• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Decriminilization of illicit drugs??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm not sure we have that here. But it looks like you just admitted that Cannabis is addictive.

C

Cave Dweller

I'm not sure we have that here. But it looks like you just admitted that Cannabis is addictive.
No. How do you treat cannabis addiction? Psychotherapy is the only answer. That is not a chemical addiction. There is no detox like with alcohol and hard drugs.

C

Cave Dweller

CD, just read this article: http://www.smh.com.au/world/americas-braced-for-debate-on-drug-war-20120414-1x02o.html

It says Argentina is considering decriminalising drug use and cultivation for personal use...also that Uruguay has never criminalise possession of small amounts etc...what's the experience/situation in Uruguay?
Same as the one I posted earlier about Argentina just different source. But read this
http://www.druglawreform.info/images/stories/documents/debate14.pdf

Uruguay never criminalized the possession of drugs for personal use. There is no quantity limits and the judge decide if it was for personal use or not. They are clever. They do not waste money and resources going after the user but go after traffickers with convictions. That is a very clever way to do it since going after the user do not stop help with anything. Heres a snippet of what the law says there.

“Whoever is in possession of a reasonable quantity exclusively destined for personal consumption-- as morally determined by the Judge, who would have to include his reasoning for such ruling in the sentence-- will be exempted from punishment.”
You can read the history here
http://www.druglawreform.info/image...Overload/TNI-Systems_Overload-uruguay-def.pdf

Holland also has the same thing almost and they have lower drug user rates than most countries.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has there ever been a country in recent years ever going back to strict drug laws after liberalising them? Or at a minimum, shown regret/desire to get back to these less than enlightened times?

C

Cave Dweller

Have look here. Portugal decriminalized the use and possession of heroin, cocaine, marijuana, LSD and other illicit street drugs.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=portugal-drug-decriminalization

Most of the countries have a trail first. Read this. It contains facts with official reports that back everything up that is stated.
http://druglibrary.net/schaffer/Library/basicfax.htm

deaths1.gif

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We as a society need to be more concerned as to why citizens want to alter their state of mind in the first place. Personnally I don't get why people would want to do it as a sound mind is such a precious thing in this life.

Substance abuse destroys the innocent also and I would love to know how decriminalising it will protect them?

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
We as a society need to be more concerned as to why citizens want to alter their state of mind in the first place. Personnally I don't get why people would want to do it as a sound mind is such a precious thing in this life.

Substance abuse destroys the innocent also and I would love to know how decriminalising it will protect them?
in Xanadu ddi kublai khan a stately pleasure dome decree.

C

Cave Dweller

I wonder if there's a graph that shows how many deaths are a result of enforcing the law...
lmao. It will be right at the top but that graph would be too small lol

Ruggo you got a good point but lets think of a couple of things. One is you mentioned abuse. I was referring to a thing like Cannabis. Do people abuse it or use it as a recreational thing like alcohol? Because its classed as a drug do not say everyone who takes a spliff is a bonified drug addict.

Other thing is how do you help a one who abuses substances?
1. By arresting him, giving him a record but no jail.
2. By helping him without giving him a record?

Remember decriminalising it will not mean trafficking and walking around with bags of cannabis is legal. It is just the personal use of it is legal. But dealing is still illegal. There is no point fighting drugs by locking the buyers up who use it personally. Why not rather use that money spent on helping the abusers and target the real problem the traffickers?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Flawed logic. Decriminalise it more people use it. More people use it more people abuse it. More people abuse it more money needed to help people with their addiction.

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

C

Cave Dweller

Flawed logic. Decriminalise it more people use it. More people use it more people abuse it. More people abuse it more money needed to help people with their addiction.

Decriminalise it more people use it
That is flawed. People are going to use it legal or not. Any proof that with decriminilization more people are going to use it?
There are about 50,000 products which can be made from the hemp plant.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't give a shit what they can make out of hemp. You don't need Marijuana to make hemp products. And people are more likely to use it if it's legal. Some will use it anyway but most people won't.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)

Is this a financial argument?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Wasn't it always a financial statement. Decriminalise it to raise revenue? To help people effected by the very same drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.