• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I cannot believe Kellaway has been selected.

He is so far away from that level it's not funny. Playing Super Rugby he was picked as a fullback and repeatedly shifted away from defending at fullback due to his weaknesses.

And Perese or Tupou are?

Relax TWAS, they're on tour as 'apprentices'. In the ARUs article about the development players its expressly says that they will not play a test on tour unless the squad is ravaged by injury. They'll get some minutes against the French Baa Baas and thats it.

Kellaway was the most arguably the most dominant schoolboy star we've seen since Kurtley Beale, and that form continued to Aus Schoolboys and 2x years of Aus u20s where he holds the most tries scored in a single tournament (previously set by Julian Savea).

He's excelled at Shute Shield every year since graduating and has shown some great NRC form over the last two years.

Yes he had a shaky Super Season but so did a lot of players this year, and he also had a lot of very promising moments. If we're selecting apprentices to travel with the squad without the pressure of making test appearances, isn't a player like Kellaway exactly who we're looking for? Look at his fucking resume!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We have to do something more than just picking on recent form. We have to start manufacturing some fly-halves.

We are not too badly off in most positions, but for some reason, we are just gash at what is probably the most important position on the field (apologies to all those tight head props who think they are).

that's actually pretty valid. Like we did with Larkham.

Vision so important. Do we see that in players anymore?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Kellaway went OK this year with the Tahs, probably better in attack than defence but that can be fixed (unless you're Quade Cooper, that is). Andrew's top end speed enabled him to get into position for many a movement leading to a try.

He's worth taking along as a development player.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I disagree,
Forget about how he went as a kid.
He's playing men now,and not yet excelling.
Pick him after he starts to excel.

Well hes played men at SS and NRC level and definitely excelled there.

People forget that he hasnt really been picked. Hes not getting playing time.

They've seen potential in him (can anyone refute he has immense potential?) and want to accelerate his develpoment. Thats literally the extent of this.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Kellaway looks a very good player in the making to me. He showed enough at Super level to suggest that bringing him into camp and embedding him in that system is the right thing.

T

Train Without a Station

So fatprop if Kellaway wasn't moved to hide his weaknesses, was Folau moved to 15 in defence to hide his?

Or are you saying that this never occured?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So fatprop if Kellaway wasn't moved to hide his weaknesses, was Folau moved to 15 in defence to hide his?

Your "interpretation" of the reason Folau was moved into the defensive pendulum is incorrect.

Having both of them available for kick return was the reason.

The same "reason" had Folau on the wing in that pendulum at times as it moved to defend the open side. I am pretty sure he wasn't hidden on the wing either

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
that's actually pretty valid. Like we did with Larkham.

Vision so important. Do we see that in players anymore?

It's probably more important for the Talent Identification guys to have "vision"

Not so much as the last schoolboy match but what the lad can turn into in a number of years time. That is visionary

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Some reasonable comments from Cheika here about the Korobeite selection.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...n/news-story/06aa3273422d6debfee1f7aee54818c9

“Any suggestions of cheapening the jersey are well off the mark,” Cheika said.
“He’ll play if he’s earnt it...
“There’ll always be that (criticism) but no-one’s getting a jersey for free and no-one ever will.
“I can understand if you want to be critical about the selection.
“The fact of the matter is I’m not cheapening the jersey because he hasn’t got one yet.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)

It's blindingly obvious that Folau defends at 15 as an offensive strategy, to limit opponents kicking options. The risk of Folau taking the ball coming forward at speed and then splitting the defence virtually rules out contestable midfield kicks.

Rugbybloke123

Herbert Moran (7)
How about debrezceni over Kellaway? he offers more to the wallabies as he can play FH,C or FB rather than kellaway who is FB or W and personally i don't rate atm. Not a knock on him he's a good player but I don't believe he warrants selection.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
How about debrezceni over Kellaway? he offers more to the wallabies as he can play FH,C or FB rather than kellaway who is FB or W and personally i don't rate atm. Not a knock on him he's a good player but I don't believe he warrants selection.
It's hard to know how the picked the lucky 4. I doubt it's as simplistic as the case you are making though. For example, in kellaway's case they may have identified that we will be short on quality kicking options from our back 3 players and given priority to a player they believe offers a future solution there (that's just being completely hypothetical).

Note that the implication is that they want to DEVELOP these players, not necessarily fast track them into the side, so their 'readiness' now probably wasn't high up in the selection criteria.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Kellaway went OK this year with the Tahs, probably better in attack than defence but that can be fixed (unless you're Quade Cooper, that is). Andrew's top end speed enabled him to get into position for many a movement leading to a try.

He's worth taking along as a development player.
Can we just maybe not throw these inflammatory asides into posts that have nothing to do with that player? There's been enough crap flying around this place of late. Please.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's hard to know how the picked the lucky 4. I doubt it's as simplistic as the case you are making though. For example, in kellaway's case they may have identified that we will be short on quality kicking options from our back 3 players and given priority to a player they believe offers a future solution there (that's just being completely hypothetical).

Note that the implication is that they want to DEVELOP these players, not necessarily fast track them into the side, so their 'readiness' now probably wasn't high up in the selection criteria.
Every one will always have their Preferred development player picks but whilst good to debate I think most people can accept those selected have talent worthy of developing irrespective of whether we prefer others..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.