• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Eltham Rugby has recently advertised both locally and internationally for Senior Coaches for the 2017 Season.
Several applications were received from as far afield as Spain and South Africa as well as locally. After months of deliberation and several interviews we are pleased to announce the Senior Coaching Positions for 2017.
Eltham Rugby envisage that not only will we be able to field Senior A and Senior B teams, in 2017, but for the first time in several years we will have a Colts (U20's). This is a major achievement as many clubs in Victoria struggle to fill teams in this competition level, a feat that we are proud to achieve after a lot of work.
The Senior Coaches for 2017 are as listed below:
Senior A - Dave Southwood
Colts - Bully Shaw
Pierre Pascal (Assistant Coach)
Senior B - Russell Hurdle

We would like to congratulate all the Senior Coaches for their appointments for 2017 and thank them for their commitment to Eltham Rugby. These appointments will help guide Eltham Rugby in the right direction for 2017 and beyond.
An announcement will be made regarding Junior Coaches once the positions have been finalised.
Regards
Bully Shaw
Director of Rugby

Eltham Rugby Club

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A strong claim to boast about how impressive it is that they're fielding a Colts side when it's months until the season kick-off.

Good luck to them, David Southwood is an excellent coach.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Sponsorship update. Nice work Broncos :)

LOTS of memories running over to this ATM for drinks, Beer cash and hot chicken rolls after said Beer.

broncos 711.JPG

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
For those more in the know, is it true that Pita Alatini is coaching at Uni in 2017? Massive signing if so.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
http://melbourneunirugby.com.au/news/coaching-announcement/

I am excited to announce that Tyronne Mitchell will be joining the MURFC in 2017. Tyronne has a wealth of experience, is a Level 3 ARU qualified coach and has recently just finished his role with the Melbourne Rebels and VRU after 10 years.
I had the pleasure of coaching the Rebels 20’s with Tyronne for a couple of years and he will be a fantastic addition to our Rugby Program.
Tyronne will act in the role of a Skills Specific Coach across the MURFC and he will spread his time across all grades and teams across the course of the year.
Welcome “T” to the MURFC.
Jase

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any updates from here?

My slightly informed, but probably wrong, bets for this year are:
  1. Melbourne and Quins to dominate yet again.
  2. Powerhouse to improve substantially on the back of some healthy spending. From what I hear, they've signed EVERYONE.
  3. Box Hill to hold strong but maybe not be the force we've grown to expect.
  4. Moorabbin to continue to read well on paper but sit mid-table.
  5. Souths/Footscray to struggle and potentially drop to D2.
  6. Kiwi-Hawthorn to make a joke of their division again and get promoted.
  7. Wydnham to win every junior grade.
And that's all. Thoughts?

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
rumblings in the west say footscray to surprise…a bit of new blood and polishing of rough diamonds.

Whats the word on uni? Has the jump start of northern affected them?

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Any updates from here?

My slightly informed, but probably wrong, bets for this year are:
  1. Melbourne and Quins to dominate yet again.
  2. Powerhouse to improve substantially on the back of some healthy spending. From what I hear, they've signed EVERYONE.
  3. Box Hill to hold strong but maybe not be the force we've grown to expect.
  4. Moorabbin to continue to read well on paper but sit mid-table.
  5. Souths/Footscray to struggle and potentially drop to D2.
  6. Kiwi-Hawthorn to make a joke of their division again and get promoted.
  7. Wydnham to win every junior grade.
And that's all. Thoughts?
You have to be kidding about kiwis coming up to Prems, they can barely field a 2nds team. I believe they actually forfeited their SF in 2nds, you have to have 3 Grades to play Prems. Their lack of depth would be exposed drastically, as one of the coaches at Quins told me once - a club shouldn't' be judged on the best 15 players as all the clubs have strong teams if they get their best on the field - but a clubs strength is based on what quality they have when player number 26-27 has to play 1st Grade due to injuries etc. They didn't dominate the comp that much last season, I didn't follow A Grade closely but I don't think they were undefeated. Eltham offer a greater long term Prems option; 2 solid Grade teams, a probable Colts team and juniors to feed. Though when they last came up to Prems they got spanked so not sure if they will want to go there again.
Interesting news on PH, didn't don't know they had that much cash to splash around with them still trying to get the new club house built, Steve Curnow I believe is the new President.
Word is a number of the Fijian lads at BH have gone home due to their visas finishing, no idea if any new guys have come over.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
You have to be kidding about kiwis coming up to Prems, they can barely field a 2nds team. I believe they actually forfeited their SF in 2nds, you have to have 3 Grades to play Prems. Their lack of depth would be exposed drastically, as one of the coaches at Quins told me once - a club shouldn't' be judged on the best 15 players as all the clubs have strong teams if they get their best on the field - but a clubs strength is based on what quality they have when player number 26-27 has to play 1st Grade due to injuries etc. They didn't dominate the comp that much last season, I didn't follow A Grade closely but I don't think they were undefeated. Eltham offer a greater long term Prems option; 2 solid Grade teams, a probable Colts team and juniors to feed. Though when they last came up to Prems they got spanked so not sure if they will want to go there again.
Interesting news on PH, didn't don't know they had that much cash to splash around with them still trying to get the new club house built, Steve Curnow I believe is the new President.
Word is a number of the Fijian lads at BH have gone home due to their visas finishing, no idea if any new guys have come over.

Hi Axeman,

Footscray and Souths are in the same situation at Kiwi with numbers currently and they're in Prems. Personally, I'd like to see a workable model produced to decouple grade numbers from whether you play Prems 1. I see the issues, but the fact is I think each 'team' should play at an appropriate level.

Either way, this is not me making up stuff about Kiwis, this is the company line around the club.

Good luck to Eltham, but I doubt they'll field that Colts but I hope that do. From people I've talked to, the interest in playing Prems in seniors just isn't there. Best of luck to them.

Personally, I'd like to5-year 5 year plan to get Wydnham to Premier grade based on their juniors, but IDK if that's realistic because I don't live the day-to-day of their club.

I can't CONFIRM what I've said about PH, it's all rumours at this stage of the year, but I can say I've heard it from multiple sources and know of at least 2 older players from clubs that've moved there.

And yeah, I think BH loses and gains about 5 Fijians a year due to the 2 year religious visas. Hopefully they keep the quality and numbers up.
rumblings in the west say footscray to surprise…a bit of new blood and polishing of rough diamonds.

Whats the word on uni? Has the jump start of northern affected them?
Who knows with Footscray, I'd back their coach Tia but a single good coach doesn't make a good club unfortunately.

No doubt it'd be tough for Uni to perform with Northern rumblings and if Footscray get their shit together, it'd be even more so. Watch this space I guess, we won't really know until round 3 what's going on.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hi Axeman,

Footscray and Souths are in the same situation at Kiwi with numbers currently and they're in Prems. Personally, I'd like to see a workable model produced to decouple grade numbers from whether you play Prems 1. I see the issues, but the fact is I think each 'team' should play at an appropriate level.

Either way, this is not me making up stuff about Kiwis, this is the company line around the club.

Good luck to Eltham, but I doubt they'll field that Colts but I hope that do. From people I've talked to, the interest in playing Prems in seniors just isn't there. Best of luck to them.

Personally, I'd like to5-year 5 year plan to get Wydnham to Premier grade based on their juniors, but IDK if that's realistic because I don't live the day-to-day of their club.

I can't CONFIRM what I've said about PH, it's all rumours at this stage of the year, but I can say I've heard it from multiple sources and know of at least 2 older players from clubs that've moved there.

And yeah, I think BH loses and gains about 5 Fijians a year due to the 2 year religious visas. Hopefully they keep the quality and numbers up.

Who knows with Footscray, I'd back their coach Tia but a single good coach doesn't make a good club unfortunately.

No doubt it'd be tough for Uni to perform with Northern rumblings and if Footscray get their shit together, it'd be even more so. Watch this space I guess, we won't really know until round 3 what's going on.

Totally disagree with the fractured competition having different clubs play different Grades. Creates huge problems logistically, especially with Front Row reserves - we don't have enough props through Melbourne as it is and if teams have to be taking 6 props (World Rugby rules) for a team then their lower teams face uncontested scrum issues plus it destroys the club culture of playing together each Saturday which is a high importance to many players of all Grades.
I think you over estimate Kiwis ability - going from referee feedback they reckon the top teams in 2nd Grade are well above the A Grade teams, and watching the great game footage Kiwis put on their Facebook page the quality of the general play is poor. As said, how will Kiwis number 27 player go if he had to play 1st Grade - I know a guy who has played 1sts quite a bit (not a top 15 but plays a fair bit in 1sts for them) who couldn't even make his former Prems starting 3rd Grade team (admittedly one of the top 3rds teams). Footscray have sustained their presence since coming up but we all know have really struggled the last 2-3 years and Souths have been up and down over the last 15 years with some great peaks (2010 Grand Final) but are really struggling now. It isn't just about bringing one team up, it is a entire club so the performance of the entire club has to be viewed because that is the indication of how they will perform in their top grade.
Re Wyndham, the Juniors are fantastic - but they seem to have little interest themselves in developing into a long term Senior club. Word is they will play Colts this year which is fantastic but it was only 2 seasons ago that they not only didn't have a Seniors team but folded their U18 team mid season.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Responses in bold.

Totally disagree with the fractured competition having different clubs play different Grades. Creates huge problems logistically, especially with Front Row reserves - we don't have enough props through Melbourne as it is and if teams have to be taking 6 props (World Rugby rules) for a team then their lower teams face uncontested scrum issues plus it destroys the club culture of playing together each Saturday which is a high importance to many players of all Grades.

I did say - "Personally, I'd like to see a workable model produced to decouple grade numbers from whether you play Prems 1. I see the issues, but the fact is I think each 'team' should play at an appropriate level."

I don't feel this contradicts your point. The reality is, there's never been a model proposed or trialed.

I think you over estimate Kiwis ability - going from referee feedback they reckon the top teams in 2nd Grade are well above the A Grade teams, and watching the great game footage Kiwis put on their Facebook page the quality of the general play is poor. As said, how will Kiwis number 27 player go if he had to play 1st Grade - I know a guy who has played 1sts quite a bit (not a top 15 but plays a fair bit in 1sts for them) who couldn't even make his former Prems starting 3rd Grade team (admittedly one of the top 3rds teams).

I'm not disagreeing with you that Kiwis would be given a match against the top Prem 2 sides, but I also think the worse Premier grade teams would be too.

If the club wins three 2A premierships in a row, you've got to say 'why not?'. They're also more financially sustainable than plenty of Premier clubs, by decree of the VRU and not I.

Footscray have sustained their presence since coming up but we all know have really struggled the last 2-3 years and Souths have been up and down over the last 15 years with some great peaks (2010 Grand Final) but are really struggling now. It isn't just about bringing one team up, it is a entire club so the performance of the entire club has to be viewed because that is the indication of how they will perform in their top grade.

Footscray and Souths (plus Endeavour) are major culprits of blokes playing 3rds, changing jerseys, and then playing 2nds. I respect the men that do this but it's papers over the cracks of some real issues.

Footscray have been back up for what, 5 years? For the last 3 years are least they've been in this situation, similar story for Souths.

Once again, not shitting on the clubs, it's tough for a suburban-based club, but to say they have a whole club solution and Kiwis/Eltham don't is questionable.

Re Wyndham, the Juniors are fantastic - but they seem to have little interest themselves in developing into a long term Senior club. Word is they will play Colts this year which is fantastic but it was only 2 seasons ago that they not only didn't have a Seniors team but folded their U18 team mid season.

Talking to Wyndham people they feel the lack of interest here is from the VRU - rightly or wrongly. The reason that U18s team folded was because of lack of subs and not lack of interest.

Anyway, I think their pathway is clear. Establish a seniors and a colts ASAP (ideally 2017), maintain and even grow a 2nds the following year. And within 3 years play prems.

They wouldn't be the first club to completely rebuild their base in a couple of years.

Axemen

Allen Oxlade (6)
Responses in bold.

Kiwis haven't won the last three 2A premierships? I am pretty sure they only won in 2016 - the 2 previous years they lost the Grand Finals to the Minor Premiers of each season Eltham and Geelong.

Status
Not open for further replies.