• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Dewar Shield 2017 & other Vic comps

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
From the Rebels website.

Harlequins will be looking to bounce back from the disappointing 1 point loss in the 2016 Grand Final to make their 5th consecutive Grand Final in 2017. The coaching team headed by Pom Simona returns for 2017, with the addition of former Fijian international Jose Thomas taking over the S&C reigns.
Last Year: 2nd
Coaching Team: Head Coach – Pom Simona, Assistant Coaches – Cliff Viliamu & Leo Taliu
Captain: Angus Hamilton
Overview with Pom Simona:
“There were many positives from 2016, over 50 players tasted 1st grade rugby with many Colts getting the opportunity to learn what is expected to play 1st Grade which will ensure they are better for the experience.”
“The culture and work ethic that was already in place at the club remains strong and the focus on increasing the professionalism throughout the club will continue to ensure we improve both on and off the field. The senior players are instrumental in driving self-improvement not only with the players but to the coaches and management. This is the real success of the Melbourne Rising and Rebels 20’s programs and where we have been extremely fortunate to have so many players involved in the programs. Players are exposed to a professional rugby environment and can then return to the club with all they have learnt and share it with their teammates and coaches.”
Having said all that, we ultimately fell short in the Grand Final so that is a learning experience and one we need to improve from.
Key Areas of Improvement needed:
“Increasing our skills, game knowledge and fitness throughout the whole squad is definitely a priority. Rugby is still a basic game and the core factors of the game such as defence, set piece and game management are areas that constantly need improving and evolving which is an area that we let ourselves down on last year.”
Players to watch for 2017:
“Mahe Vailanu is still only a Colt, but coming into his 2nd year of 1st Grade will only see him improve. Playing at hooker, he has the skills, power and strength to play anywhere and always does it with a big smile on his face. Mahe has everything that is needed to play at the next level with some hard work. “

“Kelu Vaele was the competitions top try scorer in 2016 but missed the last part of the season and the finals due to injury, and he is determined to make amends in 2017. He has trained extensively in the off season with Mana Fitness and looks in great shape to make 2017 a big season.”

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I knew there was something off about you.

Seems to be 90% you and I talking here + that MU supporter.

Are you not involved with any clubs?

Not anymore. I played juniors and then a year of colts at a club, but too many injuries and too many Saturday nights at hospitals made me pack it in and concentrate on refereeing.

Shameless plug for our FB page for people to give us a like and whatnot: https://www.facebook.com/vicrugbyrefs/

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
Rebels 20s supposedly having a hit out against a thrown together team of 1st graders from across the clubs...anyone got more details?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's a bit of an echo in here, but anywho.

Any news from clubland? Not hearing as much out of Melbourne and Quins as usual.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Any news from clubland? Not hearing as much out of Melbourne and Quins as usual.

I haven't heard much, Quins have had a decent turnover apparently but they blooded quite a few colts last year and a lot of their 1st XV towards the end of the year were still colts age.
Endeavour are looking for props apparently, I saw something on their FB pages about wanting/needing props.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I haven't heard much, Quins have had a decent turnover apparently but they blooded quite a few colts last year and a lot of their 1st XV towards the end of the year were still colts age.
Endeavour are looking for props apparently, I saw something on their FB pages about wanting/needing props.

The hooker and the 13 for Quins were Colts aged. Then maybe Valentini, Livadaras, and the 9 off the bench. Livadaras and the hooker are still Colts-aged, and Valentini is gone. Rest would be with grade.

Will be an interesting year, hopefully, there's an influx of new talent for Quins. Maybe they'll struggle? Doubt it though, they're Quins.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Greg Howard confirmed at Uni.

https://melbournerebels.com/2017/02...ugby-football-club-2017-dewar-shield-preview/

Melbourne University had a challenging year in 2016, but some tough decisions were made for the long term benefit of the club. The club lost 80% of the team that contested the 2015 Dewar Shield Grand Final, but all rugby clubs go through cycles and learn lessons along the way. In saying that, we blooded a very young Dewar Shield side all year knowing that we would struggle for the majority of the season. The upside to this is those players will all be better for the experience and there has been no turnover of players, in fact many players who left the club have returned and the club is in a very strong position heading into 2017.
Last Year: 8th
Coaching Team: Greg Coward (Head Coach – Dewar Shield), Assistant Coach James Waygood (Backs)
Captain: TBA
Overview with Jason Jones (General Manager, Coaching Director).
Things are looking very positive for the Club at the moment. Long before last season finished we started planning for 2017. A key appointment has been that of Tony Sephton as Head of Physical Performance for the club. Tony commenced work at Melb Uni Sport as their Elite Athlete Coordinator last year and literally sits next to me in the Uni office. I invited Tony down to a club training session at the end of last season and things developed pretty quickly from there. Tony has been to 2 Olympic Games and has extensive experience in the Elite Athlete and performance space and he and the Program he has put into place at the club is simply outstanding. The club have been training for nearly 6 months with Tony and his team and without doubt this is the fittest I have seen the club in 4 years. The rugby the club will play will be a reflection of the discipline and fitness that now exists club wide. We also have numerous players who will return for the Rebels 20’s Program which will be a massive boost of professionalism and talent to add to our roster. The players are fit, hungry and have a smile on their face and Greg and his coaching team will be excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. Melb Uni will have a very young, fit and physical Dewar Shield team whose goal is to make the top 4.
Key Areas of Improvement needed:
Playing depth is the obvious one. Losing so many 1st grade players in 2015 was always going to have an impact for period of time, but in some ways last season would be the making of this very young team. As already mentioned, the focus has been on performance and fitness, and the clubs baseline testing results are already markedly above that of those taken at the end of 2016.
We probably lacked depth in the backs last year and had forwards playing out wide towards the end of the year. If training is any guide, that won’t be a problem this year.
Players to watch for 2017:
Lots of new faces, but 2 new ones would be Joe Mawira and Matt Wilson.
Joe has moved across from Kenya where he was involved in their National 7’s Program and is built like an Olympian. He looks incredible with ball in hand and in full flight, and I think he will light up the Dewar Shield in the same way Sefa Naivalu did when he came onto the scene a few years ago.
Matt turned up on our doorstep at the end of last season. Originally a Professionally basketballer who was traveling the world, he wanted a change and with a kiwi background thought rugby would be worth a try. He is 6’6 and 140kg, and moves like outside back. He has not missed a training session in 6 months and could be anything…

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Strong rumours Quins have signed virtually all the Rebels Super 20s.

Not much of a comp with all the players going there.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Strong rumours Quins have signed virtually all the Rebels Super 20s.
Can you blame them? Quins probably have the best overall package to offer them in terms of professional set up in a local club?

Not much of a comp with all the players going there.

People were saying that last year but look what happened? Quins lost 2 games all year but were pushed very close in a lot of other games.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I was talking to some people yesterday and looks like Moorabbin have picked up about 15 Fijian players, not associated with the Island Breeze program, but who were just over for some work and what not.
From the sounds of it some originally went to Endeavour but after the others went to Moorabbin and told them how good the set up at Moorabbin was they jumped ship from Endeavour to the Rams. Might add a bit more spice to an already intense fixture.

They have some serious speed out wide as well so might look like going back to the traditional Moorabbin style of play in terms of quick ball and spreading it wide. Plus always looking for a counter attack. Should make for some entertaining rugby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was talking to some people yesterday and looks like Moorabbin have picked up about 15 Fijian players, not associated with the Island Breeze program, but who were just over for some work and what not.
From the sounds of it some originally went to Endeavour but after the others went to Moorabbin and told them how good the set up at Moorabbin was they jumped ship from Endeavour to the Rams. Might add a bit more spice to an already intense fixture.

They have some serious speed out wide as well so might look like going back to the traditional Moorabbin style of play in terms of quick ball and spreading it wide. Plus always looking for a counter attack. Should make for some entertaining rugby.

Damn, Endeavor were really relying on those players. Fair enough though, when you have the better infrastructure you get the better outcomes, there's no secrets here. JC runs a really tight ship and people either know that, or notice it.

Gone are the days of getting the boys down, doing some running for fitness, then some passing practice, then having a long coach chat, then a captains run, and done.

Time to revisit my 2017 Power Rankings.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've updated ladder predictions based on what I'm hearing from the clubs. I think 1-4 and 5-7 could be in any order really.

Just a guess, I'd love a debate!
  1. Melbourne (up two) - Hearing news of some really excellent recruits and great coaching stability.
  2. Power House (up one) - Same reasoning as above, they've recruited very well and are building on the club from last year (the traditional Power House issue has been the yearly resets). Plenty to be excited about.
  3. Harlequin (down two) - Apparently a really big turnover. They're Quins though, so a reset year doesn't look so bad.
  4. Moorabbin (up one) - Conflicting reports here, some say numbers are bad and other say that they've retained everyone from their excellent 2016 team and added to it. The influx of Fijian talent sounds interesting.
  5. Footscray (down one) - No change, excellent numbers and program run by coach Tia. Apparently, their only issue is getting coaches in place for all grades - this could cause depth issues in time.
  6. Melbourne University (up one) - I hear they've put together an absolutely excellent backline, and with a well-known Victorian coach in place things are looking up.
  7. Box Hill (up one) - High turnover, but apparently good numbers and athletes.
  8. Endeavour Hills (down two) - Without their Fijian recruits and with a new coach they're looking a lot like the Endeavour Hills of old.
  9. Southern Districts - Struggling, but I hope they surprise.

Sleeping Bear

Bob McCowan (2)
From what I understand endeavour hills and footscray played a trial on the weekend...both teams were missing players but overall footscray. Scores weren't counted but from what I understand footscray demonstrated a strong scrum and squad. Endeavour hills also showed a few flashes of brilliance.

Speaking to those involved with the dogs on the day they are quite excited by te days display, considering there were some key players who didn't feature. Thy believe they will be fielding a strong 1st and second grade teams.

Endeavour hills shower some promise however I would say it is down on last years polish but early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.