• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Favorite Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
In light of the "Who F*cks* you off thread, I thought it would be interesting to see who peoples favorite players are. They can be from any era and any country.

I like wingers so...

1. Ben tune
2. Drew Mitchell
3. Clyde Rathbone

All very good and most importantly, exciting players. In my Opinion at least..

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
My Aussie list would be too long.

Really enjoy watching Fourie Du Preez & Bismarck Du Plessis.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Favorite players to watch:

Kurtley Beale
George Smith
Christian Lealiifano
James Stannard
Tatafu Polata-Nau
Sonny Bill Williams
David Pocock
Quade Cooper
Israel Dagg
Anthony Fainga'a (defending)
Rene Ranger

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Claw. Woodie. POC. And - although the legs have gone, now, at 37 - The Bull.

And, of course, the Unkillable One.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Ntamack was a fantastic winger. You forget just how good that mid-to-late '90s French team was.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'll show my age I suppose,

Oz:-
Campo
Horan
Kearns
Poidevin
Willie O
G & M Ella
Lloyd Walker

Everywhere else:-
Augustine Pichot
Frank Bunce/Walter Little
Michael Jones
Rupeni Caucau
Os Du Randt
Serge Blanco
Phillipe Sella
Ntemac
Olivier Magne
Dallaglio
Colin Chavis
Keith Wood
Gavin Hastings
Lomu
Cullen

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If we are talking all time...

Mark Ella
Michael Jones
Laurent Cabannes
Zinzan Brooke
Campo
Timmay
Nick Farr-Jones
Gary Teichmann
John Eales
Morts
Bernie
George Gregan
Mike Brewer
Philippe Sella
Serge Blanco
Simon Podevin
Phil Kearns
Joost
Henry Honiball
Colin Charvis
Jerry Guscott
Big Gav Hastings
Dean Richards
Franck Mesnel
BOD
Steve Cutler
Abdel Benazzi
Joe Stanley
Slacky
Noddy
Brett Papworth
Patrice Lagisquet

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Emile Ntamack

Wow, another Ntamack fan !? I liked him more as a centre, he just ran beautiful angles and the way he glided into gaps was so smooth and elegant. Unfortunately he was hopeless in defence.

That French flair era seems so long ago. A bunch of slender guys who looked like they'd never been in the weights room but all with verve, pace, clever footwork, and they made the ball sing. They did make ball skills and support play look easy. The irony is Ntamack as french backs coach has failed to bring that element to Les Bleus and they are suffering for it.

Of the current mob I most admire:
Stephen Moore - the way he's developed and rounded out his game since becoming a Wallaby. Too many guys fail to remedy their flaws. Moore has chipped away and crafted himself into a world class player. I also vastly prefer the big hookers - the 100 kg wannabe loose forwards shit me to tears. And Moore always seems to give his all whereas guys with 2-3 caps are out their twiddling their thumbs, not taking their opportunties.

Cliffy Palu - just so dynamic around the park. A gamebreaking forward. Should be wearing a big S on the front of his jersey. He does the impossible. Scrum backpedalling, 2 monster loose forwards about to pounce on him, and from a standing start he'll pick the ball up with one hand, palm one off, run over the other and storm forward looking for his next victim. Hulk smash !!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Count me as an Ntamack admirer also. He just used to glide across the paddock. Any time Australia wasn't playing them, I'd be supporting France. Growing up watching them they used to play with such skill and panache that it was really bloody exciting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
George Smith
Stephen Larkham
Willie O
Lomu
Rupeni
Horan
Eales

And the 2007 Argentinian RWC team for achieving the unthinkable 3rd place and showcasing an array of different rugby styles in the process.

They were a joy to watch.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
I had the pleasure of spending the early and mid eighties in Paris and saw a lot of the then five nations. France had a great team,and I got to meet most of them. My favourite player was Sella with Blanco close behind. My favourite Aust players are too numerous to mention but would include Hipwell and Gavin. I loved watching them play. There were better players that just didn't appeal to me for some reason. I also admired Jeremy Guscott who was larhely wasted in the English team of his time.

D

Doc

Would be quite a few to list all but hard to go past former Samoan hooker Trevor Leota (late 90s).

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Oz present - Shmoo, Beale, Pocock
Enemy present - Dan Carter, O'Driscoll, Fourie Du Preez, Chabal
Oz past - Tuqiri, Horan, Willy O, Eales
Enemy past - Lomu, Jerry Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.