• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie - Life after the Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder, why can't the ARU adopt the QRU's approach and "promote" Deans to be the Director of Rugby of the Wallabies with Link becoming the "Head Coach". Have the proviso that Link gets the top gig if Robbie fails/contract runs out.
I seem to recall something along the lines of Deans and McKenzie will not work together. Anyone know any details?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ That could work but it all might come down to how much money is in the Salaries kitty at Club St Leonards.

Does anyone think Link and Dingo could work together?

What's happening with Nucifora's job?

More importantly what's happening with Nuci? There was allegedly a spotting of him at Japan 7's in official kit as well. Next Director of Aust 7's ---- scary prospect.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^
Sully, The horror story arose from this gem on IRB Sevens 2013 thread

Well I am now Officially worried.
Spotted wearing official team regalia and with the Aussie team on the sidelines was non other than Dr. Death himself, David Nucifora.
I really hop that is not a preview of the new Director of Sevens Rugby

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder, why can't the ARU adopt the QRU's approach and "promote" Deans to be the Director of Rugby of the Wallabies with Link becoming the "Head Coach". Have the proviso that Link gets the top gig if Robbie fails/contract runs out.

Wouldn't happen/Why would Ewen take that?

Only one of two things could happen in this scenario:

1. Link starts and things go well. Hooray, Deans is great.

2. Link starts and things don't go well. Every thing is shit, sack them all.

There is absolutely NOTHING for Ewen to gain from hitching his wagon to the Deans train.

He's waited too long to fuck it up like that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Australian rugby administrators have only themselves to blame if McKenzie, as expected, heads to Dublin, and Ireland will soon reap the benefits of the coach's magic.

Please Growden, tell me how the ARU are at fault here..

T

Train Without a Station

Clearly the massive mistake was re-signing him prior to the 2011 RWC. That was mind-blowingly stupid. Since then, he's done enough. 3rd at the RWC, 2nd in TRC, 3 out of 4 on the EOYT were never going to be reasons to sack him.

I imagine they could pull the trigger and fire him if we lost 3-0 against the Lions but I'd imagine he'd keep his job through the Rugby Championship with a 2-1 loss.

A terrible Rugby Championship and he could face the chop. Otherwise I think he will keep the job for 2014 with a reasonable showing through this year (i.e. similar to last year). If he's the coach at the start of 2014 then I'd imagine he'll be our coach right through to the end of the 2015 RWC when I think his time will end regardless of what happens.

He's out of contract this season. I think after years of mediocre results, below what our target has been, they have to say, it's not working and appoint somebody else if there are viable alternatives.

At the end of a day, if a player is out of contract and had never shown much in 6 seasons, and there was another player available on the market to replace him who looked like a quality player, would you not just not renew there contract and give the next player the opportunity... If Deans is the coach, you may not though...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Joe Schmidt has been appointed the new Ireland coach. Pleased myself that we have appointed a foreign coach who cannot have the children throw accusations of provincial bias at him. He will have a tough start in the autumn against Samoa, Aus and NZ. Anyway, congratulations to him and the very best of luck!!!

The Irish gig has been filled. Link won't be eating spuds for brekke, lunch and dinner in the short term.

The pressure on the Wobs Head Coach just ratcheted up a couple of notches.

With the recent non-changes to the ARU board, and revised constitution, what will the voting be like when Dingo's contract is up after the Lions?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Clearly the massive mistake was re-signing him prior to the 2011 RWC. That was mind-blowingly stupid. Since then, he's done enough. 3rd at the RWC, 2nd in TRC, 3 out of 4 on the EOYT were never going to be reasons to sack him.

I imagine they could pull the trigger and fire him if we lost 3-0 against the Lions but I'd imagine he'd keep his job through the Rugby Championship with a 2-1 loss.

A terrible Rugby Championship and he could face the chop. Otherwise I think he will keep the job for 2014 with a reasonable showing through this year (i.e. similar to last year). If he's the coach at the start of 2014 then I'd imagine he'll be our coach right through to the end of the 2015 RWC when I think his time will end regardless of what happens.

That makes me cry.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I not sure why anyone here thought Link had a chance of getting Irish gig, super 15 rugby coaches aren't that highly regarded in NH, and Links only coaching up there he got the arse for not being good enough, so apparently he was considered no show of the job there. Though Ireland perhaps should of looked at getting Link, he is a successful S15 coach, has been an assistant coach of Wallabies.........now can we think of anyone else that was a successful S15 coach, had done a bit of assistant coach gig at international level, and a rugby union begged him to become their coach???

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Personally if I was looking at a coach for Wallabies ,I would talk long and hard to Jake White, not saying anyone will, just thats probably what I would do.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
jake white would win lots of games for the wallabies, trophies too im sure
however as sure as i am of that> within a year we'll all be complaining about how boring they are playing and how we wanted an aussie coach who 'understands' australian rugby
with jake at the brumbies, ewen at the reds and cheika at the tahs weve seen how good coaching can bring out the best in our players>
whatever happens we all know the standard of coaching that our teams require to perform> It must be of utmost importance to the aru and provinces that this standard is maintained> i really fear for our teams when we eventually lose ewen and jake

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's why it's great that the Brumbies signed White for 4 years. He has plenty of time to influence Larkham and Fisher with the requirements of a top line Super coach. When he leaves one of these guys steps up and they other may look at a top gig at another team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Cheika might be in the running for the gig for the 2019 RWC. If he can get the Waratahs to the finals regularly then he'll be considered. But as Qwerty says he hasn't done much yet. They are sitting in 11th spot. Hickey did better with the team in terms of results in his first year from memory.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
im gunna take a wild guess and assume those of you questioning cheika havnt been watching the waratahs the last five years> any fan i know has seen a massive turnaround in all aspects of play from the the tahs
ive been there- i saw the hickey and foley tahs and i assure you cheika has already achieved a lot-
theres no tropheys at half way through the first season, but im not sure what else people are thinking he would have achieved at this stage?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd have to agree. They may not have the best record in the competition but recently have begun to hit their straps a bit and find themselves. Chex has got the Tahs playing uptempo and positive rugby - nobody has achieved that in years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the point that was being made is that let's not let half a season dictate who is selected as the next Wallabies coach.

Cheika has done plenty right with the Tahs this season but there is plenty more still to do. Let him do that first before he's considered for the Wallabies job.

Status
Not open for further replies.