• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Of the nearly 11 minutes in that interview, which I find entertaining, the core truths Brand repeated hold firm for every western democracy that speaks English as a first language:

It's broke, and needs not fixing, but replacing.

Unfortunately Gnostic is right - the system is bigger than any individual seeking change, and there are still too many who believe their vote means something.

The only people who can dissolve parliament have no interest in doing so. The only people who can disband political parties risk the ire of "democracy" as it is currently understood by the masses.

You can't be seen with another member of a motorcycle gang. But the corporate criminals flock together like migrating swallows.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ And we lock up some fairly decent folk in immigration detention for years and years, when all they wanted to do was come here for a chance at a better life. Meanwhile there are a fairly large number of supposedly legit foreigners here on some fairly questionable 457 visas that are bleeding the country dry, and in some instances running very proud and honourable Australian companies into the ground.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am convinced that sooner or later, but in my lifetime, Brand will be proved correct and will see one of the "Democracies" fall to revolution. My big fear is that it will take so long to achieve that the pendulum will have swung so far that the back swing will bring into power somebody like Adolf, and the collateral damage to get there will be huge and the damage to get away from the radicals even greater.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have a look at Coles today. I work in retail and even the ”Aussie" companies are infested with foreign talent.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What's the remedy? The only way I can see meaningful change is to put the republic debate back into full swing, but sadly there will be those willing to destroy that.

I don't support a Republic as an exercise of Pom bashing but as a chance to clean the slate, seek remedies to our current political problems and align our nation with the times and geographic circumstance we live in.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So what is Australia doing to upskill its workforce so we don't have to rely on foreigners to run our companies, and to reduce the ability of foreign Executives to bring their mates over here to replace "Australian Workers".

Over the years, I have worked with some very very ordinary performers (aka useless oxygen thieves) who had been hired on 457 visas, supposedly because there are no available Australians capable of performing that job. Frogs droppings.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What's the remedy? The only way I can see meaningful change is to put the republic debate back into full swing, but sadly there will be those willing to destroy that.

I don't support a Republic as an exercise of Pom bashing but as a chance to clean the slate, seek remedies to our current political problems and align our nation with the times and geographic circumstance we live in.

Like you, I wish to see Australia become a republic but in no way as a Pom bashing exercise. I will be grateful for as long as I live for having a predominantly English, Scottish and Irish heritage in the early days of this country. It seems to me that this mix of background goes a long way in establishing stable, fairer and more law abiding societies than most others that would have been on offer. And of course, it gave us rugby and cricket to fill in our time.

But Australia today is a mix of people from nearly every where in the world and being part of the British monarchy (even if she is called the Queen of Australia) is no longer relevant nor appropriate. We need to take the final steps to stand on our own two feet as a proud and independent country.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
A republic set up by our political elite? We'd end up in a worse position than we are now.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

No. A model put forward by "the political elite". Remember we the people will decide if we like it. I just see no other instrument to begin the changes we need. Respectfully my question of what's the remedy is legitimate in we really need to have a mature discussion about this.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I accept what you say, but there is an opinion piece in today's Canberra Times which forecasts that wages will now increase over the period because the planned extra super guarantee has been deferred.

Sounds like interest groups looking for excuses to me, there is the fact the everyone is "worse off" but whether that equates into wage increases as a direct result of this change, sounds like a stretch to me

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
- Australia is so stable in my view for a number of reasons, culturally we have never really liked those who put themselves forward too much, so revolutionary thinking doesn't gain a lot of traction. Second on this line of thought is the proliferation of home ownership/mortgages. A strange thought on the surface you might think, but I would direct you to the writings of Adam Smith and "The Wealth of Nations" and to paraphrase and bastardise that tome Smith wrote that a population that feels it has assets to lose will maintain the system, as opposed to the lower class revolts seen throughout Europe in the 17-19 centuries.

A David Williamson play explained it simpler, the apathy from being comfortable

Things may be shit for some, but for most things are all right.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sounds like interest groups looking for excuses to me, there is the fact the everyone is "worse off" but whether that equates into wage increases as a direct result of this change, sounds like a stretch to me

In Parliament yesterday, both Abbott and Hockey made great play of the fact they were putting more money in working Australians' pockets by deferring the guarantee rises. But of course, they are the ultimate (self) interest group, ie politicians.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
There's been a ton of talk recently about this delay of a guaranteed super increase or some such but I must confess to knowing nothing about the issue. Probably less than nothing actually.

Is there a link someone can post that will give me a quick précis of what it is and what the issues are?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Jaysus - I tapped back into this thread only to find we'd moved on from slating Abbott and co. to discussing the revolutionary overthrow of government. Shit escalates quickly in these parts!

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Coalition (or should I say "The COALition") have repealed the MRRT.

Why can't Australia have a Norwegian-style sovereign wealth fund? Norway's population are putative millionaires, yet Australians miss out on health-care, disability-care, education, etc.

The minerals belong to Australia, not overseas-based mining companies.

P.S. If the MRRT was such a dud, why are mining companies celebrating its demise?

P.P.S. Clive Palmer voting to repeal the MRRT - who da thunk it?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Coalition (or should I say "The COALition") have repealed the MRRT.

Why can't Australia have a Norwegian-style sovereign wealth fund? Norway's population are putative millionaires, yet Australians miss out on health-care, disability-care, education, etc.

The minerals belong to Australia, not overseas-based mining companies.

P.S. If the MRRT was such a dud, why are mining companies celebrating its demise?

Norway owned half the "assets" the fund came from their bit as I understand it

edit:

In 1972, the government founded the precursor of Statoil ASA, an integrated petroleum company. (In 2012, Statoil dividends from government shares was $2.4-billion). In the same year, the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate was also established, a government administrative body that has the objective of “creating the greatest possible values for society from the oil and gas activities by means of prudent resource management.”
In 1990, the precursor of the Government Pension Fund – Global (GPFG), a sovereign wealth fund, was established for surplus oil revenues. Today the GPFG is worth more than $700-billion.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...id-with-its-oil-and-we-didnt/article11959362/

Status
Not open for further replies.