• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v All Blacks, Twickers, 17 November 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

The problem with McCaw now is that he isn't quick enough to play the traditional 7 role. He can't get to the rucks quick enough like he used to effect the steals. But his linking role and all around work is so good you can't discard him.

He should actually be playing 6 now, but your 6's are so good he isn't going to get that spot either.

Having said that, I would be shocked if either McCaw or Carter made the 15RWC in their starting positions. They are both just too injury prone and they aren't getting any younger.

The stats ABs v France don't agree with you and I'm sure the stats ABs v ENG won't either. Can the GOAT do the same in two years at 35 years of age, I don't know.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd put more money on McCaw being in the RWC 2015 squad than Carter, not because Carter is past anything, but repetitive injuries are just not helping his cause. If both fit, I'd pick them in a flash. If neither are fit, the ABs don't drop much though.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
I'd put more money on McCaw being in the RWC 2015 squad than Carter, not because Carter is past anything, but repetitive injuries are just not helping his cause. If both fit, I'd pick them in a flash. If neither are fit, the ABs don't drop much though.

I agree. Hansen is building depth in those positions fortunately. Carter has expressed a desire to be there in 2015 and I think Hansen will nurse him through until then. How big a part he plays is another matter. I'm more concerned that we may lose Nonu and Conrad Smith.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Carter is still incredibly influential IMO. Him going off was a massive turning point in the game last night. If his sabbatical does as much for him as McCaw's did, then he'll be right for the World Cup. By then Barrett may well have overtaken Cruden, which is astonishing to think.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I like Cruden but I've yet to really see him step into a Test and feel like he owns the game the way you've seen the greats like Carter, Larkham etc do.

Sam Cane hs been good in the last few games but I think he's fortunate that Hansen and Co. see something in him that gets him picked ahead of the likes of Matt Todd (who has been good when in black as well) and Luke Braid.

I'd love to see Luke Braid get a chance next year if his form is as good in Super Rugby as it was this year. Massive work-rate and a huge motor.....I really rate him.

But when both fit, Carter and McCaw are easily the first choice still I think.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Interesting to hear these views but when you look at the stats Carter deserves his spot still.

He is stronger on defence, his goal kicking is better, his kicking meters are greater, and the backline functions with more fluidity when he's there. How could you start Cruden?

It seems that most of the more respected rugby brains here concur anyway.

Don't forget Barrett either! I think long term he offers more than Cruden.

And, although he's played more 15 than 10 since the U20s world cup, don't forget Anscombe is still in the wings. IMO he has all the skills and ability to make it at the top.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like Cruden but I've yet to really see him step into a Test and feel like he owns the game the way you've seen the greats like Carter, Larkham etc do.

Sam Cane hs been good in the last few games but I think he's fortunate that Hansen and Co. see something in him that gets him picked ahead of the likes of Matt Todd (who has been good when in black as well) and Luke Braid.

I'd love to see Luke Braid get a chance next year if his form is as good in Super Rugby as it was this year. Massive work-rate and a huge motor...I really rate him.

But when both fit, Carter and McCaw are easily the first choice still I think.

Where would you place Ardi Savea in the current and potential pecking orders for No 7? I think it won't be long before he is seen to be better than either Todd or Braid.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Currently, I would put Ardie Savea behind McCaw, Cane, Todd, Latimer and Braid.
He has freakish atheticism, but is way too raw.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The problem with McCaw now is that he isn't quick enough to play the traditional 7 role. He can't get to the rucks quick enough like he used to effect the steals. But his linking role and all around work is so good you can't discard him.

If this is true then it must be also true that the rest of the NZ pack are also slowing down! In the France game McCaw was first to the ruck more than 10 times (that's being first more times than many of our forwards ever get to rucks).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
McCaw is still king of the jungle. You can't buy experience and aura (mana???), and while the young bucks might have the edge in terms of athleticism, his impact on the game is unrivaled.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Demise greatly exaggerated etc etc.

Good match, beating the poms by 2 scores at Twickers is always a good result. I believe they are touring us next year for a 3 test series - absolutely cannot wait for that, might see if I can fly down for a game or 2 actually.

We did seem to get owned in the fat bastards for a decent part of the match - we also struggled with Joubert being his usual pedantic self. Read didn't deserve the card I don't think, but as others have alluded too, it was perhaps a team card.

Was bloody annoyed with the Pommy try - we'd been keeping them out for a while, and we've managed to sustain it, I think the heads would have dropped and it would have been a comfortable victory. Read should have just dived on that bloody ball, he tried to pick it up I think to get it to the backs as there was a hell of an opportunity there - risk/reward strategy we play.

England backline is a mystery. Farrell is good, mini-forest played well and Brown continues his superb form. Yes, the rest managed to turn them into probably the lamest top-tier backline in the game.

Oh and Ben Smith isn't a centre.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
please can someone give a heads up when the game makes it to youtube, preferably with a link

Can find neither hide nor hair of it yet

tia

Willin1

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree Smith is not a centre, and as good as he is on the wing, I doubt he'll ever cut the mustard inside.

Ardie Savea is a great prospect and he's such a huge talent I'm sure we'll be seeing him in black soon.

All we need now is to lure Tuivasa-Sheck back to rugby and into the AB's!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez I disagree, think Ben Smith is going ok at centre, apart from Conrad give me a few names of better centres, I know there are better ones around but not that many.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Ben Smith does all the little things that Conrad does, he's always there cleaning up and making the spot tackles when lesser players would still be 20m away. I think he's played pretty well there. Obviously not as well as when he was on the wing earlier this year and at 15 for the Highlanders, but still well.

Status
Not open for further replies.