• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
DEWAR SHIELD ROUND 12
Foots 29 - 17 Mrbn
Melb 30 - 19 Uni
PH 18 - 49 Quins
SD 31 - 48 EH

19275018_10158767327500262_6554079594484504858_n.jpg

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Return of the Axemen? Love to see how this will work. Feels like a "Rising B" team.

https://melbournerebels.com/victorian-rugby/elite-pathways/the-victorian-axemen-return/

That's exactly what it is.

ACT run the Griffiths, Rams and Rays have an A side, and the Eagles run the Cockatoos as their As. It's a good model.

Hopefully it sees more locals play Rising by having a chance outside of training to earn a jersey. I also imagine it will function as a place to get some of next year's local Rebels 20s a couple of extra tough games a year.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Melbourne get the bye one of the weeks so they only get 4 points for that. But looking at their respective runs home they play 2 of the same teams. Box Hill need Quins to keep Melbourne under 4 tries and make sure they score big in most of their games, especially Souths, as Melbourne will as well. Box Hill have a 36 points in hand for the PD as well.

Round 15 8 July
Melbourne v Harlequins
Melbourne Uni v Moorabbin
Power House v Endeavour Hills
Footscray v Box Hill
Bye v Souths

Round 16 15 July
Endeavour Hills v Moorabbin
Box Hill v Power House
Footscray v Melbourne Uni
Melbourne v Souths
Bye v Harlequins

Round 17 22 July
Souths v Footscray
Moorabbin v Box Hill
Melbourne Uni v Power House
Harlequins v Endeavour Hills
Bye v Melbourne

Round 18 29 July
Box Hill v Souths
Power House v Melbourne
Harlequins v Melbourne Uni
Endeavour Hills v Footscray
Bye v Moorabbin

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Box Hill bloke just told me that Power House just forfeited to them in 2nds and 3rds. No matter what the issues are a club that is as big and as proud as Power House should be able to get 3 teams on the paddock. We have seen many clubs over the years have guys double up to make sure they meet their responsibilities and this just reeks of some teams that can't make finals just giving up. So much for the "Players Club".

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fuck me. Disappointing if true, given that it's a pretty big day down at Box Hill (Ladies High Tea then Pacific Night).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Power House forfeited 2s and 3s? Power House can't come up with 30 players? They opted against a 4ths (by preference) earlier on in the year.

If this is true, it's terrible. Like you've said Axemen, multiple clubs have found a way to make it work.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
38-40 current registered players for Power House on the injury list, with 20 of them being long term. Tough to put out 3 grades when you've got close to 3 starting line ups out injured.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
38-40 current registered players for Power House on the injury list, with 20 of them being long term. Tough to put out 3 grades when you've got close to 3 starting line ups out injured.
I reckon it is soft, convenient that the match they forfeit is an away game against teams who would beat them. They got 3 teams out last week for a home game against EH no problems - are you trying to tell me they got 15+ injuries last week. They going to send Box Hill some $$ for the loss in renenue of a home game? Plenty of clubs have injuries, and I remember when Hill struggled in 2013 not winning a single senior game for the season - but they never forfeited a grade all season. Pride in your club makes sure you can do it - maybe the 'players club' pride is all talk and when the chips are down they all go to the pub in St.Kilda instead of rolling up their sleeves.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Agreed Axemen. I think the injuries were a factor, but a lack of motivated players was certainly the deciding one.

Endeavor Hills 2s and 3s have been the same blokes for a couple of weeks now. Not one forfeit.

Plus, you're telling me Power House lost 2 grades worth of players to injury in 1 week? I don't believe that for a second.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I was just telling you what I knew. Yeah it sucks from a competition point of view, especially as a lot of the prem clubs have had to double or even sometimes triple up to play games over the last 10 years, but at the end of the day it's a tough ask to get players to play up to 240 minutes of rugby. I know I probably couldn't do it! House weren't going to make finals in either 2nd or 3rd grade so what's the point in risking further injuries?

Anyway, let's drop the tinfoil hats for the conspiracies about loss of revenue etc and look to the next 2 weeks of the rounds. Some big games coming up for both P1 and P2 with the final 4 not official yet.

20031847_10158925722110262_6564354993218435934_n.jpg

Round 17 22 July
Souths v Footscray
Moorabbin v Box Hill
Melbourne Uni v Power House
Harlequins v Endeavour Hills
Bye v Melbourne

Round 18 29 July
Box Hill v Souths
Power House v Melbourne
Harlequins v Melbourne Uni
Endeavour Hills v Footscray
Bye v Moorabbin

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
At a guess, it's fair to say the lost revenue for BH would be in the vicinity of $500 for drinks and food. Not going to destroy the club but not trivial.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
In a general sense I don't think they'll be too disappointed. High Tea and Island night were quite successful, and having the 10 Masters teams play always brings in cash, between the Guinness drinkers and the extra tinnie each and the small kids who want the best burger in Vic Rugby and the chips and the can of Ginger.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
In a general sense I don't think they'll be too disappointed. High Tea and Island night were quite successful, and having the 10 Masters teams play always brings in cash, between the Guinness drinkers and the extra tinnie each and the small kids who want the best burger in Vic Rugby and the chips and the can of Ginger.

Definitely the best burger in the competition at BOX HILL these days. Footscray was the best but they stopped doing the huge gourmet ones about 2 years ago - a real shame and one of the reasons I didn't venture west this year.
Hats off to the Rams and Pirates for having the Pluto Pups - are the Pirates still doing them this year?

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
Checking back in after a while....comments

As a PH man, the fact that we were not fielding 2nd and 3rd grades is not good at all, embarrassing. While not all comments above are 100% warranted there's every right for opposition players, the VRU and forum members to have the shits with PH. How do we fix it? NFI! Strategies and ideas surely welcome lakeside.

Footscray - love their momentum and spirit. Tia has them playing good footy and for everyone writing them off BH will be looking a little more edgy than they did during the year when they face them in finals.

Axemen - awesome news. The senior players have missed this step in the 'pathway' and it can only help, regardless of the cost or who they play.

Burger - hands down it is BH. Footscray had them for a while but out and out it has to be BH.

GF winner? Quins

Status
Not open for further replies.