• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England is coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
You mean the ones in which he's not banned? (Lions 2013, RWC 2015, etc.)

For stuff he did at domestic level..

He had an 8-week for the bite on Ferris in 2012 but that's been his only real transgression in the test arena. I don't think he actually missed any tests for that either - just the remainder of the domestic season!

It seems he only likes to take disciplinary vacations at the expense of his club employers.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
For stuff he did at domestic level..

He had an 8-week for the bite on Ferris in 2012 but that's been his only real transgression in the test arena. I don't think he actually missed any tests for that either - just the remainder of the domestic season!

It seems he only likes to take disciplinary vacations at the expense of his club employers.

Indiscretions seem to be his forte.

Having a hothead for captain? Good for Australia, bad for England

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Indiscretions seem to be his forte.

Having a hothead for captain? Good for Australia, bad for England

Worked well enough in the 6 Nations. If none of the homers were able to get that far under his skin we may struggle to do so short of recruiting Liam Messam to run water for the Wallabies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Worked well enough in the 6 Nations. If none of the homers were able to get that far under his skin we may struggle to do so short of recruiting Liam Messam to run water for the Wallabies.

Messam's antics as water runner are insane. It must be a deliberate tactic. No coach would allow it otherwise.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/_ti4oy9CEwI

2nd string England dispose of Wales fairly easily. Look like they might want to throw the ball around on the dry tracks down here. Looking forward to a ripper series

How Gatland has survived so long for Wales is a mystery to me. He is the Foley/Hickey of test rugby. Risk free trying not to lose rugby. Yes they won some 6N and Grand slams, but how much of that dominance translated into wins against Tier one sides away from the Euro?

A pity for the Welsh as a golden generation of players is reaching the end of their careers and under Gatland IMO their talent has been largely wasted. They could have played much better rugby than they have for so long.

That makes it hard to judge England, but I have always thought that they had the basis of a very good side if they could upskill and get a coach with some decent tactics to play a more complete game.

This series will be far closer than the RWC pool match would indicate it could be.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
https://www.youtube.com/embed/_ti4oy9CEwI

2nd string England dispose of Wales fairly easily. Look like they might want to throw the ball around on the dry tracks down here. Looking forward to a ripper series

The problem is, they have no experience throwing the ball round on hard pitches. They may have the potential to do so, and maybe even the players, but they'll get totally creamed if they try to take us on at our own game.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Why isn't Sydney at ANZ? Would have thought there would be enough interest at the right price.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Why isn't Sydney at ANZ? Would have thought there would be enough interest at the right price.
That assumes we should play games at ANZ because it has a larger capacity. The counter argument is that we should play them at Allianz because it's a better stadium. It's great for rugby that we have two tests at Allianz and AAMI. I think they'll also provide much better TV viewing.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
That assumes we should play games at ANZ because it has a larger capacity. The counter argument is that we should play them at Allianz because it's a better stadium. It's great for rugby that we have two tests at Allianz and AAMI. I think they'll also provide much better TV viewing.

I wasn't making those assumptions. My reasoning was bigger stadium generally equating to higher revenue for the governing body. More often than not that seems to take precedence over fan experience and I have read many of the complaints about ANZ in this regard.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
I believe a deal was reached a couple of years ago for Allianz to host one test a year (outside of RWC years) for a certain number of years.

Yes, a ten year deal was made from the Wales Test series a few years back. Given the new ARU Centre is being built next door (partly funded by the SCG Trust), I would imagine they would extend this agreement.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
90% for the three games?

That's something like: 27k at AAMI Park, 47k at Suncorp and 41k at Allianz.

Had a look on the ticketek site last night. Certainly looks to be at least 90% sold. there are a handful of nose bleed sections that still have large portions of empty seats but other than that every section is 99% full. given that the people of Brisbane are notorious for waiting until the day to buy a ticket, I think there is a good chance they break the 50k mark! exciting stuff.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Because the ARU has a deal with Allianz stadium for June tests until 2020 or something like that. And another deal with ANZ stadium for the Bledisloe Cup games, I'm not sure how many years, but a similar amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.