• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
If the Red's have another Mare of a season like this year, I would seriously wonder how many of them should be selected in the team at all.

The Brumbies sucked arse in 2011 yet we still had the put up with Elsom, Ma'afu, Alexander and McCabe being picked.

Reactions: BDA

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Good luck to the guys on the weekend against the Poms...I hope we smash them.

But as far as this EOYT goes all we have discovered is that the usual suspects are still the usual suspects.

His introduced a few new guys, and a whole group of guys to a new system. Plus we are looking at 2 guys in front of Godwin with out alot of game time.

This EOYT we have had McMahon, Jones (2nd Cap), Speight, Faulkner, This year had Carter and Big Willie.

Remember alot of our guys don't have alot of tests eg Lealifanino, To'omua, Horne, TK, Tomane, Izzy, Foley, White, Hodgeson.. Even Phipps is back into the team.

Throw in that we have new coaches and don't you think they are trying to bring up the experience of guys most likely going to next years RWC, or should we throw a cap at Goodwin and English when the guys in front of them need more experience.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You mean when Cooper replaced him last game? He put in a nice grubber and threatened the line 2-3 times. Did more in 20 minute then Foley did all game.

I will say this again, Foley's game is limited. It works at super rugby because he is next to Beale and he is not limited. It doesn't work at Test level because both Beale and Foley have too many weaknesses.

Foley isn't in the gold jersey because he's the best, he's there because he's the last man standing. We only have 3 flyhalves who play in that position consistently all season in To'omua, Foley, Cooper. One is covering our lack of depth of at 12, and the other is injured (returning from injury now). All other options would be considered experimental given lack of game-time/experience in the position.

Let's agree to disagree on Foley :).

And no-one is suggesting that Beale play 12 for the Wallabies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Brumbies sucked arse in 2011 yet we still had the put up with Elsom, Ma'afu, Alexander and McCabe being picked.

And look where that got us, your proving my point for me.. I'd say pick the best players to win the world cup. It will include Red's players, like Genia, Cooper, Slipper, Fingers, Horwill, most likely.

But if they hit TRC in the form of this year's Red. Are Cooper and Genia going to start over Phipps and Foley.. not likely, even if it's not their fault.

EDIT: And if Phipps and Foley are having a 'Mare' of a season I don't expect them to start either.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

That's right. I think, though, that most Brumbies' fans had had enough of both Elsom and Ma'afu by that stage and couldn't understand their continued selection. Pat McCabe suffered from the game plan he was required to play as his subsequent form showed when he played more of a link man than bash it up artist. Benny A is still there because neither then nor now was there an obviously better option. Many Brumbies fans, myself included, have loudly lamented the omission of someone like Weeks or PAE from the EOYT but it is what it is, unfortunately. Now we'll possibly lose PAE, one of the most promising THPs, from our game for a long time.

Not really good examples imo. I am still grateful that the coach at the time (name?);) had the good sense not to select our No 10 in the Wallabies.

M

Moono75

His introduced a few new guys, and a whole group of guys to a new system. Plus we are looking at 2 guys in front of Godwin with out alot of game time.

This EOYT we have had McMahon, Jones (2nd Cap), Speight, Faulkner, This year had Carter and Big Willie.

Remember alot of our guys don't have alot of tests eg Lealifanino, To'omua, Horne, TK, Tomane, Izzy, Foley, White, Hodgeson.. Even Phipps is back into the team.

Throw in that we have new coaches and don't you think they are trying to bring up the experience of guys most likely going to next years RWC, or should we throw a cap at Goodwin and English when the guys in front of them need more experience.

In my opinion the EOYT has been a wasted opportunity. We haven't learnt enough about what the second tier players in the squad can do and we still don't know who our starters should be in a number of key positions. It seems to have been a long standing problem with Australian rugby. This has WC clusterfuck written all over it for 2015. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
In my opinion the EOYT has been a wasted opportunity. We haven't learnt enough about what the second tier players in the squad can do and we still don't know who our starters should be in a number of key positions. It seems to have been a long standing problem with Australian rugby. This has WC clusterfuck written all over it for 2015. Hope I'm proven wrong.

I will responsed but over in the RWC15 or EOYT threads. This is game thread and we should be talking about spanking the soap dodgers.

Speight and Izzy to unleash the pain 2 tries each and Slipper to score an intercept from 95 metres out (from our try line).

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
There's not one Tah in the side that hasn't been there all year! Horne is the only contentious one but that was always out of he & Tomane, the latter has been ok but hardly a 'gimme'..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it needs to be remembered that some players are coming back from long injuries, and are the incumbents, but now that they are fit, are not been given the chance to show their wares, unless you call the last 15 mins of the game adequate to find your tempo.
It is better to experiment now than two months out before the RWC.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is game thread and we should be talking about spanking the soap dodgers.

Speight and Izzy to unleash the pain 2 tries each.

And I think we will come away with a win in this one. The boys have copped a fair bit of criticism, some justified, but a lot of it over the top. (particularly if we look at the context of all that has occurred in the past 8 weeks)

I liked what I saw about the attack and some of the short interchange passing and I think that the backline may well cut loose in this one. The starting scrum is solid, lineout improves each week. I'm hopong that Simmons has a big one in his 50th, he's a good player and seems to have cut out the dumb penalties.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
We've had the one horror game we have every year when we look pedestrian - and got spanked by the ABs.
We are yet to have the one game where it all clicks and we look like a team that could beat the best in the world.
Hopefully that game will be this weekend.
Although I'd take a rain check for the final next year.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
We've had the one horror game we have every year when we look pedestrian - and got spanked by the ABs.
We are yet to have the one game where it all clicks and we look like a team that could beat the best in the world.
Hopefully that game will be this weekend.
Although I'd take a rain check for the final next year.

I think you're right. I've just got the feeling that this will be the week where it clicks (or most of it clicks anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.