred option) without more growth (which comes with generating more appealing product e.g rule changes which remove focus on penalty goals as primary means of scoring point) so maybe O"Neils suggestion of cross competition with say NZ and maybe a fijian side included and eventually Suns may be better short term answer. Grow the game then launch domestic competition. But don't kid yourself that launching and growing a successful domestic competition would not need changes in the product (rule changes/point scoring system in particular).

I worry for the future of rugby in this country if people think having only 4 professional sides will improve our prospects. We need more professional opportunities to encourage more talented athletes at younger ages to want to play rugby because they see those opportunities compared to the alternatives. I.e. at least in the same ballpark. Four professional rugby sides is not in the ballpark. R.I.P Oz Rugby. As may as well send out the burial party now if don't have realisation that we need major change. Anyone thinking Super Rugby can be the long term salvation is sadly mistaken IMO.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
One of the biggest roadblocks to improving SANZAAR from an Australian perspective is that the NZRU have consistently said that they want to play South African teams on a regular basis. Whether it's a Steve Tew thing or a NZRU thing, I don't know, but as long as NZ hold that view a trans-Tasman professional league won't happen.

The alternatives therefore are; stay in SANZAAR or go it alone.

T

TOCC

Just registered one of my kids for the upcoming rugby season (<10yrs).
Fees per kid are:
ARU $12
NSWRU $28.25
SJRU: $0
Club: $180 (includes jersey)

Less than the other activities the kids do (dance, music lessons etc)

My brother just paid similar costs for his kids in QLD, said it was still cheaper then soccer and league

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quick
This article concisely and acurately describes the position in which rugby in Australia finds itself. Alas, no solution provided - nor do I have the magic wand.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/uni...ys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170215_TND

Quick Hands it requires a talented business minded person and visionary to turn the ship as CEO of ARU. Probably don't pay enough for that gig so we get Bill! For money paid Bill probably does okay as lets face it in defence of Bill it is the shite work (or lack of) of his predecessors as to why we are in a bigger poo and at least Bill has tried to create change. For that Bill I am appreciative and maybe you could even do more...prove me wrong.

Super Rugby is dead in long form format and will take another decade to realise it. As a Heineken cup short form format it would work but that would mean Oz rugby needs to rethink and invest in a domestic professional rugby competition. Yes it is hard from a low base to do this but for survival and long term growth it is the only answer....so work towards it. But also would require some innovation in the product which part of the path the NRC has gone down. Whatever the model is, it needs to be a more appealing product for the modern day fan and their entertainment needs and the competition for their interest from alternatives. Read: forget penalties being main opportunities for scoring points as unlike soccer takes way longer and frankly less interesting (at least in soccer they have a wall).

If they don't get this at ARU level then whatever money they have should be ring fenced for paying for higher calbre CEO and visionary who is prepared to make major changes (and challenge Rugby Traditionalists) to create a more appealing and sustainable product that has wider consumer appeal (and challenge the status quo). And NO that is not being a dumb arse by reducing professional teams to 4 because we are part of a long term defunct Super Rugby Competition.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What do you expect a new CEO to do? Introduce a new product? Fiddling with the Laws of the game is one thing, but at the end of the day we have to select players who can compete at the higher levels of the official game, under the official Laws, because Internationals are our biggest cash cow.

Introduce a new competition? If the best rugby minds in the country cannot come up with anything better than we have got, then I am buggered if I can see some corporate high flyer doing any better. After all, we do have some pretty bright people involved in the game now, both paid and voluntary, including ex-players. If there is a magic bullet, I am pretty sure it would have been found, or invented, by now.

If we magically came into a nest egg of, say, a hundred million or so, we could afford to start from scratch and build a national competition. But any new competition, with new teams, would take a long time to become self-sustaining.

As has been said many times, for every difficult and complex problem, there is a solution that is obvious and painless. And wrong.

If we have a future, social media and the internet in general will be key parts of it. As I understand it, this is Bill Pulver's area of expertise.

Perhaps he is the right man for the job, after all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What do you expect a new CEO to do? Introduce a new product? Fiddling with the Laws of the game is one thing, but at the end of the day we have to select players who can compete at the higher levels of the official game, under the official Laws, because Internationals are our biggest cash cow.

Introduce a new competition? If the best rugby minds in the country cannot come up with anything better than we have got, then I am buggered if I can see some corporate high flyer doing any better. After all, we do have some pretty bright people involved in the game now, both paid and voluntary, including ex-players. If there is a magic bullet, I am pretty sure it would have been found, or invented, by now.

If we magically came into a nest egg of, say, a hundred million or so, we could afford to start from scratch and build a national competition. But any new competition, with new teams, would take a long time to become self-sustaining.

As has been said many times, for every difficult and complex problem, there is a solution that is obvious and painless. And wrong.

If we have a future, social media and the internet in general will be key parts of it. As I understand it, this is Bill Pulver's area of expertise.

Perhaps he is the right man for the job, after all.

You are correct, there is no magic bullet. I've tried to look at this from a number of different perspectives and I can't honestly see a way out the way things stand.

In regards Bill, I'll give a military analogy. He's the General George B. McClellan of Australian sport. We won't go broke with him in charge, nor will we see any great advance for the code. Whether this is the type of leader we need now is a matter of opinion.

I'd prefer a Ulysses S. Grant, but I'm not sure where we are going to find one for the money that we have.

(and I share your doubts about whether a corporate high flyer is the answer)

We honestly need an Ian Ritchie type, who spent 6 years at the All England Club and completely transformed Wimbledon and has now done an even better job with the RFU.

The right person might be out there, but if you conduct a worldwide search which then comes up with the Chairman's neighbour and school buddy, there's a fair chance that you're looking in the wrong place.