• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England unveil the Hakarena to counter the All Blacks Haka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Like a lot of things in rugby (i.e. the scrum), the haka has acquired a status not based on historical fact.

This is not to say that it's not a very significant part of the Maori culture, which it is, just that its rugby manifestation hasn't always been what it is now.

Some New Zealand players ham it up something rotten as well.

_44133694_haka300.jpg

Someone's inevitably going to mock that. It's a provocation: how ridiculous can I act before my demand for cultural sensitivity wears a bit thin.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
I don't care personally whether anybody mocks it or not.

But England will care after the All Blacks raped them because their sacred Haka got mocked, funy or not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I still remember the motivating factor to the ABs as Aus did passing drills near the posts under Greg Smith

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^That's right, but again if we go back to the 1973 clip posted on the previous page we see that the opposition paid no attention to the haka. In fact the All Blacks did it facing the crowd on the sidelines.

No doubt it's evolved and is now far more significant than it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.