• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
hqdefault.jpg

Be alert, but not alarmed. Steve Liebmann will look after us.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Something could happen. We have no idea what it is. It probably won't happen. What ever it is.

What are we being distracted from?
Of course we have a heightened risk of a terror attack.
Some fucking dickhead is stopping anyone they suspect might strap a bomb to their body from leaving the country.
If they are really lucky,some nob will let off a bomb somewhere,and Brandis will jump out of the bushes trying to get his draconian legislation through.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Something could happen. We have no idea what it is. It probably won't happen. What ever it is.

What are we being distracted from?

It will just draw attention away from the budget and other domestic issues the government is despised over.

Classic tactic from the coalition playbook. Shame is the Labor Senator that called it for what it is got reprimanded for it.

As we are at the centenary of the start of WW1, maybe a serious reflection of the geopolitical climate of the last 100 years and all the actions that lead it to where it is today. I don't hold much faith in Team Australia being able to see past the self righteous bull shit for a true analysis of the past decisions made by the west.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tony did ask ask us to give him and his government more credit the other day.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

He has previous form on that don't he? I remember him doing a deal with those Greens (yes Tony a minor party and that scum that entered into a minority government with PM Gillard) to get Australia's credit raised.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
It will just draw attention away from the budget and other domestic issues the government is despised over.

Classic tactic from the coalition playbook. Shame is the Labor Senator that called it for what it is got reprimanded for it.

As we are at the centenary of the start of WW1, maybe a serious reflection of the geopolitical climate of the last 100 years and all the actions that lead it to where it is today. I don't hold much faith in Team Australia being able to see past the self righteous bull shit for a true analysis of the past decisions made by the west.

The Labor Senator got reprimanded because they were naive to how national security issues are dealt with.

The Government of the day and defence force/AFP officials always brief the Opposition of the day about national security matters like this. It's been like that for years.

This is not a budget distraction whatsoever, for an ex intelligence head who has no allegiance with the current Government talk about heightened risk, well then it's not some casual issue we're talking about and something that should be taken seriously in my view.

Plus the spotlight on the budget won't ever go away - it's the gift that keeps giving (or taking depending on how you look at it) for the media. Plus Palmer won't allow it to stay out of the spotlight, it's in his interest to keep the uncertainty about it going.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The government were playing up the IS issue long before the ASIO boss made the call to heighten the lever or even dropped the hint it might happen.

The more more this gets tossed around the media cycle the more focus it detracts from domestic issues and are you seriously saying the government is not milking this for all it is worth? They and the PM need a hit in popularity and this issue is just the right medicine for them.

I don't doubt they are genuine in supporting the government but it is in Labors political interest to be very publicly supportive. Abbott is trying to look like a statesman and Shorten is playing the same tune to nullify it. The Labor Senator did not help this cause.

National security is generally dealt with behind closed doors but it is very convenient for the government to keep this churning in the public realm.

TEAM AUSTRALIA is classic wedge politics.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
National security is generally dealt with behind closed doors but it is very convenient for the government to keep this churning in the public realm.

TEAM AUSTRALIA is classic wedge politics.

Dunno, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't on this one.

We get 1% of the information available and presume to make judgements on the other 99%

So if something happens, and they hadn't done something, they look like idiots, and if nothing happens, it is "classic wedge politics"

On this "TEAM AUSTRALIA" stuff, whatever anyone says now on immigrants embracing "Australian Values" gets laughed at by the latte set. First we get a shallow philosophical analysis highlighting every negative Aus stereotype with a supercilious, superior sneers, with the rest getting laughed at as simplistic. But in reality it isn't a too bad ideal.

But he can't say what it really is "welcome, don't be a c*nt and leave your baggage behind you (it is why you moved isn't it?)"

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Dunno, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't on this one.

We get 1% of the information available and presume to make judgements on the other 99%

So if something happens, and they hadn't done something, they look like idiots, and if nothing happens, it is "classic wedge politics"

On this "TEAM AUSTRALIA" stuff, whatever anyone says now on immigrants embracing "Australian Values" gets laughed at by the latte set. First we get a shallow philosophical analysis highlighting every negative Aus stereotype with a supercilious, superior sneers, with the rest getting laughed at as simplistic. But in reality it isn't a too bad ideal.

But he can't say what it really is "welcome, don't be a c*nt and leave your baggage behind you (it is why you moved isn't it?)"

Was just wondering why you think Team Straya is not such a bad idea? My problem with slogans like these is they get stolen or corrupted so easily. In the governments case they can use it to avoid accountability, in the oppositions case they can belittle the government for the stupid slogan without offering a credible alternative.

Best stay away from empty ill defined slogans that have no firm cultural basis I always think.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was just wondering why you think Team Straya is not such a bad idea? My problem with slogans like these is they get stolen or corrupted so easily. In the governments case they can use it to avoid accountability, in the oppositions case they can belittle the government for the stupid slogan without offering a credible alternative.

Best stay away from empty ill defined slogans that have no firm cultural basis I always think.

Slogans suck, but the premise isn't a bad idea, but it is very difficulty to elucidate in a 10 sec TV sound bite

Now the premise of a team? Working towards a set of goals together, every part of the team doing their part.

I don't see that as essentially a bad thing

I just want people to want to say that they are "Australian Syrians" or "Australian Italians", not "Syrian Australians" or "Italian Australians" I respect and actually really enjoy the different heritages of all my friends, until I start hearing about some hatred that goes back 100s of year, meh, move on, leave this shit at the door and get on with their lives, oh and come to realise that your religions are all just bullocks

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Perhaps we should also note that each of the five eyes have raised there terror levels as well.

Also we have the G20 soon and it is a good way to set and check security issues now.

The left will always scream about increased security except in countries the held high once like Russia.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Perhaps they will scrutiny from some quarters, but not from others.

Tony Abbott, Joe Hockey face fiscal scrutiny
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...key-face-fiscal-scrutiny-20140913-10fiez.html

This is telling:-

"Tony Abbott was elected in September last year in part because of the fear of a debt and deficit "crisis" he and his Coalition frontbench whipped up.

But despite the "crisis" talk, in the months after being sworn in, he and his Treasurer, Joe Hockey, took no action. There was no mini-budget; there was no dramatic cut in expenditure; there was no increase in taxes. Nothing.

The government simply ambled along. Christmas came and went and it was not until the normal budget month of May this year that we saw the government plan to tackle the "crisis". By then, even those who had been panicked into voting Liberal because of the economic situation must have realised that it was all a ruse."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Slogans suck, but the premise isn't a bad idea, but it is very difficulty to elucidate in a 10 sec TV sound bite

Now the premise of a team? Working towards a set of goals together, every part of the team doing their part.

I don't see that as essentially a bad thing

I just want people to want to say that they are "Australian Syrians" or "Australian Italians", not "Syrian Australians" or "Italian Australians" I respect and actually really enjoy the different heritages of all my friends, until I start hearing about some hatred that goes back 100s of year, meh, move on, leave this shit at the door and get on with their lives, oh and come to realise that your religions are all just bullocks

But I would say a silent majority already do. Sad thing is they just don't draw the attention that the minority does.

I would seriously ask what are our "Australian values" and to what extent do we practice them beyond preaching them? I just recently helped a work friend study for the citizenship test. I couldn't believe the rosie bullshit version of our history and society it portrayed. It got me thinking about the question I ask above. The lady is a law abiding and tax paying contributor to our society and why the frog should she have to sit this ideological test about Australia when she is living it every bloody day.

I would also say our individual outlook on this issue is somewhat influenced by our social and geographic locations.

I can appreciate that many parts of the big cities have patches of ethnic groups that draw a lot of attention. My own outlook from Darwin is that it is a small city founded on it's multicultural establishment. It is probably very different to the Southern experience.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/p235x350/10612586_331002883735620_5408055884076106982_n.jpg?oh=b1a499c6a32f0a5ad0f28ebf6fb9b1d6&oe=54985B56&__gda__=1418771332_5db331360aaa1839fa6e3151083d4921

Status
Not open for further replies.