• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

End of Year Tour 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Just a quick question... is Nathan Sharpe now officially retired or is he still available to play the Blacks in Brisbane and the EOYT next month?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can anyone definitively confirm that? Through some kind of source. I thought his post-match speech sounded like it was his last game but then again not much as been said if it was his last game.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
He is playing the Blecks. They have already done a story on how his final test will be in his home town.

But I wish he was going on the EOYT. Who is going to run the lineouts? Simmons was our backup but he is no where near the squad at the moment. Who calls for the Tahs? I'm guessing Douglas. Might be his chance to stamp a spot in the 15.

Cyril Towers (30)
He is playing the Blecks. They have already done a story on how his final test will be in his home town.

But I wish he was going on the EOYT. Who is going to run the lineouts? Simmons was our backup but he is no where near the squad at the moment. Who calls for the Tahs? I'm guessing Douglas. Might be his chance to stamp a spot in the 15.
Mumm used to call for the Tahs, but that ain't gunna work any more. Dave Dennis would do a good job but he's not guaranteed a start in the Wobs.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't know if that's such a good idea.

The Wallabies need to find someone to take over lineouts ASAP.

The EOYT would be the perfect opportunity to test that out and blood some of the younger guys BEFORE the Lions series.

dunno, we need the old bastard's leadership for Europe

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But equally we need to not drop games on the EOYT and lose ranking positions, with RWC seeding coming up.
I agree with Slim that we need to look forward, but the situation is a bit dire.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess it depends on who will be back leadership wise for the EOYT.

But if Pocock and Horwill aren't 100% then they should stay home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we're in the position that Pocock and Horwill are unavailable for the EOYT thus making Sharpe captain, it makes sense to ask him to keep going.

If we beat the All Blacks at Suncorp, it will probably be pretty tempting for him to retire right then though!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
We definitely shouldn't rush back either Poey or Kev. Especially the former. Hooper has been so good I've barely noticed the absence of one of the best open sides in the world.

It's a tough set of tests for the tour. We shouldn't take them at all lightly, not of we want to be on the other side of NZ in 2015.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
It's a tough set of tests for the tour. We shouldn't take them at all lightly, not of we want to be on the other side of NZ in 2015.

We should be planning to play NZ at some stage of the RWC2015 at any rate. Unless they go back to the choking (which they may as they don'thave 'home' support) and we want to win the thing we'll meet them sometime in the knockout stages.

As for Sharpie, I have mixed emotions in I want to see Australia preparing for the Lions next year but also wanting them to win every test. The question then is can we win all matches on the EOYT without him?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would you prefer to be seeded second for the tournament and be due to play New Zealand in the final or somewhere outside the top four and potentially face them in the quarter finals?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Would you prefer to be seeded second for the tournament and be due to play New Zealand in the final or somewhere outside the top four and potentially face them in the quarter finals?

I think we'd all rather be seeded 2nd so there is ample opportunity for another nation to take them out.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The leadership situation right now is dire. We all know about the Captain's Curse. To my mind, this overrides longer-term issues relating to turnover at lock. Australia has an abysmal record bringing players back from injury at the moment. If I was in charge, I'd tell Kev and Poey that they'll need to prove doubly fit before they get a run. Sending an extra young lock on tour and give them some run in the mid-week games would be wise. If leaving Sharpe at home means naming yet another new captain, that's a pretty bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.