• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's classic internet rugby forum to be talking about a guy who has never played a Super Rugby game as a potential solution to our problems at lock. o_O
No one said Rory was a solution, me and Biffo talked about Staniforth first and said we think he'd be a wallaby one day. He asked me Rory's name and if he was good. I said I didn't know.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mate no dickheads it is a general statement that refers to a team ethos. There will be different personalities in every team, some who don't get on, some who no-one wants to have a beer with after a game. I also couldn't care less if hooper was a "genuinely shit bloke" as it has not resulted in team disharmony, resignations, loss of public support.
On the other hand Beale has shown to be divisive, recalcitrant, and a serial offender. He is the text book case study of what counts as a no dickheads policy.

The team has continued to stand by Beale throughout this mess. Today Slipper is quoted in the media saying Beale was welcomed back to the squad.

It's all very well to say that Beale is a dickhead and that the team should have a no dickhead's policy but clearly the team as a whole don't think he's a dickhead.

Of the three amigos, arguably Beale and Cooper got themselves into more serious trouble than JOC (James O'Connor) ever did. People within the various teams (Wallabies and Super Rugby) continued to back Cooper and Beale far more than they ever did JOC (James O'Connor).

After all the trouble at the Rebels, it became very clear that the group was keen to move JOC (James O'Connor) on but was far more open to retaining Beale despite his transgressions being more obvious and serious.

Despite all his problems, it seems that the vast majority of Beale's teammates like the guy and continue to support him.

Maybe you need to question the character of all the players if you're unhappy with that.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Despite all his problems, it seems that the vast majority of Beale's teammates like the guy and continue to support him.

Good point. There must be something quite significant about his character which influences others in a positive way. We don't get to see that from our position so removed from the team, but on tours and camps they get to know each other very well.

It is astounding that one person can punch his captain and broadcast lewd pictures of a member of the team management, yet also command friendship and respect from teammates. Beale seems to have multiple levels of personality.

T

Train Without a Station

BH,

The no dickheads policy goes beyond just being popular with the boys. It is about putting the teams interests beyond the individuals. Selfish attitudes spread.

A single individual who doesn't have enough regard for the team doesn't do that much damage. The problem is other sees that it's acceptable to be selfish and as a result become more selfish themselves.

People talk like Beale is a misguided young kid. He's a senior member of the Wallabies. He's 2 months shy of his 26th birthday and has 47 caps. Can you honestly say he sets any sort of example on and off the field?

In a team with a good culture, players don't get to that stage of their career if they aren't. They either become one, or they get discarded along the way.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The players probably don't mind having a beer with Beale after the game , they just don't want to have 20 beers , those how know him seem to like him a lot , I sat next to some members of his family at a game and he came over after the match , I must say from the interaction I saw it seemed hard not to like him ...a real conundrum . And for the JOC (James O'Connor) comments ...He always had loads of talent , trained the house down but I think the sticking point was "Brand O'Connor " and him believing it a bit too much , what with the website , media etc ...which basically set him up for a fall with this countries "tall poppy" merchants and the hype also possibly alienating himself in a team environment . Thankfully that all seems to have changed as he has matured out of the intense glare of the media spotlight - all power to him .
Finally on the "No Dickheads" policy ... Try this exercise .. Try and pick a current potential Wallaby Squad made up of only dickheads , I bet you cant even come close ! ... However, how many would be left in parliament if the policy was enforced in Canberra .....

T

TOCC

It's all very well to say that Beale is a dickhead and that the team should have a no dickhead's policy but clearly the team as a whole don't think he's a dickhead.

Of the three amigos, arguably Beale and Cooper got themselves into more serious trouble than JOC (James O'Connor) ever did. People within the various teams (Wallabies and Super Rugby) continued to back Cooper and Beale far more than they ever did JOC (James O'Connor).

Come on Braveheart, of course Slipper is going to say he is happy to have Beale back in the team.. What did you expect him to say "nah, he is a dickhead and i don't want to see him", its obvious he has mates in the Wallabies who will look out for him, possibly the same mates were implicated in the texting scandal to start with(but thats another discussion). I know a former Wallaby teammate of Quade's who who was more then happy to tell people what he thought about him and his training ethic, but in front of the journalists it was a different story.

What a player is willing to say to the media and what he really thinks are two complete separate issues..most of the time anyway.

It's classic internet rugby forum to be talking about a guy who has never played a Super Rugby game as a potential solution to our problems at lock. o_O

Oh but I'm sure it was just a hyperbole and a joke o_O
I hear there is a U16 flyhallf coming through the system who is the Wallabies next saviour, lets start a thread about him!

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Great Chekia. As some delusional Tahs fans say.

hey, hey

i started calling him "The Great Cheik".
the grand Lee Grant abbreviated that to TGC.

you calling LG and me delusional, Punk?

BTW, FYI
the man's family name is Cheika
that's CHEIKA
C-H-E-I-K-A

do we have to send a few truckloads of language teachers down the Hume as a technical package to the ACT, in addition to the Soup team we alredy supply to you?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Come on Braveheart, of course Slipper is going to say he is happy to have Beale back in the team.. What did you expect him to say "nah, he is a dickhead and i don't want to see him", its obvious he has mates in the Wallabies who will look out for him, possibly the same mates were implicated in the texting scandal to start with(but thats another discussion). I know a former Wallaby teammate of Quade's who who was more then happy to tell people what he thought about him and his training ethic, but in front of the journalists it was a different story.

What a player is willing to say to the media and what he really thinks are two complete separate issues..

I don't disagree that what people are willing to say to the media and what they really think can be two different things.

However, if you're trying to work out whether the Wallabies as a whole think Beale is a good bloke and someone they want as part of the squad or the complete opposite, all signs point towards them wanting him to remain part of the group.

Do you think there would have been as many players publicly supporting him at various points in his career if the rest of the players were hoping he'd just leave and go overseas or to rugby league?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Stupid nickname perpetuated by. Well you make up your own mind.

argue it with Sir Lee Grant. when you reach agreement, let us know. i am sure we are all breathless for your decision.

btw, "TGC" has been taken up on another large rugby web site.
i and afaik Lee Grant, don't post there

T

TOCC

I don't disagree that what people are willing to say to the media and what they really think can be two different things.

However, if you're trying to work out whether the Wallabies as a whole think Beale is a good bloke and someone they want as part of the squad or the complete opposite, all signs point towards them wanting him to remain part of the group.

Do you think there would have been as many players publicly supporting him at various points in his career if the rest of the players were hoping he'd just leave and go overseas or to rugby league?

Well it depends on the context in which they came out and publicly supported him, it was the biggest rugby story of the year and that's all the rugby journalists were interested in talking about. When players front up for a media interview to discuss the upcoming Bledisloe or European Test match, the questioning obviously steered on to the topic..

Teammates won't publicly criticise a teammate...

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

What a player is willing to say to the media and what he really thinks are two complete separate issues..most of the time anyway.

Oh but I'm sure it was just a hyperbole and a joke o_O
I hear there is a U16 flyhallf coming through the system who is the Wallabies next saviour, lets start a thread about him!
Aren't we already talking about him (Beale)?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well it depends on the context in which they came out and publicly supported him, it was the biggest rugby story of the year and that's all the rugby journalists were interested in talking about. When players front up for a media interview to discuss the upcoming Bledisloe or European Test match, the questioning obviously steered on to the topic..

Teammates won't publicly criticise a teammate.

Are you trying to argue that the playing group think Beale is a dickhead and they actually can't wait to get rid of him?

All the evidence points to the contrary.

T

Train Without a Station

Are you trying to argue that the playing group think Beale is a dickhead and they actually can't wait to get rid of him?

Nah. He's simply saying that if that was the case, the players when probed by the media would probably trot out the same responses.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to me that assuming that the players are only being supportive of Beale because it's the professional thing to do when fronting the media and actually, they think he's a dickhead and wish he wasn't part of the group seems wishful thinking from fans who'd prefer for Beale not to be there.

T

TOCC

no thats not what i said, not even close

I was disputing your comments that a media interview is indicitive of a players true feeling towards another player..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It seems to me that assuming that the players are only being supportive of Beale because it's the professional thing to do when fronting the media and actually, they think he's a dickhead and wish he wasn't part of the group seems wishful thinking from fans who'd prefer for Beale not to be there.

That must be right - if the players thought he was a knob, TGC would know and would be a lot more circumspect in bringing him back

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
There's a reason Slipper and Hoops went to Link and asked him to keep KB (Kurtley Beale) on tour, and I'm guessing that reason isn't because they think he is a dickhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom