• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Declining participation and ARU plans for the future

Norfolk & Chance

Peter Burge (5)
Have you seen the numbers released by the ARU today? See link below.

Increased participation across all forms but 7.5% decrease in XVs in U12 to U18 age groups. Described as "disappointing but not unexpected". Seems almost fatalistic that phrase. The longer term aim should be how to retain the growth in the younger age groups and carry it into the U12 plus age groups. This leakage needs to be a focus, not just getting players in the door.

Hate to be overly cynical but I also wonder how many of the participants in other forms of the game are "unique". My experience is that many of the players tend to be doubling up (eg. XV and 7s). There's certainly going to be growth, but I suspect it isn't as significant as the raw numbers suggest.

http://www.aru.com.au/MediaReleases/Article/tabid/1699/ArticleID/18151/Sevens-Women’s-Rugby-and-Junior-Rugby-Increase-in-Historic-Olympic-Year.aspx

A participant is someone who is at a structured event, so when they have a trial day/meet a Waratah/meet a Wallaby day and they run a few drills for the kids that is counted as participation. Surely it cannot be hard to have a spreadsheet with names and delete duplicates to stop the double counting.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
A participant is someone who is at a structured event, so when they have a trial day/meet a Waratah/meet a Wallaby day and they run a few drills for the kids that is counted as participation. Surely it cannot be hard to have a spreadsheet with names and delete duplicates to stop the double counting.

and reduce the participant numbers? you can't have growth if you don't count each player 2 or 3 times.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

You're presuming that the ARU actually want to delete duplicates (or triplicates).:)

And in some cases, names aren't recorded. i.e. DO at X region runs a 7s gala day for local primary schools. 10 x primary schools turn up, each with squads of 10. The DO simply records 120 "participants" who have had a "rugby experience".

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are accepted norms for counting participation numbers in sport in Australia.

Why would the ARU use a method to reduce numbers particularly when there are links with government funding?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
There are accepted norms for counting participation numbers in sport in Australia.

Why would the ARU use a method to reduce numbers particularly when there are links with government funding?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The issue comes down to whether the ARU wants to use the information they have to help grow the game. It's a simplification but, understanding that the picture is greater participation but fewer players (or the same number, or just a few more) rather than greater participation and a growing number of players is important. Otherwise it's simply papering over the cracks - "Hey everyone our participation is up!"

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The issue comes down to whether the ARU wants to use the information they have to help grow the game. It's a simplification but, understanding that the picture is greater participation but fewer players (or the same number, or just a few more) rather than greater participation and a growing number of players is important. Otherwise it's simply papering over the cracks - "Hey everyone our participation is up!"

Clearly they do need to be aware of double counting and not allowing casual participation increases sugarcoat declining XVs participation but expecting the annual report to state that is crazy.

The annual report is going to state participation based on whatever the accepted criteria is for participation in sport in Australia. The ARU shoots itself in the foot enough accidentally. It certainly doesn't need an intentional self-inflicted wound.

Reactions: BAR

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The ARU receives funding grants from the government (Australia Sports Commission and other places) based on the governments participation criteria, as well as the high performance side of things for sevens. $2.7m last year

The ARU report against those criteria - which is why you don't see the registered player numbers etc these days - that's not the information the government uses to fund the sport. It means all sports are comparing against the same criteria

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Hard to understand growing the game and cutting a team being used at the same time.
Where does this leave the NRC if one of the teams goes?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hard to understand growing the game and cutting a team being used at the same time.
Where does this leave the NRC if one of the teams goes?
Nrc will be fine. Fiji are coming in anyway. Same format as last year I guess.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that's just my assumption. If WA Rugby wants to keep a Perth Spirit in the comp, I think that would be awesome. Not sure if it will happen though.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
that's just my assumption. If WA Rugby wants to keep a Perth Spirit in the comp, I think that would be awesome. Not sure if it will happen though.

Without a pathway to Super in WA, would players hang around to play in a semi-pro tournament that runs for a couple of months at the end of the season?

You might have clubbies turning out for the Spirit, but even that a squad of Pindan players would be weakened if the Force was boned.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder if there's any option for RugbyWA to seek out fielding a pro-team in some other competition?
Probably not but maybe a semi pro team in another competition that keeps some sort of pathway that does not send rugby in wa back to the dark ages.
I wonder if there's any option for RugbyWA to seek out fielding a pro-team in some other competition?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
If Force goes I will personally like many hundred other West Australians turn our back on rugby apart from local club, I will never ever ever ever go to another Wallabies match and have no interest whatsoever in other Eastern States teams, and will cancel our planned trip to the next World Cup, and am cancelling Fox subscription. Am totally disgusted in Puller & Cronies going back to Ewen's fiasco, so ARU - Shame, Shame, Shame!

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Well, the SARU will be launching 4 new pro teams beyond Super Rugby. Could be an option.

South Africa, Japan Top-League; I suppose it wouldn't hurt to enquire. Especially seeing as the Pampas XV played in South Africa.

I think it would be disgusting to lose that pathway, RL would be like a kid in a lolly-shop over here.

Top Bottom