• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EPS abolished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I cannot express just how big of a deal that is for rugby. Huge positive and massive error in judgement by the NRL. Hundreds of potential 18 year olds who play rugby decide to go with league because of the NYC. Immediate salary, professional training and club alignment for 18-20 years old in league compared to playing colts/grade for nothing in rugby is a big pulling power for would be prospects.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I cannot express just how big of a deal that is for rugby. Huge positive and massive error in judgement by the NRL. Hundreds of potential 18 year olds who play rugby decide to go with league because of the NYC. Immediate salary, professional training and club alignment for 18-20 years old in league compared to playing colts/grade for nothing in rugby is a big pulling power for would be prospects.

It's worth noting they aren't completely dumping it, just regearing it towards the seperate QLD and NSW comps with joint finals at the end to cut travel costs. What this'll mean for the money and training offered to the players involved is yet to be seen. Should still be a gain for rugby though.

The really interesting one is the potential draft. On the face of it I think it's probably a bad decision for them, it's a real gamble to impose these sort of restrictions on young players who can easily ply their trade in other sports or other competitions. The only drafts I'm aware of in world sport are in places where the majority of kids coming through can'y quickly and easily change sport or competition and play at the same high level (AFL, NFL, NBA, etc).

That said I really like the potential of a draft and where they exist they're a huge promotional boon for their respective sports. So there is opportunity in it for them if they get it right, though that is easier said then done.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
When Folau went to GWS the AFL hoped he wound attract Polynesian athletes to AFL. League commentators stated that Polynesians wouldn't want to play the game because the draft dictated where they had to play meaning they would be forced to move from their family community. League said that although the Polynesian players often played in NRL teams away from their family unit, the difference was that they had the choice. Sounds like PR spin to me but I wonder if those in League will be using the same line now they are proposing a draft.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Polys will never play AFL it doesn't suit their athletic make up. Big advantage for the rugby codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.