• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Did Joubert feel the pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
No - I've always maintained that we had enough posession, field positions and fire power in our players to overcome any perceived poor refereeing.

can vouch this one! Try to explain this to the Saffer lot after the B Lawrense performance aint easy but I have no doubt sticking to this basic rule of any rugby/soccer/cricket/hockey/netball match. One of the first things I try to teach my kids in sport and pretty much part of the sportmanship of any sport.

The biggest reward for any sportman sticking to this rule is that it makes it so much easier to move on after a loss which I feel is the best learning experiense specially for kids. They'll experiense losing many a time in their future day to day life and sport prepare them to become better persons in life.

D

Drexl

I believe if you are good enough to win and deserve to win, a referee will have no bearing on that.
In a 7-8 game a ref has no bearing? He is the one that award penalties. A penalty is 3 points. In a 1 point difference match, 3 points make the difference between winning and losing. Therefore ... (letting you finish the sentence) :)

I won't forget also the penalty unfairly awarded to Wales at the 75th minute that could have sunk France in the semis. Another 'great' decision. But it was Rolland that time. And the Welsh missed it.

how about watching the RWC Final for a 3rd time, and watch the French, and the French only - may be an eye opener (well at least help to open the other one, anyway).
This is where you are mistaken. If you look at one team only you are not seeing the skillful cheat:

- If you look at the French only:
they deserve the penalties.

- If you look at the ABs only:
Joubert let the game flow.

You must watch the game and look at both. It was uneven and unfair. And because it was a 1 point difference, you can say the world cup was decided on refereeing.

D

Drexl

I tried not but cant help myself when sad losers do. Joubert is a cheat, help yourself if it make you feel better. Your players was to weak to adapt to his rulings and like some try to tell you, thats the way he do his reffing. Adapt to the ref or die on the scoreboard. Suck it up and maybe after 4 years you'd be able to move on.

So, You advise me to move on from that historical defeat (I consider Joubert changed France's sport history) when you are unable to move on and stop posting in an Internet forum?
Why don't you be a role model and stop posting here? :)
No offense but I don't see why I should go away just because you asked.

Let me elaborate on this 'moving on' thing:

It is not about moving on from the defeat that I cannot do (France losing to the AB in the final of a RWC is honorable in my view). It is moving on from that referee humiliating millions by influencing the game with impunity.
The very reason why Joubert allowed himself to not referee both teams evenly is because he knows that people will 'move on'! This is the same principle in politics with unpopular measures. People will disagree, but they will move on eventually.
Those asking to move on endorse the 'I am a ref who can do anything' attitude which is wrong.

Joubert and O'Brien should be held responsible. They ruined international rugby.

A rugby forum such as this one is the perfect place to discuss this issue.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Drexl - it's up to you how you approach what happened and how you approach rugby in general - I can't change that.

Rugby has always been a sport where you have to play the ref - if you can't handle that & want to tell the world that the Joubert is a biased cheat who was paid off or whatever, that's entirely up to you - you'll get a few agreeing with you here and there and you can feel vindicated because these people agree with you (whilst you blindly ignore those who don't), but it won't change anything.

As far as I'm concerned we played the best rugby in the tournament, played the ref the best in the final and thus, its' our name engraved on the trophy.

And nothing could be fairer, or in my point of view, sweeter, than that. Chin up fella, next WC it's your turn to beat us again. Perhaps next time you'll win a final at your 4th attempt? As always, as long as it ain't against us, I'll be cheering for you.

EDIT: Just read your last post to PB.... think your getting a little silly now. Ruined Intl rugby... jaysus!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
So, You advise me to move on from that historical defeat (I consider Joubert changed France's sport history) when you are unable to move on and stop posting in an Internet forum?

Let me elaborate on this 'moving on' thing.

It is not about moving on from the defeat that I cannot do (France losing to the AB in the final of a RWC is honorable in my view). It is moving on from that referee humiliating millions by influencing the game with impunity.
The very reason why Joubert allowed himself to not referee both teams evenly is because he knows that people will 'move on'! This is the same principle in politics with unpopular measures. People will disagree, but they will move on eventually.
Those asking to move on endorse the 'I am a ref who can do anything' attitude which is wrong.

Joubert and O'Brien should be held responsible. They ruined international rugby.

This is my last post on this thread. I am on this place from many moons ago and this is the way I took a WC loss and my advice to you.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/9615-Congrats-Aussies!

Its up to you to take it or to sound like a sad losing tosser.

U

undercoverkiwi

Let me elaborate on this 'moving on' thing:

AAHHAAHAHHAHAHHA!!!!

You are awesome.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I LOVE this thread. Everytime I think it's time to come down off the high, someone posts here and keeps me up in the 'We are the Champions' euphoria.

The cheating claims and the complaints about referee bias somehow makes it even sweeter......I hope Drexl keeps posting till Christmas!!

This thread is awesome!! I can't believe it's still going......just a few more weeks and my Christmas will be one of the best ever!! CMON DREXL!!!

Lior

Herbert Moran (7)
I don't think there is any doubt out there that Joubert let the All Blacks get away with murder in the final, and that the French should have won. The reality is that is just the dynamics of how NZ play and masterfully get away with it. Australia is no stranger to this play, but we haven't exactly stolen a RWC Final on the back of it. France were the better team on the day and were let down by a number of refereeing decisions which many videos have alluded to. Joubert of course felt the pressure, and I think he thought he better just keep his whistle as far away from the game as possible. It's a shame because I think the French prepared for this match as if he was going to be strict at the breakdown. The All Blacks prepared for the match as ever.

I think having Joubert referee both the Semi Final and Final was also a huge mistake, and highly unfair for France as well as the All Blacks were certainly far more used to Joubert in the tough games then the French would be.

Bottom line is to all those who can't get over how they lost, it's just time to get over it. Nothing you can do now, of course you can take it out on Joubert next time he referees at Stade De France like the All Blacks do to Wayne Barnes. Fortunately the French coaching staff have chosen a dignified path and chosen not to blame the referee.

I must say wtf is Paddy O'Brien still doing there. This guy is an absolute clown. A terrible referee. A even worse administrator.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think there is any doubt out there that Joubert let the All Blacks get away with murder in the final, and that the French should have won. The reality is that is just the dynamics of how NZ play and masterfully get away with it. Australia is no stranger to this play, but we haven't exactly stolen a RWC Final on the back of it. France were the better team on the day and were let down by a number of refereeing decisions which many videos have alluded to. Joubert of course felt the pressure, and I think he thought he better just keep his whistle as far away from the game as possible. It's a shame because I think the French prepared for this match as if he was going to be strict at the breakdown. The All Blacks prepared for the match as ever.

I think having Joubert referee both the Semi Final and Final was also a huge mistake, and highly unfair for France as well as the All Blacks were certainly far more used to Joubert in the tough games then the French would be.

Bottom line is to all those who can't get over how they lost, it's just time to get over it. Nothing you can do now, of course you can take it out on Joubert next time he referees at Stade De France like the All Blacks do to Wayne Barnes. Fortunately the French coaching staff have chosen a dignified path and chosen not to blame the referee.

I must say wtf is Paddy O'Brien still doing there. This guy is an absolute clown. A terrible referee. A even worse administrator.

Keep it going......

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
And yes, absolutely no doubt, lets face it, if the French had been awarded a penalty like they absolutely should have then they DEFINITELY would have kicked it right?

And then if the ref was awarding that penalty, then he awarded have awarded more to NZ as well for them going off their feeet at rucks, and we DEFINITELY would have missed it.

IT is indeed a shame that NZ prepared for Joubert as Joubert always ref's and if you are correct that the French prepared incorrectly, that should also be held against NZ

Absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the French are worthy winners and if NZ had one percent of the dignity of the french, we would have handed them the cup and asked the IRB to rewrite it so the correct winners were named due the absolutely certainty that they really won on the day.

But actually, it runs a bti deeper.

I mean lets face it, SA were clearly robbed by Lawrence, right? Thus if Oz had one percent the dignifty of the French then we should have played SA in the semi at which point they may have beaten us too!

The mind boggles with all these permutations - I haven't even started on the Wales red card! Apparently they would have beatne us in the final as well! They just keep coming! Perhaps the french should have shown dignity there too and changed the result of that game?

Great post Lior, you are spot on - there is indeed, no doubt.

(think that'll do me for this thread - much to the sigh of the relief of the moderators, I'm sure)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom